2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,734 Posts
Higher injector pressures are more and more common these days. More pressure can lead to better combustion and less emissions from a diesel.
There is a phenomenon known as cavitation erosion, where super high pressure spikes are caused by the design of the flow path inside the injector. If the injector is made of a material that has a yield stress point that is less than the pressure peaks developed by the cavitation spikes, this will cause degradation, the injectors will fail prematurely. If the injector isn't replaced and the erosion is allowed to continue, the end of the injector can actually separate and enter the combustion chamber, causing engine failure. Google it, there are a number of research papers on this that have been published.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 3 skyactive 1.5 d
34 Posts
So…. I have ordered set of injectors from magengines on Friday night. Have just fitted them and took my car for test drive. BOOM distance between regenerations went from 20 to 50 and after avg consumption dropped from 7.1 to 5.4
It has to be faulty injectors, but I am quite at shock as my car has only 35000kms
Radek,
Any news, changes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Sasa Covic , greetings :) I am new here ,but i am active on other mazda's forume especially on slovenian one :)

Saša, treba mi nešto tvojih informacija, može? :)

Was the injectors the reason for short regeneration intervals or not? I had the same problem on my previous 6, where regeneration interval dropped at half, but i didn't resolve it, since i but a new 6 - 2017 year. Now i am looking at PM_DSD_ACC parameter, because this is the first sign for this kind of a problem.

But a collegue of mine, has the same problem on 2.2 mazda 6, regeneration interval dropped to around 130km. And we are looking for some options.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi there spektr,

In my case bad injectors caused shorter reg time. But my case was extreme-I had regeneration every 20 km. So, your colleague 130 km regeneration doesn't have to be caused by bad injector! My friendly suggestion is to go for diagnostics and check the values of injectors. Then you should know better!
Ps:
My regeneration goes around every 100km town ride…highway the same or even less

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, the problem is that nobody knows exactly what the injector values should be around? First thing is , that there is no big deviation between all of them, and the second i know is injector correction value. But, i think this is not all the science about injectors.
On my first mazda 6 with 2.0 diesel engine, one of the injectors was that bad, that car was stuttering while driving, but the regeneration interval was far from being halved. And consumption at that time was 0.5l higher.

What is the 'normal' regeneration interval on mazda 3? 200km? I am doing the 'town' ride and suburban driving, but the interval is around 250km, which is around the full distance for this car - average distance is around 250km, i know few exceptions that has interval around 280-300km, but they are doing very nice driving on highway and suburban.

What I am trying to say is that 100km is not very long interval, however i don't know what is average interval for your type of car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
310 - Nice :) I never managed to get that far, max around 280km.

I would too check Pm_GEN, PM_ACC_DSD parameters. Regeneration is triggered (if everything is normal) by PM_GEN parameter when the value reaches around 6 g/l. When something is not normal, PM_ACC_DSD increases then PM_aCC sync with PM:ACC_DSD and regeneration in that case is then triggered by PM_ACC PID, when value is again around 6 g/l. At that time, PM_GEN could be around 2-4g/l, it depends, but the important thing is that PM_ACC is much higher then PM_GEN, which is not normal.

But...why this happens is still a little mistery for me. Some users said that in that case helps:
  • cleanin the EGR and intake manifold
  • change washers on injectors
  • cleaning of DPF filter
  • replacing the egr valve

Another important info, when regeneration has finished, PM_ACC_dSD PID should be as close to zero as possible. If not, it could lead to DPF being clogged. One user from Polan forum, has this value after the regeneration around 2 g/l, for him cleaning of DPF was a solution.

But, right now , my collegue has this number after the regeneration around 0.4 g/l, and still has a halfed regeneration distance - around 120km for mazda 6 and we are searching for a solution :)
Pain in the ass...

·
Registered
34 Posts
OMG…guys…you just killed me with all this codenames and datas!!!
If you have read my previous posts, you can see that I am absolutely disappointed with 1.5 skyactive d engine. I never managed to get the answer about normal distance between regen and normal value of injectors at official Mazda service! Actually…I didnt get any concrete info from them. So I gave up. I managed to stop oil dilution, and made some improvements with regen distance. Now I placed an ad for sale, and waiting for buyer. Mazda d-never again…
One more thing- My brother in law asked me to buy him some “LOUNCH CRP429C” diagnostic tool. I will try to connect it to my car to check the injector values and inform you…

·
Registered
24 Posts
These 2.2D motors generate too much soot due to the EGR. Probably it is the same case for the 1.5D, but in Spain that motor is not common.
If you have many km behind, cleaning the complete intake should be a must. In Spain they usually do an ultrasonic cleaning.
Also many people observed that Xenum in & out was good for the motor response.
And for DPF cleaning there are also specific cabinets and seems that the result is quite good.
Regarding changing washers on injectors, seems that is also quite common in case of excessive consumption. There is people with 7.5 l/100km.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So guys, I have a 6's, 2.2 2015 with 117000km on the clock.
If I drive lower then 2000rpm in the town or highway, I can get 120-140km between regenerations, but on the highway over 2000rpm barelly 50km. Entire system has been mechanicaly cleaned, DPF, EGR etc...it can't be cleaner and I didn't get oil level rising
Nothing makes sense to me.
Recently on the highway I got an error P2262, Turbo boost preasure-mechanical which gone after one day. Thanks God! But that made me to reasearh more about sensors. I found if DPF sensor and Exhaust pressure sensor is/are not sending the right preasure information (all codes can be clear), that can be a problem for DPF. Really not sure, but next stage will be to upgrade DPF/Exaust sensor.

Funny thing is that when I monitor DPF on Smart Control app, driving lower then 2000pm reg starts around 40% (info per app but this is not valid), and over the 2000rpm starts around 15%.
It looks like something force ECU to start with regeneration on let's say half whey when RPM are higher. I'm almost OK with 150km...

Also I noticed a little higher consumption when I drive over 2000rpm(not average, but current) not being the case before.

Greetings from Serbia!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, the problem is that nobody knows exactly what the injector values should be around? First thing is , that there is no big deviation between all of them, and the second i know is injector correction value. But, i think this is not all the science about injectors.
On my first mazda 6 with 2.0 diesel engine, one of the injectors was that bad, that car was stuttering while driving, but the regeneration interval was far from being halved. And consumption at that time was 0.5l higher.

What is the 'normal' regeneration interval on mazda 3? 200km? I am doing the 'town' ride and suburban driving, but the interval is around 250km, which is around the full distance for this car - average distance is around 250km, i know few exceptions that has interval around 280-300km, but they are doing very nice driving on highway and suburban.

What I am trying to say is that 100km is not very long interval, however i don't know what is average interval for your type of car.
Spektr and previous posters to this topic.
I share the same 2.2d 2013- on engine with you in my M6.
The frequebcy of regeneration has reduced considerably to 52km. from 120+km. It was perhaps more, but I had just got Forscan and started checking it.
After problems with DPF codes appearing whilst running at 120 km/hr for several hours on multiple occasions I got the dealer involved, who was stumped and then got Mazda Head office involved. The consus of opinion was the injectors are faulty, causing bad combustion and causing blockage of DPF.
The injectors are Denso so perhaps Mazda should be pushing for them to supply new ones that do not have this fault in the nozzles. Hopefully the nozzles have been modified to prevent this excessive wear to nozzle holes.
A set of injectors should last the life of the car say 240, 000km without touching other than the realearn (what ever that does).

It would seem a lot of small goods vehicles( often left running on tickover) delivering round the towns are diesel, so are they suffering the same DPF problems or is it a Mazda problem.
Heavy acceleration through the gears is hardly the answer, that does nothing but put more stress on an engine and cause more pollution.
Have a read of this, may be interesting towards the bottom.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did not use it, but many people from clubmazda6 in Spain said it was working.
In any case I think it is better the DPF cleaning in a cabinet + intake ultrasonic cleaning
Javier,

You can use soapy water for disolving carbon, then rinsing through with a hose pipe.
Is removing the DPF a two person job, oneto lower it and one to catch it underneath, or can it be lifted out from the top?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same problem, later on I needed to refurbish my fuel injectors. They said to me that the additives that I was adding picked up all the dirt from fuel system and clogged the injectors.
One month after my dpf was clogged and the differential pressure sensor died. At service they did a profesional dpf cleaning and changed the sensor. So far so good...
My driving with clogged fuel injector for months caused the dpf to fail. At the time that I serviced the injector it was already to late because months of driving like that clogged the dpf.
You said that you checked the injector so you probably need a good dpf cleaning like minsanity said and you will be good.
Or maybe your differential pressure sensor is slowly failing...
I hope my experience would help you a little bit.
When you say that the injectors were tested, can you say How!
How were the fuel injectors serviced?
I have stripped many injectors down so I know what I am talking about.
I doubt if additives would pick up dirt.
The only way to pick up dirt is to run your tank down low, ie empty, then the pump would suck the dirt up, but then your filter behind the battery is a 2 micron fuel filter and will protect the HP pump and injectors. If the filter blocks up then you will get fuel starvation and the engine will stop.
The Post Entitled Cavitation Erosion is nearer the answer than anything causing the DPF to block up.
Poor atomisation, more carbon, blocked DPF , frequent regens, too frequent and the DPF DP sensor light comes up. The light has many uses as does the code behind it.

How good are Mazda at testing the DP sensor, or do they just change it and charge you? Well I think its that , 3 figures later, same problem. They should have a rig for testing it off the car to prove it is faulty or not.
They don't have a clue about injectors, its just a component that's expensive. Do they have equipment to test them, I doubt it as they shouldn't be failing in normal circumstances, so it would never be used. If they did test them, do they know what they are looking at and how to correct it ( can they correct it with out changing them completely? )
If at every other service they were removed, tested, corrected ( if possible) they would pick up any leaking washers also, but would they replace the washers each time? A previous car never had the injectors touched in 200,000Km and ran well which the Mazda ones should be, but are the specs for the injectors good enough, hence the failures.
How many other makes of car have the same problem?

61 - 80 of 117 Posts