2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 3 skyactive 1.5 d
34 Posts
Yonef my friend...

When I started to read your last post, I thought that you have solution finally!!!
But the more I read it, the more confused I am...
I really don't understand how ECU can start regen without any sensors info...
For me, this fact is no logic. And as I already wrote, there is no logic to blame injectors for often regeneration!!!

''ECU thinks it need to increase exhaust temp. by adding more fuel, but adding more fuel makes it fuel-rich mixture, which creates more smoke, But more smoke is detected by ECU (regardless DPF is not clogged yet) and commands to start DPF regen before it got clogged''

The ECU should do this only in case that some sensor send specific readings, it shouldn't act like that ...I don't know...my head is going to blow

If guys from the shop are doing remapping's - do they have some option to remap ECU in order to work fine?

''meanwhile, I did 3200km and my oil need to go down the drain as it reached "x" mark on the dipstick (because it did 40 regens already)''

Meanwhile, after 900km since last oil change, my oil level is rising too...and I don't understand when they change the oil - why they pour it to the max level?

User manual quote: The level is normal if it is between the MIN and MAX marks

This is first vehicle that I own, and first official service I use, that pour oil to the max level! So far I never had this case in my driving experience...
So - next oil change, I wont do at official service, and the level is going between the MIN and MAX marks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Sasa,
Most of the things going on with ECU is out of my understanding as well, but I don't want to temper ECU and risk remapping it to cause some other problem, as it seems the guys from the shop are not very sure why ECU acts like it does and increase fuel rate regardless of all sensors readings are normal.
What I'm thinking is get rid of DPF completely and delete it from ECU. In Bulgaria this is not very legal, but there is no enforcement doing it, and I also don't go abroad with this car, so I guess I will drive it in here only.
Other thing to say: it is just a RIDICULOUS DPF regen system by mazda, never seen more stupid solution than this

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Sasa,
Most of the things going on with ECU is out of my understanding as well, but I don't want to temper ECU and risk remapping it to cause some other problem, as it seems the guys from the shop are not very sure why ECU acts like it does and increase fuel rate regardless of all sensors readings are normal.
What I'm thinking is get rid of DPF completely and delete it from ECU. In Bulgaria this is not very legal, but there is no enforcement doing it, and I also don't go abroad with this car, so I guess I will drive it in here only.
Other thing to say: it is just a RIDICULOUS DPF regen system by mazda, never seen more stupid solution than this
Yonef,

Next week I will probably have appointment at private Mazda service that I find in Belgrade where I am from. I have few phone conversations already with the guy that owns the service, and he informed Mazda central about my issue. They advised him with some ideas, so some day next week I will have to leave the car for a day with him. He told me that at the end, maybe the injectors ( maybe one, maybe two, maybe all four ) are the problem, but there is some other steps to be checked - done, before final judgment! He mentioned software and turbo also...anyhow, he sounded more cooperative than guys at official Mazda, but...we will see.
On the other hand he also failed to explain me why injectors can cause every 15-20km DPF regeneration?
'if the injector is faulty and sends more fuel - it could contaminate the DPF'
I really can't accept this explanation, but ok.
There is at least 4 temperature and 2 pressure sensors that can trigger regeneration, and you persistently insist that injectors are most likely the problem

'Other thing to say: it is just a RIDICULOUS DPF regen system by mazda, never seen more stupid solution than this' -I absolutely agree with you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sasa, please keep me posted with any development on this when you see this guy, and what will be outcome of this.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sasa, please keep me posted with any development on this when you see this guy, and what will be outcome of this.
Thank you so much!
Of course!!!
and in the meantime, if the worst happens, we may need to think about this as well:

I'm just thinking ahead...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Of course!!!
and in the meantime, if the worst happens, we may need to think about this as well:

I'm just thinking ahead...
Sasa / Yonef

I have cx3 1.5d and very same problem like yours. Regen happens every 20km more less and oil going up to ''x'' mark pretty fast.
I believe its not differential pressure that causes regen to start, but PM (Particle Matter) accumulation.
Car does drive perfect and does regeneration no problem but it is heavy on diesel and I have to keep an eye for regens to make sure they are completed before I stop the engine.
Mazda did send document to their dealers advising of a potential issue with Denso injectors which had sprayed diesel at incorrect pattern and I believe regular injector tester won't be able to see it.
Anyway my question is did you get yours sorted? I am just about to replace mine, but costs are way to high....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sasa / Yonef

