2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have a 2012 Mazda 3 skyactive Hatchback, bought it brand new from the dealer. Currently it has about 58,000 miles on it. I took my car to the dealer today due to hearing a weird noise when crusing at low speeds (5-20 mph) with out acceleration. It is important to note I have taken very good care of this car, taking to the dealer for oil changes and following all recommendations for service and maintenance. They informed me that my transmission was going bad and needed to be replaced or it would continue to fail and eventually the car would break down. I was in shock of course, thankfully they are covering the cost of the part, as my warranty just expired last month. I have to pay for labor. Does anyone know of this being an issue at such a low mileage?? I'm at a loss as to why this happened. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
I would take the car elsewhere (another dealer) for another opinion, the "certified" techs at some dealers are quacks. I was looking at a used 2012 3 at a dealer near me and it drove odd and had some weird issues so I pop the hood, I noticed first thing that the engine was not level and was sitting down to the passenger side, so motor mounts where completely shot and sure enough I look at the passenger one (under coolant tank, skyactiv maybe different) and all the fluid that's supposed to be in it was all over the bottom of the splash shield and the rubber was almost all the way gone it was pretty much a useless mount at that point, I proceed to pull the auto tranny dipstick and the fluid that was on the stick was dark black and runny (normal tranny fluid is clear-light red and not super runny, I think the skyactiv tranny fluid is blue colored) explained why it shifted so bad, well that and the motor mounts. I noticed during the drive that it pulled right and upon looking at the tires afterward had been doing so for some time as they where bald on the edges and in need of replacement to even pass inspection, I pull the air filter box open and its black and nasty like it has not been changed since the car was new, basically it was in very bad disrepair(like some dumbass kid owned it) and only had 67k on it. the worst part was it was supposed to be 128 point inspected and certified preowned according to the sales manager, I said well this one missed the inspection its in horrible shape, he said my techs are mazda factory trained, your telling me you know this car better then them, I said "yes, obviously as it needs... and proceeded to list about 15 things it needed without even looking at it on a lift, and pointed to every issues a car they had listed for $12k had, what I saw was about $3000-4000 in repairs right off the bat that their "factory trained" tech did not see. I even said get that tech out here because I want him to look me in the face and tell me this is a god car that is not in dire need of repairs and will pass inspection as is, he refused and asked me to leave and another person was looking at the car as I alked out, I walked over popped the hood and pointed out everything and said "for your well being don't buy this one, these are good cars" (as mine have been) "but this one is beat up, steer clear" he walked out right behind me. I bought my current car from a bmw dealer a few weeks later and took it to another dealer to have it inspected payed for it to go through the certification like they would do to sell it certified preowned and they found no major issues just a few minor things I already knew. the tech there walked me back to my car and showed me everything on the underside and let me watch while he inspected the car, very thoroughly, I might add. so this just goes to show not all dealers are the same, some just want your money some want your business, you want to steer clear of the ones just wanting your money like the one I just went on about. because they have your money now they don't care. Im lucky this great dealer is near my job and very honest and competitive pricing and they consistently get things done when they promise them. I have had several things done on 2 cars there and none have been messed up or done wrong and the service guys and parts guys are very friendly and don't push BS upsell crap

and as Oscargamer said the warranty is Mazda corporate so go elsewhere get another opinion from another dealer and if they say the same thing call mazda corporate and see aht they will do for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,549 Posts
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have a 2012 Mazda 3 skyactive Hatchback, bought it brand new from the dealer. Currently it has about 58,000 miles on it. I took my car to the dealer today due to hearing a weird noise when crusing at low speeds (5-20 mph) with out acceleration. It is important to note I have taken very good care of this car, taking to the dealer for oil changes and following all recommendations for service and maintenance. They informed me that my transmission was going bad and needed to be replaced or it would continue to fail and eventually the car would break down. I was in shock of course, thankfully they are covering the cost of the part, as my warranty just expired last month. I have to pay for labor. Does anyone know of this being an issue at such a low mileage?? I'm at a loss as to why this happened. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Before you do anything, what were the terms of your warranty? What exactly is broken?
If it is indeed the transmission, and you are out of warranty, having the dealer cover parts cost is not a bad thing.

I would take the car elsewhere (another dealer) for another opinion, the "certified" techs at some dealers are quacks. I was looking at a used 2012 3 at a dealer near me and it drove odd and had some weird issues so I pop the hood, I noticed first thing that the engine was not level and was sitting down to the passenger side, so motor mounts where completely shot and sure enough I look at the passenger one (under coolant tank, skyactiv maybe different) and all the fluid that's supposed to be in it was all over the bottom of the splash shield and the rubber was almost all the way gone it was pretty much a useless mount at that point, I proceed to pull the auto tranny dipstick and the fluid that was on the stick was dark black and runny (normal tranny fluid is clear-light red and not super runny, I think the skyactiv tranny fluid is blue colored) explained why it shifted so bad, well that and the motor mounts. I noticed during the drive that it pulled right and upon looking at the tires afterward had been doing so for some time as they where bald on the edges and in need of replacement to even pass inspection, I pull the air filter box open and its black and nasty like it has not been changed since the car was new, basically it was in very bad disrepair(like some dumbass kid owned it) and only had 67k on it. the worst part was it was supposed to be 128 point inspected and certified preowned according to the sales manager, I said well this one missed the inspection its in horrible shape, he said my techs are mazda factory trained, your telling me you know this car better then them, I said "yes, obviously as it needs... and proceeded to list about 15 things it needed without even looking at it on a lift, and pointed to every issues a car they had listed for $12k had, what I saw was about $3000-4000 in repairs right off the bat that their "factory trained" tech did not see. I even said get that tech out here because I want him to look me in the face and tell me this is a god car that is not in dire need of repairs and will pass inspection as is, he refused and asked me to leave and another person was looking at the car as I alked out, I walked over popped the hood and pointed out everything and said "for your well being don't buy this one, these are good cars" (as mine have been) "but this one is beat up, steer clear" he walked out right behind me. I bought my current car from a bmw dealer a few weeks later and took it to another dealer to have it inspected payed for it to go through the certification like they would do to sell it certified preowned and they found no major issues just a few minor things I already knew. the tech there walked me back to my car and showed me everything on the underside and let me watch while he inspected the car, very thoroughly, I might add. so this just goes to show not all dealers are the same, some just want your money some want your business, you want to steer clear of the ones just wanting your money like the one I just went on about. because they have your money now they don't care. Im lucky this great dealer is near my job and very honest and competitive pricing and they consistently get things done when they promise them. I have had several things done on 2 cars there and none have been messed up or done wrong and the service guys and parts guys are very friendly and don't push BS upsell crap

and as Oscargamer said the warranty is Mazda corporate so go elsewhere get another opinion from another dealer and if they say the same thing call mazda corporate and see aht they will do for you.

Whuut?!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for replying!! I will definitely take your advice and call Mazda directly. They still have my car and they orded the transmission, it is supposed to get there by Thursday. I will call and get more exact details, and let you know what they say. They made it seem like such a big deal that Mazda is paying for the part. It made me feel like I have no choice but to do it. It's scary. A second opinion is a great idea. My question is, should I take it to another Mazda dealer? Or any local service shop?

·
Super Moderator
5,549 Posts
Thank you for replying!! I will definitely take your advice and call Mazda directly. They still have my car and they orded the transmission, it is supposed to get there by Thursday. I will call and get more exact details, and let you know what they say. They made it seem like such a big deal that Mazda is paying for the part. It made me feel like I have no choice but to do it. It's scary. A second opinion is a great idea. My question is, should I take it to another Mazda dealer? Or any local service shop?
If your car is out of warranty and the dealer is paying for a new transmission, I would not start poking around too much. A independent shop will charge you for parts, labor and anything else they can get away with. Another dealer may not be so forthcoming and put a stop to any deal that you have worked out with your current dealer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep, if the tranny is going bad and you've maintained the car it's just bad luck. As much as we hate it... sh*t happens.

If you've already got a new transmission coming no charge and only paying for labor that's about as good a deal as you're going to get if you're out of warranty.

The only chance you have to go after anything more with Mazda is if you have the noise documented during previous service visits when you were within warranty and asked them to look into it, but nothing came of it for whatever reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was your car driveable? This is the part of your reply that really bothers me:

They made it seem like such a big deal that Mazda is paying for the part. It made me feel like I have no choice but to do it. It's scary.
This is exactly how scumbags in certain dealerships get you. Never ever agree to anything they do until you understand exactly what they are doing and why. You need to get answers on what broke and why they're fixing it. You need to get this on paper. When technicians diagnose your car, they will always have a work order that has statements from the customer and the technician doing the diagnosis on what is wrong. That's why the recommendation on a second opinion from another dealership.

Usually if you are *just* outside of warranty, the better dealerships try to help you out by contacting Mazda directly and asking for a goodwill repair. That's how I got my AC compressor fixed (which would have been $900 in parts alone).

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Was your car driveable? This is the part of your reply that really bothers me:

This is exactly how scumbags in certain dealerships get you. Never ever agree to anything they do until you understand exactly what they are doing and why. You need to get answers on what broke and why they're fixing it. You need to get this on paper. When technicians diagnose your car, they will always have a work order that has statements from the customer and the technician doing the diagnosis on what is wrong. That's why the recommendation on a second opinion from another dealership.

Usually if you are *just* outside of warranty, the better dealerships try to help you out by contacting Mazda directly and asking for a goodwill repair. That's how I got my AC compressor fixed (which would have been $900 in parts alone).
His response is exactly hitting the nail on the head. Get a second DEALER opinion, as mazda warranty does not care what Joe's kwik lube thinks, but they care what their dealers think. Remember as well dealers are not actually owned and run by mazda they are contractors and they paid to sell and service cars under the badge they do (Mazda) and could get any car companies products if they met the qualifications and decided to. and Mazda holds them to certain minimums for quality and service, so if your unhappy with one get another opinion and if the 2 dealers say 2 different things need fixing that's when you say to the 2nd one that has the car on a lift you want to be walked out to your car and SHOWN what is broken, why it is broken, why it needs replacement and why it being broke makes the car unroadworthy. You then want all statements of such in writing and have the service manager sign and date the forms (this may take some arm twisting but just be confident and demand it) Then call the original dealer and ask if you bring your car in if they will put it on the lift and show you what they said is broken and do the same thing as the other dealer did for you, then call mazda corporate and talk with them to get a solution. If both dealers say the same part and repair are needed still have them show you and get the same things in writing and have the service manager at the dealer you trust more on the phone to talk with mazda corporate and warranty so they and you bot know what is being done and you, mazda and the dealer can reach mutual agreemen

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Unfortunately parts break even to those who have treated their car right. I am glad to hear that your transmission is going to be replaced under warranty -- even though it expired. However, has anyone yet told you the estimated labor cost?

And good idea of asking for that goodwill to also extend to the labor cost. If you ask gently, no harm can come from asking.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Unfortunately parts break even to those who have treated their car right. I am glad to hear that your transmission is going to be replaced under warranty -- even though it expired. However, has anyone yet told you the estimated labor cost?

And good idea of asking for that goodwill to also extend to the labor cost. If you ask gently, no harm can come from asking.
I don't know how the dealers in your area are, but the ones in fort worth suck! well except Hiley Mazda in Hurst they are the only good mazda dealer in the Greater Dallas Fort worth area I have found (have not dealt with Mazda of Mesquite) Autonation Mazda in Fort worth tells you they will replace something under warranty and hand you an invoice with new parts and everything tallied with part numbers but when you get the car back you clearly can tell the parts are not new like they did on my headlight that was leaking, they put an obvious junkyard one in (1 it was yellow and oxidized and 2 it had green junkyard pen writing on the back of it) and it leaked worse then the one they replaced! this was an autonation used car warranty but I bought my car from bmw of dallas (autonation owned) and the BMW dealer was charged $1300 in parts for new parts but what was put on was junkyard parts When I informed them of this and said I can do the repair myself if you guys just cut me a check for the parts (just north of $1000 for what I needed, HID with auto adjust and afs) They greed cut me a check and when I went to pick up the check in person the manager that had been dealing with this at the BMW dealer I bought the car from said he was sorry for the hassle and he did not realize that mazda dealer was so bad. he then called them while I was there and went off on their manager for doing that.

Another thing that Autonation Mazda did was on my 08 3 the sunroof got stuck half open and I could not figure out how to fix it (did not want to remove the headliner myself if at all possible) so I took it there figuring they know the car and might know of an easy fix (it was not the fuse) well they had my car for 8 hours and did not even look at it, you want to know how I know? well I was waiting there and after so long asked about my car as I was the first in that morning and should have been taken care of before others after, well they said it needed a new sunroof assembly to the tune of $1200 parts and $1200 labor because the motor burned up and could not be replaced without removing and replacing the whole sunroof (BS because I called Hiley and they would have sold me the motor by itself for $150) well I told them can you just get the sunroof closed so I don't get sh*t in my car or get rain in there? they said that would be $500 so I said just give me my keys and left well when I got in my car it still had the waiting tag that the tech removes when he works on the car on it so I knew instantly they did not look at my car, just parked it In the back and tried to get $2400 out of me. well the next day I decide to pull back the headliner as much as I can without taking it off to my surprise out comes a screw well the 2 from the liner the motor and chain attach to where gone and I had already fixed that but did not see the ones holding the motor in where gone too (loud music must have vibrated them free , never found more just that one that fell out, don't know where the others went)

Well I get me a small flashlight and look closely at the motor while pushing the buttons, not surprisingly it was still working (I could hear the gear spinning) so I used my fist and shoved the motor up as hard as I can and had my friend press the buttons, the sunroof worked again, so I looked at the motor and see 2 screw holes without screws in them and 1 screw dangling out tightened up the one after putting blue threadlocker on it and found 2 that fit the other 2 holes and put blue threadlocker on them as well tightened it all up and the sunroof worked fine ever since. The whole front liner and motor assembly had come loose from the roof (had a powerful stereo probably vibrated it loose) I had fixed the liner part but did not see the motor was loose (very limited room to work with headliner in the car)so the motor eventually fell out of its mounting spot as everything had been moving together when loose and I fixed the liner being loose which kept the chain down with the liner correctly, but the motor was still loose and fell out of its mounting spot and was not touching the chain. well after I fixed the sunroof I went back to autonation mazda (they had charged me a $100 "diagnostic" fee more like $100 parking fee since they did nothing) and talked to the service manager explained the issue with the car and everything, had quote for $2400 in hand then I asked him straight up "how does $1.50 worth of parts and 30 minutes of my time fix something you guys "diagnosed" as needing $2400 parts and labor to fix?" He said "I don't know" I said "because you guys diagnosed my car as needing $2400 in repairs that where not needed." He asked how I fixed it, I said if you give me my $100 "diagnostic" fee back I will tell you and show you (he wanted pics) so we went in got me my $100 back and then I showed him the mounting screws on the sunroof motor I said "your tech either just pressed the buttons and said motors bad needs new assembly or more likely you guys pared my car made me wait in your waiting room for 8 hours then gave me some BS since you had not looked at my car. I said your techs have access to mazda factory parts diagrams right? he said yes, I said ok the why was I told the motor cannot be removed as a component and the whole sunroof would need replacing if it had failed? he just stared at me because it said that on the invoice he had just read. I said you guys have just lost a customer for life because I will not be servicing or buying a car here ever again nor buying parts.

This long winded story shows how unscrupulous and how different dealers can be. Hiley has done several repairs for me all completed quickly and correctly, they have competitive pricing with local shops and parts cost way less then at autonation, per example autonation wanted $30 for a license plate bracket Hiley had it for $18 SAME PART NUMBER Autonation wanted $250 for the passenger motor mount Hiley only charged $98 SAME PART NUMBER

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll just throw in that I had the noise symptoms you described, but fortunately was still under warranty. The dealer replaced the transmission on my 2012 Skyactiv (one of the first) with a refurbished unit. The car drove fine other than the noise, but whatever the problem was, they considered serious enough to not want me to drive the car while waiting for the replacement unit. They never explained what was failing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts