2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I’m incredibly happy with the results of this BBK, I figured that I’d post about it! Also, I’d like to give a big shout-out to Brian at Fastbrakes, who was great to work with on this project.

20200614_153303.jpg

The Front:
  • FastBrakes-sourced Wilwood BBK kit with custom brackets
  • Wilwood Forged Narrow Superlite 6-piston Radial Mount (FNSL6R) Calipers
  • Wilwood 13” 2-piece slotted rotors
  • Stainless steel brake lines
  • Cable clamps with M6 bolt/lock nut to hold brake line off the remote reservoir
The Rear:
  • StopTech slotted rotors
  • Goodridge Stainless Steel lines
  • OEM calipers.
The Pads and Fluid:
  • G-Loc R6 compound
  • Motul RBF600
The installation:
Installation was relatively straightforward following the Wilwood and Fastbrakes instructions. Words of caution: use a very good set of flare nut sockets or wrenches or you will round off the flare nuts, and re-flaring the lines on the 3 is a PITA. Bleeding the system was initially trouble-free, but a stubborn bubble was introduced after replacing a weeping fitting. After giving the ABS a workout, power bleeding while tapping the calipers solved the issue.

20200614_153235.jpg

Since I have BC Racing ER-series coilovers, I used a pair of rubber-lined cable clamps around the remote reservoir and brake line strut mount to secure the line from rubbing.

20200613_163343.jpg

Performance:
Winter night and Summer day difference. Brake feel is better than most dedicated track/race cars I’ve been in and have received the same feedback from others. Braking force directly proportional to pedal pressure with zero dead-pedal travel. Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to track/autocross test the brakes as of yet, but I’ve only experienced minor fade during initial bed-in. The only downsides of the setup are the extra dust and a little pad/rotor noise.

Questions, comments, etc?

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Yes, you do need good wrenches to do the brake lines or you will round off the fittings, absolutely.
I also had some issues with air after doing some brake work. Best way to clear it quickly is use a sacrificial bottle of brake fluid and a piece of clear tubing about 18-24 inches long. Clamp one end of the tubing on the fitting with a small spring-type hose clamp like this-
The one I use came off the pump mechanism like you would use on a bottle of gear oil.
Put the other end of the tubing into a half full bottle of brake fluid so the end is fully submerged. Elevate the brake fluid bottle so the tubing makes an arc above the fitting on the caliper. Open the caliper fitting and pump the brakes, filling the master cylinder often. Watch for air in the tube, the bubbles will be trapped in the high point where it arcs upward. Once the tube is free of air, tighten the caliper fitting. That should clear the system pretty well in short order.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Since I’m incredibly happy with the results of this BBK, I figured that I’d post about it! Also, I’d like to give a big shout-out to Brian at Fastbrakes, who was great to work with on this project.

View attachment 278867

The Front:
  • FastBrakes-sourced Wilwood BBK kit with custom brackets
  • Wilwood Forged Narrow Superlite 6-piston Radial Mount (FNSL6R) Calipers
  • Wilwood 13” 2-piece slotted rotors
  • Stainless steel brake lines
  • Cable clamps with M6 bolt/lock nut to hold brake line off the remote reservoir
The Rear:
  • StopTech slotted rotors
  • Goodridge Stainless Steel lines
  • OEM calipers.
The Pads and Fluid:
  • G-Loc R6 compound
  • Motul RBF600
The installation:
Installation was relatively straightforward following the Wilwood and Fastbrakes instructions. Words of caution: use a very good set of flare nut sockets or wrenches or you will round off the flare nuts, and re-flaring the lines on the 3 is a PITA. Bleeding the system was initially trouble-free, but a stubborn bubble was introduced after replacing a weeping fitting. After giving the ABS a workout, power bleeding while tapping the calipers solved the issue.

View attachment 278865

Since I have BC Racing ER-series coilovers, I used a pair of rubber-lined cable clamps around the remote reservoir and brake line strut mount to secure the line from rubbing.

View attachment 278866

Performance:
Winter night and Summer day difference. Brake feel is better than most dedicated track/race cars I’ve been in and have received the same feedback from others. Braking force directly proportional to pedal pressure with zero dead-pedal travel. Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to track/autocross test the brakes as of yet, but I’ve only experienced minor fade during initial bed-in. The only downsides of the setup are the extra dust and a little pad/rotor noise.

Questions, comments, etc?
Can you share the itemized cost, sir? That's a great setup!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
318 Posts
THEY LOOK NICE !!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fastbrakes setup was similar to the prices listed here: Mazda

Everything else is easy to look up/reference/quote (G-Loc).
Wow, that's a great looking set up. Seeing it installed makes my decision a little easier.

Why did you choose the 6 piston over the 4? I'm looking at the 4, but would like to go with the two-piece rotor that comes with the 6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that's a great looking set up. Seeing it installed makes my decision a little easier.

Why did you choose the 6 piston over the 4? I'm looking at the 4, but would like to go with the two-piece rotor that comes with the 6.
I went with the 6-pot for track day / autocross--better heat transfer, more even brake force distribution across the pad, etc; after awful brake fade on the OEM calipers into Turn 10 at Road Atlanta, it was an easy decision. It's possible that Fastbrakes could do a 2-piece rotor, 4-pot caliper setup.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
318 Posts
I went with the 6-pot for track day / autocross--better heat transfer, more even brake force distribution across the pad, etc; after awful brake fade on the OEM calipers into Turn 10 at Road Atlanta, it was an easy decision. It's possible that Fastbrakes could do a 2-piece rotor, 4-pot caliper setup.
Lucky Dog ... Road Atlanta is near you

·
Registered
320 Posts
Impressive!!! I'm envious. I did G-Locs, Stop Tech slotted and Goodrich SS brake lines.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's excellent. Firm pedal and more braking power. Very happy with result. The stocks brakes were my biggest criticism of the car. Wheel gab was #2 - which I also addressed. 😀

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
318 Posts
add some stainless steel brake lines & higher quality / temp brake fluid 550 F + & pads to OEM set up and will feel a noticeable difference. BBK on the front is a huge leap in braking on the street and especially the track .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts