2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good evening, I have been reading this thread with interest. I have the same 1.5 diesel engine. Recently, I have noticed the car feels down on power going up hills and very much so when a dpf regen is taking place.

To complicate matters about 3 weeks ago I filled it with petrol by mistake and had to get the tank drained. Coincidentally, the frequency of the dpf regens has increased. I have checked the engine oil and it was just below the X, so oil dilution has been occurring for some time.

Since then I have changed the oil and the regen interval has improved. I have also added an injector cleaner into a tank of fuel that I am half way through but the car still feels down on power intermittently.

I am starting to think about what to do next and was looking for some advice. Should I change the fuel filter? Would it be then best to get the injectors and high pressure fuel pump tested? Someone mentioned to me that it could take 2-3 lots of injector cleaner to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good evening, I have been reading this thread with interest. I have the same 1.5 diesel engine. Recently, I have noticed the car feels down on power going up hills and very much so when a dpf regen is taking place.

To complicate matters about 3 weeks ago I filled it with petrol by mistake and had to get the tank drained. Coincidentally, the frequency of the dpf regens has increased. I have checked the engine oil and it was just below the X, so oil dilution has been occurring for some time.

Since then I have changed the oil and the regen interval has improved. I have also added an injector cleaner into a tank of fuel that I am half way through but the car still feels down on power intermittently.

I am starting to think about what to do next and was looking for some advice. Should I change the fuel filter? Would it be then best to get the injectors and high pressure fuel pump tested? Someone mentioned to me that it could take 2-3 lots of injector cleaner to work.
How many km do you have?
Maybe you have soot/carbon build up in the intake.
Try to have a look to the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How many km do you have?
Maybe you have soot/carbon build up in the intake.
Try to have a look to the MAP sensor.
Car has done 95,000 Km. I have just bought a OBD usb cable to use with forscan, so I will check for any error codes and maybe recalibrate the injectors. Where is the MAP sensor and what am I looking for? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This was mine with only 57000 km in my Mazda6 2.2D engine.
Carbon build up is terrible in these engines due to EGR and that causes the lack of power.
In 2.2D engine it is located just over the alternator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for that, I will see if I can find the MAP sensor and see what it looks like. Did you clean it (what with) or replace it. I used to have a Mazda 6 GH with the 2.2 diesel and that was a great car and I never had any problems with it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take a picture of the engine w/o the cover and we can try to guess where it is.
In Spain there are very few 1.5D and there is not much information available.
Found it and part number confirm its the MAP. It has a bracket over it, held in with 2 bolts one of which is rusty in the second photo. I will have a go at cleaning it.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive wheel system Font Auto part
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

Thanks for the information about Forscan, I was just about to ask how I access this. I am a complete Noob with forscan and have only used it to check cam chain stretch on my old Mazda 6 and recalibrate the injectors on the 1.5 diesel. I am using forscan with a usb cable and win10 laptop. How do access the above information? Do I need an extended licence? This is the home screen I see.
Rectangle Line Font Gadget Computer

Thanks for all your help. Can you access any more info on the DPF, such as regen information and soot levels etc?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for that. Watched a few YouTube videos and I have set up my own PIDs. MAP pressure and exhaust gas differential pressure both seem to be close to what they should be. DPF seems to be regenerating every 235 km on average. At what number of grams of PM does an active regen start? I have seen both 5.5 and 6 grams mentioned.
Computer Personal computer Font Screenshot Laptop

The car has been running much better over the last few days. I added injector/EGR cleaner to the fuel tank about 500Km ago so that might have worked. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, where it is located? I have the same engine and wanna blast it with carb cleaner for good
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

It's a bitch to get to. The wire and the sensor are covered with a plastic part held in by 2 X 8mm bolts. The top bolt was seized solid, so I ended up snapping the plastic piece. I would recommend using a 1/4" mini ratchet. Now you can see the MAP sensor but you need to remove a torx screw (maybe T20) holding it in place but access is very poor. I will have another go some time. Let us know how you get on and post a photo of how dirty the sensor was when you removed it. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's the rubber coolant hoses and the coolant reservoir that are blocking access to the sensor. I think I will buy an offset ratchet screwdriver to remove that torx screw. I am keen to clean the sensor but dont want to cause any more damage!
I was referring to check the EGR because it is more simple to access to it.
Cleaning the MAP will not give you any benefit, it is just for checking how dirty the intake is.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts