2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

EZ Lip? Yay or nay

Tags
lip nay yay
29K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  Sonic_fast 
#1 ·
So I'm lowered on Corksport springs, and my springs settled and I'm beating up my front bumper pretty bad. I wanted to know if the OEM lip would protect my bumper, or it's just something that would end up breaking off?

I just put on the EZ Lip for $35 on Amazon. Was curious if you guys think it makes the car look cheap, or it's a good investment to protect my bumper?

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the way you have put it on so it sits back from the front of the bumper and comes forward... A few images I've seen of the EZlip look kinda crappy because it looks like it has been put on too far to the "outside"/edge and tape edges are visable, etc.

The way you have put it on, I think I'm in the "good investment to protect my bumper" camp.

#3 ·
^Agreed. Looks really good.

Reactions: bsteezy
#6 ·
OK so if I buy the EZ lip, will you install it for me...LOL :p

#10 ·
Yeah and I'm in Jersey!

Reactions: fidlikus
#12 ·
Hold up........wth is this EZ lip? Garage door trim? That looks really nice. Has it held up to highway speeds?

#22 ·
Install EZ Lip step by step:

1. Wash car, and let dry. EZ Lip recommends cleaning with alcohol as well before install. I skipped that step and just made sure I washed under the bumper. Then they recommend you not installing if it's like freezing cold, and the work around is to heat the adhesive with a blow dryer before install. Luckily I live in California and it's 70 degrees in December. I drove up on a couple blocks of wood to raise the car, that helps out if you have wood available.

2. Underneath the car, there is a lip/edge that you can feel with your fingers. I did about 1.5 ft at a time to make sure I did it correctly all the way around. (I'm un-peeling 1.5 ft of the adhesive at a time) I followed the edge all the way around, and you'll see what edge I'm talking about in the photos.

This is the side, starting at the front wheel.

This is the center of the bumper. The edge isn't consistent all the way around, it's a bit more shallow near the sides, and deeper in the center. It's important to follow it to get the right fitment.

3. This is the above view of the side, since the side is more shallow, it pokes out a bit.

This is the above view of the center, which is a littler deeper and will look more flush with the bumper and not stick out as far.

It's pretty self explanatory, but just make sure you follow the edge all the way around. I can definitely see how people could mess up and make the install look bad.

4. (optional) I trimmed the edges near the front wheels to make it look more custom fitted. You can see I made a straight cut near the ends in this photo.

End result.

#26 ·
I put mine along the same edge and doesn't look nearly as neat as yours. Over time the curvature on the bottom of the bumper twists the lip so that it starts to peel away on the leading edge. Come here and redo mine!

There isn't a different product for the sides, it's the same thing.

#28 ·
I had something very similar done to my wrx. It lasted like a month. I would say it is more for looks then actual protection. If it is anything like the I stuff I had on, it is very flimsy and will tear.

side note: can someone measure the length of the front bumper for me? Corner of the wheel well to corner of wheel well. I want to see if my lip off my wrx will fit, I was starring at it last night and it got me wondering.

#39 ·
This LIP looks great :smile2:

Like you have OEM body kit from Mazda.

Here are more pictures from some other user from this forum:

BUT i recommend to watch this video before buy it :wink2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxv8J5sganY
That's my car :) Thanks for showing us that video. Looks like I'll be switching the front from EZ lip to All-Fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.