I have cx3 1.5d and very same problem like yours. Regen happens every 20km more less and oil going up to ''x'' mark pretty fast.
I believe its not differential pressure that causes regen to start, but PM (Particle Matter) accumulation.
Car does drive perfect and does regeneration no problem but it is heavy on diesel and I have to keep an eye for regens to make sure they are completed before I stop the engine.
Mazda did send document to their dealers advising of a potential issue with Denso injectors which had sprayed diesel at incorrect pattern and I believe regular injector tester won't be able to see it.
Anyway my question is did you get yours sorted? I am just about to replace mine, but costs are way to high....
Dear Redek,

I didn't want to post anything until I finish some testing's. Now I see your post and I get very upset, because those are the similar/same issues info that Yonef and I had also. As I remember, Yonef changed every stinky sensor that exist and it turns out that that didn't do anything to solve the problem. In the end it comes down to one thing - faulty injectors! Faulty injectors sends more fuel! Unburned fuel effect oil level to raise and DPF to get dirty! Dirty DPF starts regeneration! Regeneration forces injectors to send more fuel in order to burn particles in DPF! And it goes around and around and around...never ended cycle!!!
Instead of driving pleasure-you find your self every day staring at Mazda's infotainment system display, waiting for DPF starts and finish regeneration...

This is what I did:
One new injector is pricey-around 1000€, and you have to buy/change four of them!
But guess what - no one told us that we must have the new one! You need S55013H50 injectors in good, working, tested condition, the ones that meet the factory values for our 1,5 skyactive d engine!!! ( or 2,2 d in Yonef's case )
And I found them in UAE for ~100€ for a peace! This Arab company imports used engines with low mileage, directly from Japan, and then disassemble parts (in our case injectors), send them to other company to test it, and if everything is ok, they sell them online.
So I took a risk: bought four injectors for 400€, pay DHL shipment 50€, and paid import taxes more than 100€ (it depends on state law how much they rip you off). When I finally get injectors I sent them to be tested ( for free...I know the guy who know the guy...) and they have pass the test - so the seller didn't lie!
In official Mazda service, they charged me ~100€ for installation, plus injector washer replacement ( it use to be made of copper, now they are made of aluminum ), injectors programing and forced DPF regeneration.
At service they told me ''it should be ok now...check the oil level on regular basis and if there is level rising, come again, but our opinion is that the problem is solved now'' .
So...it toked me around 650€ to buy and change the injectors. I took my 'old ones' for testing and still waiting for the results. And this was done one week and ~500km ago.

Today I changed the oil and oem filter at private garage and it cost around 60€. So official oil level test starts from today and that's why I didn't want to post anything before the end of the next week.

But, what I find out so far:
First DPF regeneration after service was made after 80km, the second was after 60km and the third was after 100+km, and then I stopped to pay attention. It is mostly city driving so the period will vary and it shouldn't be the same.
Any how - I don't get regenerations every day any more, and before this procedure I had them sometimes even two per day during city driving. With less regeneration, on board computer info now I have 4,5 l/100km fuel consumption hard city ride and before this I had 6,5 - 6,7 L/100km. Don't get me wrong, this is not an accurate consumption information of course, but there is absolute some positive changes with fuel consumption!
One more thing I noticed - there is no more that 'stupid sound' I had during regeneration when the clutch pedal is pressed, while changing gears from 2nd to 3rd...sound similar to pressure release valve...

So...Redek and Yonef... the things are getting better, so far!!! I will check the oil level and inform you, but I have a positive results finally, and I started to enjoy the ride again!!!
This guy from the Arab company have parts ( and injectors ) for 1.5d and for 2.2d Mazda engines, and I can recommend you to consider the solution and decision that I made. If you decide to do this, I will send you the contact.

Until then I will definitely continue to test and inform you about the results.

PS:
Yonef - stay away from private garages, that calls them self 'Mazda service'!!!
He took my car for~60km test ride with laptop connected, and then in garage that looks like shed, done 'forced regen'.
After this 'procedure' I get 'FPF malfunction' info on board computer in middle of nowhere, and finished on tow car ride to official Mazda service.

Regards

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Dear Redek,

I didn't want to post anything until I finish some testing's. Now I see your post and I get very upset, because those are the similar/same issues info that Yonef and I had also. As I remember, Yonef changed every stinky sensor that exist and it turns out that that didn't do anything to solve the problem. In the end it comes down to one thing - faulty injectors! Faulty injectors sends more fuel! Unburned fuel effect oil level to raise and DPF to get dirty! Dirty DPF starts regeneration! Regeneration forces injectors to send more fuel in order to burn particles in DPF! And it goes around and around and around...never ended cycle!!!
Instead of driving pleasure-you find your self every day staring at Mazda's infotainment system display, waiting for DPF starts and finish regeneration...

This is what I did:
One new injector is pricey-around 1000€, and you have to buy/change four of them!
But guess what - no one told us that we must have the new one! You need S55013H50 injectors in good, working, tested condition, the ones that meet the factory values for our 1,5 skyactive d engine!!! ( or 2,2 d in Yonef's case )
And I found them in UAE for ~100€ for a peace! This Arab company imports used engines with low mileage, directly from Japan, and then disassemble parts (in our case injectors), send them to other company to test it, and if everything is ok, they sell them online.
So I took a risk: bought four injectors for 400€, pay DHL shipment 50€, and paid import taxes more than 100€ (it depends on state law how much they rip you off). When I finally get injectors I sent them to be tested ( for free...I know the guy who know the guy...) and they have pass the test - so the seller didn't lie!
In official Mazda service, they charged me ~100€ for installation, plus injector washer replacement ( it use to be made of copper, now they are made of aluminum ), injectors programing and forced DPF regeneration.
At service they told me ''it should be ok now...check the oil level on regular basis and if there is level rising, come again, but our opinion is that the problem is solved now'' .
So...it toked me around 650€ to buy and change the injectors. I took my 'old ones' for testing and still waiting for the results. And this was done one week and ~500km ago.

Today I changed the oil and oem filter at private garage and it cost around 60€. So official oil level test starts from today and that's why I didn't want to post anything before the end of the next week.

But, what I find out so far:
First DPF regeneration after service was made after 80km, the second was after 60km and the third was after 100+km, and then I stopped to pay attention. It is mostly city driving so the period will vary and it shouldn't be the same.
Any how - I don't get regenerations every day any more, and before this procedure I had them sometimes even two per day during city driving. With less regeneration, on board computer info now I have 4,5 l/100km fuel consumption hard city ride and before this I had 6,5 - 6,7 L/100km. Don't get me wrong, this is not an accurate consumption information of course, but there is absolute some positive changes with fuel consumption!
One more thing I noticed - there is no more that 'stupid sound' I had during regeneration when the clutch pedal is pressed, while changing gears from 2nd to 3rd...sound similar to pressure release valve...

So...Redek and Yonef... the things are getting better, so far!!! I will check the oil level and inform you, but I have a positive results finally, and I started to enjoy the ride again!!!
This guy from the Arab company have parts ( and injectors ) for 1.5d and for 2.2d Mazda engines, and I can recommend you to consider the solution and decision that I made. If you decide to do this, I will send you the contact.

Until then I will definitely continue to test and inform you about the results.

PS:
Yonef - stay away from private garages, that calls them self 'Mazda service'!!!
He took my car for~60km test ride with laptop connected, and then in garage that looks like shed, done 'forced regen'.
After this 'procedure' I get 'FPF malfunction' info on board computer in middle of nowhere, and finished on tow car ride to official Mazda service.

Regards
Finally, a solution! Admire your resourcefulness, sir. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a great news Sasa.
I was almost sure that injecectors are at fault, but didn’t come across anybody who actually replaced them and shared the word with others so fair play to you mate.
If you could put me towards the company you have got your injectors from I will definitely give them a go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Finally, a solution! Admire your resourcefulness, sir. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Thanks man!
Well you are a witness of my suffering and I didn't want to surrender! I just hope that this is the solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is a great news Sasa.
I was almost sure that injecectors are at fault, but didn’t come across anybody who actually replaced them and shared the word with others so fair play to you mate.
If you could put me towards the company you have got your injectors from I will definitely give them a go.
Of course Radek! The company name is 'Mag engines'.
I am not sure that I can post a link of part, (@arathol I am sorry if I brake the rules, just try to help) but here it is:

You can see that one injector is 128 USD, but you can have 'coupon code' for 5% discount. So it will come ~100 € for 1 peace.
Little advice: call them on phone first and ask him for the price, maybe you can get additional discount! The guy name is Sain (or that is how I understand his name is and I think he is the boss) he speaks average English, but you will understand each other.
I hope this will help you!
Keep us informed

·
Registered
3 Posts
So…. I have ordered set of injectors from magengines on Friday night. Have just fitted them and took my car for test drive. BOOM distance between regenerations went from 20 to 50 and after avg consumption dropped from 7.1 to 5.4
It has to be faulty injectors, but I am quite at shock as my car has only 35000kms

·
Super Moderator
6,562 Posts
So…. I have ordered set of injectors from magengines on Friday night. Have just fitted them and took my car for test drive. BOOM distance between regenerations went from 20 to 50 and after avg consumption dropped from 7.1 to 5.4
It has to be faulty injectors, but I am quite at shock as my car has only 35000kms
Heres an idea - If you still have the original set of injectors, send them off to be evaluated. That might tell you why they stopped working. The real issue may not be the injectors at all, but something else that is causing the injectors to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Sasa,
Glad you did fixed it. I still haven't ordered injectors, I'm trying to find some locally and test them, but if not, I'll order some from the site you proposed.
Just wondering what is happened with your 'old' injectors, did you have them tested to confirm it was a faulty injector, and if possible, can you specify what was wrong with them - i.e dispersers were bad and fuel not fine sprayed? or Solenoids were bad causing injectors to spray more fuel than needed?
Also with 'new' injectors, if you have motorway drive, can you lookup how much distance you cover between regens on a motorway?

Thanks again for the update man!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well Radek...that was fast! Mine injectors arrived two days after payment (DHL), but it took me one week just for custom clearance! But this is some idiotic law in my state...then I send them for testing, and when I had them tested with positive results, I booked replacement service.
Injector replacement procedure, at Mazda dealership service, is theoretically fast- around 2 working hours.
In my case, it took 4+ hours, because one injector had 'damaged bar code', so they had to 'enter the code manually in order to program it'. The whole procedure: ordering; importing; testing; replacement...took around 3 weeks in my case.
When I picked up the car from service, I went straight with 'faulty' injectors to 'Tehnomotive company' and left them for testing's. So far, I have no results, but...owner of company, that can do testing of this 'specific denso injectors', is my best man's business associate, and so far...I have not been charged for anything. That's why I left the old injectors and told him that there is no hurry, and test them when he has some time...that was some 2 weeks ago.
I am sure that one of four of them should be ok, and my idea is to keep it as a spare...I don know
Heres an idea - If you still have the original set of injectors, send them off to be evaluated. That might tell you why they stopped working. The real issue may not be the injectors at all, but something else that is causing the injectors to fail prematurely.
Arathol, this is my idea also! Radek car has 35000 km, mine had 48000-50000 km when I noticed the problem!
What else can make the healthy injector bad, except theoretically faulty high pressure diesel pump?
Hey Sasa,
Glad you did fixed it. I still haven't ordered injectors, I'm trying to find some locally and test them, but if not, I'll order some from the site you proposed.
Just wondering what is happened with your 'old' injectors, did you have them tested to confirm it was a faulty injector, and if possible, can you specify what was wrong with them - i.e dispersers were bad and fuel not fine sprayed? or Solenoids were bad causing injectors to spray more fuel than needed?
Also with 'new' injectors, if you have motorway drive, can you lookup how much distance you cover between regens on a motorway?

Thanks again for the update man!
Yonef my friend!
To be honest with you, I have never managed to do figures in this case. All I wanted to know was - does the injectors gives a good diesel values or bad diesel values. I contacted a lot of 'diesel injectors services' and the one information that I get from all of them is that those specific Denso injectors are not reparable!!! The Denso manufacturer haven't placed the service parts on the market...so far. In our case, I think there is Piezo parts in it...
So, when you ask about dispersers or solenoids, I understand your point completely, but is something is 'not reparable' I don't think that we can get an answer which part is bad...I don't know...
Before I ordered the injectors from guy at UAE, I asked him are those repaired parts. He explained to me that he does the complete used low mileage engines import directly from Japan, disassembles the parts, send them for test and if everything is ok - sells them. He also explain me that if he opens this type of injector-he can only throw them away after that...
I had some 200km high revs motorway ride yesterday, and had 2 regeneration- one after ~60km, other at ~70km after...
It took ~10km ride for both of them to finish, and I don't bother with regenerations at this moment. Yes - there is a difference between every 20km regeneration and 60-70-80km regeneration, and yes there is difference with 1,5-2L/100km less fuel consumption on board computer...but. My main test results will be oil level - does it rise or stays at same level mark! After injectors been changed, I did oil and filter change also. And instead of 5L (which gets highest oil level mark on stick) I poured 4,5L and get oil level in a middle of low and high mark (at Mazdas user manual is stated that this oil level is normal)!
So I will check the level on regular basis, with car parked on the same spot and cold engine and inform you with the results...
And that's it by now...sorry to bother you with huuuge post's like always, but I hope that I helped anyhow.

Will keep you informed

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are indeed very helpful, Sasa! Thanks for the effort to update the forum so other colleagues in future will use the information as a help.
I'm definitely going to replace my injectors too, but I'll be utterly busy next couple of weeks, so I'll keep the thread updated when I do so.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,562 Posts
Arathol, this is my idea also! Radek car has 35000 km, mine had 48000-50000 km when I noticed the problem!
What else can make the healthy injector bad, except theoretically faulty high pressure diesel pump?
Its possible that using the wrong fuel can damage the injectors. If you are using any form of biodiesel in your tank that could do it, especially if it was contaminated to begin with. Blends of B20 (20% biofuel mix) and higher can foul injectors, cause crankcase oil dilution, clog the DPF filters faster and lots of other problems in the long run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its possible that using the wrong fuel can damage the injectors. If you are using any form of biodiesel in your tank that could do it, especially if it was contaminated to begin with. Blends of B20 (20% biofuel mix) and higher can foul injectors, cause crankcase oil dilution, clog the DPF filters faster and lots of other problems in the long run.
Nope...there is no biodiesel in my country...in any form. Just “euro diesel” which is common name for diesel in Europe...

·
Super Moderator
6,562 Posts
Assuming Serbia is still part of the EU, don't the RED mandates apply? That means 10% by year 2020....and it doesn't need to be marked as biodiesel....

Just having contaminated fuel can cause similar issues. Poorly maintained fuel storage tanks often have moisture content, and contaminated diesel fuel can do bad things to your engine.....and four injectors don't just fail at the same time for no reason....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Assuming Serbia is still part of the EU, don't the RED mandates apply? That means 10% by year 2020....and it doesn't need to be marked as biodiesel....

Just having contaminated fuel can cause similar issues. Poorly maintained fuel storage tanks often have moisture content, and contaminated diesel fuel can do bad things to your engine.....and four injectors don't just fail at the same time for no reason....
Serbia is not a EU member, so there is no 10% mixture of biodiesel so far. At beginning of this year the Government start to considerate this EU requirements. Anyhow, the fuel and storage tanks quality is probably questionable compared to Germany, France, Austria...
I have test info about my original injectors-there is only one left in good working condition. the 3 of them are faulty.
I asked the the guy who tested them what is the cause of injectors failure? Is it the bad fuel, or bad fuel pump or similar?
He explained to me that in this Denso case, the main and only reason is a bad material of the part where injector holes are positioned. The holes expands due to 'material erosion' caused by hi (in this case normal) fuel pressure.
And he also explained to me that this a common problem with other car brands in last 5,6...years. At Europe car market, 'The engines capacity is getting smaller - fuel pump and injectors pressures getting higher!'
And at the end, one info that pissed me off : He claims that the cost of mass production, for one injector is not higher than 30-40 USD per unit!!!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts