2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was wondering, does anyone else have a audible clicking noise that comes from your heat / ac fan? It's more audible on a cold startup, but can still be heard pretty much all the time. It's the easiest to hear when the air is set to recirculate and on the lowest blower setting, kinda sounds like it's coming from behind the glovebox. Was just wondering if this is a normal sound for this car or if I should take it in, and if I need to take it in has anyone else had the same problem?

I hate the idea of someone tearing apart my interior to replace a fan :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Without knowing too much about these cars, it could be the clutch on the AC...but I'm not sure how audible they are, as I haven't even driven our 3 yet...Maybe one day the wife will let me take it for a rip? :confused013:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bacon, it does it when the AC isn't engaged, I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the fan. I'm kinda just wondering if it's even worth worrying about.

Also, just sneak the 3 when the wife is away!

·
Senior Adventure Gamer
236 Posts
Hey Guys,

I was wondering, does anyone else have a audible clicking noise that comes from your heat / ac fan? It's more audible on a cold startup, but can still be heard pretty much all the time. It's the easiest to hear when the air is set to recirculate and on the lowest blower setting, kinda sounds like it's coming from behind the glovebox. Was just wondering if this is a normal sound for this car or if I should take it in, and if I need to take it in has anyone else had the same problem?

I hate the idea of someone tearing apart my interior to replace a fan :(
I don't think much tearing apart will be necessary. I could be wrong, but I believe the blower motor is in the access panel underneath the glovebox. There's probably a small leaf or something else rattling in the blades of the blower. Look under there with a flashlight and the thing should just bolt off. Remove the debris, slap it back on, and you're most likely good to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually that's what I thought, it had been sitting on the lot a few months and had TONS of leaves in. call me a novice, but I was looking around and I'm not really sure where to take the glovebox off. Anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the exact problem as jeffs2010, the clicking sound frequency will change by the fan speed. It only happen when the weather is cold and dry.
In my case, I tried to take to dealer for examination, but the sound was gone next day, due to the weather become wet.

Is it a new car? wahy dont you go to the dealer for warranty?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine did the same thing. When the cold weather came, I could hear the fan making a ticking noise, after a few minutes it went away. If it continues, I will bring it in. Its not normal for a fan to make noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the exact problem as jeffs2010, the clicking sound frequency will change by the fan speed. It only happen when the weather is cold and dry.
In my case, I tried to take to dealer for examination, but the sound was gone next day, due to the weather become wet.

Is it a new car? wahy dont you go to the dealer for warranty?
Just always worried someone will do a bad job and scratch up the interior for a very minor clicking noise

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since the fan is probably made of plastic, I hope whatever its hitting against will eventually wear down the plastic, and stop the noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noise seems to have completely dissipated, strange.. perhaps it was something stuck in one of the vents / fan!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a similar problem. Was considering taking it to the dealer but after washing the car it went away. I suspected it was leaves and pressure washed the a/c intake (just below the windshield). The problem went away. It came back a couple weeks later and I took the car through a touchless car wash. Problem solved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since the fan is probably made of plastic, I hope whatever its hitting against will eventually wear down the plastic, and stop the noise.
it should not be something stuck in there. you see,there are bunch of people have the same problem. this kindof problem usually cause by the lubication of the fan. as we know mazda is made in japan, the weather there is wet and warmer. but in part of US and whole Canada is cold, pairies area is very dry. this cause the lubication viscosity become higher then it should be. bad lubication weir sound. this not only happen in my car, but also my Sony notebook. the fan of the computer has a weir sound even louder than in my mazda

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mine made the noise for the first 3 days and has never done it again. My guess it that the ducting that is around the fan is VERY tight and that the fan may have had a small burr on it from production.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If this many people on this forum are experiencing this, then this is actually some kind of issue. Hopefully, Mazda reads these forums and makes notes...

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2010 Mazda3 GT hatch just came back from Dealer...This exact same problem...it was leaves. Car is only 2 months old and has 4700 kms on it. Easy fix, just open the compartment in the passenger wheel well, where the filter is, vacuum it out and grab all the leaves LOL.

Kinda dumb how they get in there...but we might have to live with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 10' GT-E has the same problem. It started today at lunch. My car is parked underground all night and in a concrete parking lot all day. No chance for leaves to get in there. If it persists, I'll take it in next week (while they fix my 3M!!)

Will keep you posted, although, I'm sure they'll tell me it's an isolated incident.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My fan also makes the clicking noise. It went away before but now it has been making the noise for about a week - I assume because it's now winter weather here. I may take it in if it gets louder but I agree that I'm somewhat hesitant to bring it in for this service if some crack squad mechanic screws something else up.

·
Super Mod
382 Posts
I have noticed a slight "clicking" noise more than anything on mine that's very slight but only happens on rougher roads. Appears to come from the passenger side but I can't figure out what the heck it is, that's the only thing that's bugging me. It doesn't seem like it's a fan issue though for me.. but IDK, everything feels so tightly put together lol it's just bugging me that I can't locate the source!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts