2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has been bothering me for the past week asking me to take my car to the dealer for it's next oil change. I really don't want to because last time I took it they left a big scratch on the side of it. He keeps telling me that if they don't have the car in the inspect it every so often they could void my extended warranty. I have kept records of all my oil changes and I inspect all the fluids every time I change the oil. Normally i wouldn't care and just take it for a free inspection and that be the end of it. but I live 25 plus miles from the dealer and it takes away a saturday that I could use to do nothing.

Would not taking the car to the dealer void my extended warranty event if I follow the maintenance schedule like the manual says? I didn't want to ask the dealer because their answer will most likely be biased.

Also would I need to remove my SRI, grounding kit, HID's and other goodstuff so they won't keep a record of those?

I would also like to know if anyone has had any experiences when it comes to warranty issues or claims process

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have my service done at another mechanic, and my warranty remains intact, doing it yourself can be hard to prove if something ever went wrong and had to make a claim.

One day I was at Mazda buying an oil filter to take to my mechanic and the Mazda parts guy tried to tell me that I have to have all my service done there. I laughed and said show me where it says that, and he said well it doesn't. Long story short I said exactly.

I do take off my intake if I do have to take it to Mazda though, just to save the hassle. Haven't had to go in since putting the Racing Beat stuff on. But I am not too worried about a muffler and a sway bar.

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
Well, if you have an extended warranty just read the conditions first. I know the manufacturer cannot require you to use the mazda mechanics but if the extended warranty isn't through mazda but another company they may have different terms.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
If all you need to is take your car into the dealer for a free inspection to show your receipts and make sure it is documented that you are servicing your vehicle yourself, I think its worth the 25 mile drive every 3k - 5k miles. I would take off the intake since it will be quite obvious, but the grounding kit and HID's should not matter as long as the install was clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts