2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the forums so I thought I would contribute by recommending some USB drives to get the best response time on the infotainment. Ill try to confirm the difference between a low read first or second gen compared to a full bandwidth 2.0, but I am sure its responsible for significant lag for some users.

If you have lag while browsing your audio root file please post your USB stick model and size. We should see a faster index speed on quicker drives, if we do not the limitation is based on the Infotainment system.

I would recommend a USB 3.0 even if the slot is only 2.0 as the Random Read, which is incredible important for indexing will be much faster on more modern 3.0 drives.

Any FAT32 formatted drive should work in the USB port, so if you have a large amount of music theoretically any USB powered drive(no auxiliary power) should work. Link on bottom confirming a working 1 TB Passport drive, with very long load time. There seems to be a limit of 1000 contacts, so I will assume there is a storage and music limit. Here is a large USB drive Amazon.com: WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Auto Backup - Black: Computers & Accessories

Any old $5 usb drive from a bin could find itself easily overwhelmed when the Mazda is requesting an index, the faster the drive the quicker the index. Cleaning up your folders is advised.

My Recommendation: SanDisk Ultra 32gb Amazon.com : SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - Black : Camera & Photo

Fastest USB Stick Available: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Flash-Voyager-128GB-CMFVYGTX3-128GB/dp/B00LJWSHW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412633823&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+flash+voyager+gtx Has the speed of an entry level SSD. If someone has one, please let us know how long it takes to index X amount of songs. Read 450 MB/S; Write 350 MB/S

31 USB Drives Benchmarked: Some Of The Other Fast USB 3.0 Thumb Drives - 31 USB 3.0 Thumb Drives, Tested And Reviewed

Random Sample of High End USB Drives

I am assuming the USB ports are 2.0, please correct me if I am mistaken.

Any standard USB drive will do the job, most modern USB drives that do not come from a bargain bin or the checkout isle will have a sufficient transfer speed for music. Movies require a higher read speed.

Limit information http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123831389-USB-flash-drive-questions

1TB Drive Page Nine and other info http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/36474-what-size-usb-possible-9.html

·
Registered
476 Posts
Been using this Scandisk for many months. I leave it in all the time, loads within a few seconds of starting the car. Love the extremely low profile. Load times and moving around the folders/files has never been a problem.
here

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have about 40GB of songs on my 64GB Kingston USB drive and loading takes about a minute... Navigating is also painful because it takes a while for the artists to show up after I select a letter. It's almost impossible to scroll up and down... All these files are AAC. Any ideas on how to improve this?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
From my days of working with Flash, Sandisk consistently had the highest Data transfer rates out of any manufacture. They have the best controllers and speeds. We used to test using multiple methods including putting in devices not just pure data transfers but actual usages like cameras, phones, computers, etc. Consistently it wasn't even a fair comparison to the other brands with a 50 DSLR pictures shot on a camera taking half the time on with the Sandisk vs the highest speed Lexar product.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think this is related to the flash read speed. The comparison you're trying to make isn't fair because the Mazda will be mostly reading data from the flash drive, not writing. Cameras write a lot of megabytes. The problem here is related to the software of the infotainment system that can't handle all my music...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't think this is related to the flash read speed. The comparison you're trying to make isn't fair because the Mazda will be mostly reading data from the flash drive, not writing. Cameras write a lot of megabytes. The problem here is related to the software of the infotainment system that can't handle all my music...
It can make quite the difference sometimes. I've used a number of USB thumb drives over the years and if the memory used to make the drive doesn't have a good read or write speed, it can take a minute or two longer to transfer files to and from the drive.

You are correct, the car is only reading the data, but if your read speeds are slow, the car will index your music slowly, thus taking more time for the system to initialize. Faster read speeds=faster initialization and music switching. I've not compared the MZ3, but the Genesis Coupe I had before this, I originally had just a cheap $10 4GB wintec drive before I bought a much nicer 32GB OCZ drive. That 32GB drive fully loaded would initialize and the car would switch songs faster than it would with the 4GB drive. I know I know, I didn't call Bill Nye the Science Guy and get some actual numbers associated with it, but faster memory speeds=better infotainment performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been using this Scandisk for many months. I leave it in all the time, loads within a few seconds of starting the car. Love the extremely low profile. Load times and moving around the folders/files has never been a problem.
here
I'm using a 4GB SanDisk at present. It's not filled, but so far it works without hiccup. How much storage do you have filled on your SanDisk?

I had planned on using my 16GB iPod Touch 2nd Gen but the car won't recognized the device so I've opted to go for the standard flash drives. Kind of want to bump up to the 32GB but will the car even be able to index that amount of songs without me reaching my destination before it's finished?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using a 4GB SanDisk at present. It's not filled, but so far it works without hiccup. How much storage do you have filled on your SanDisk?

I had planned on using my 16GB iPod Touch 2nd Gen but the car won't recognized the device so I've opted to go for the standard flash drives. Kind of want to bump up to the 32GB but will the car even be able to index that amount of songs without me reaching my destination before it's finished?
It should help, the only downside to USB vs MP3 player is you can force a song to load from an MP3 player. Your dependent on the Infotainment with usb.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have a 500 gig samsung EVO 840 SSD in an external enclosure hooked to my usb port.. no speed problems here

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a brief test with an old first gen thumb drive and the USB drive from SC2CE, and it was very noticeable. The read speed on a genetic usb stick can be less than an mp3 bit rate. I would love to hear back from someone with a corsair vengeance gtx.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 500 gig samsung EVO 840 SSD in an external enclosure hooked to my usb port.. no speed problems here
How many songs get indexed and how long does it take? If you have no speed issue it basically defines the index limitations as drive based and not infotainment based which I assumed as the infotainment system would treat a usb as a secondary boot drive.

·
Registered
476 Posts

I have the 32GB model and have around 23GB's used. The system has never had any problems dealing with it. It loads as quick, if not quicker, than the infotainment system software. I just leave it in all the time. I've also never had a problem with it (the system) remembering where it left off, when I start the car up. Many of the problems that people have had, this last year, came from formatting the songs and creating the folder system incorrectly. It has to be kept simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm using one of these, SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB.

It has about 18GB of data on it on it and runs with negligible lag. Very, very quick. I'm very happy with it.

In terms of formatting and artwork, it picks up everything. That said, all of my audio is retagged by me so it is all correct with encoded album art. I also have OCD with folder organisation, so I use the 'folder' navigation option and it works like a dream.
USB Drive/[Artist - album]/Track 1.mp3 and so on...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm using one of these, SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB.

It has about 18GB of data on it on it and runs with negligible lag. Very, very quick. I'm very happy with it.

In terms of formatting and artwork, it picks up everything. That said, all of my audio is retagged by me so it is all correct with encoded album art. I also have OCD with folder organisation, so I use the 'folder' navigation option and it works like a dream.
USB Drive/[Artist - album]/Track 1.mp3 and so on...
Nice drive! Great point about tagging, that I failed to mention. Several of the problems, this past year, have been not tagging the songs yourself and/or using an outdated version of IDtag. Correct tagging, encoding and file structure, are critical to this system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried to connect a drive that is a USB 3.0 with 2.0 compatibility but it doesn't seem too....any thoughts?

2.5" 320GB Ultra Slim Portable External Hard Drive USB3.0 HDD Storage Compatible for PC, Desktop, Laptop, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4(Black)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts