2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know there are multiple threads on what oil to use, I would like to post here my discoveries.
I have tried multiple oils in my 3. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol Edge (which I have used the most). I often check my oil and do the old Biden sniff test.
All of the synthetics I have used have had a certain amount of discernible dilution.
...except one.
I recently (about 2k miles ago) got Amsoil.
Thusfar this is the only oil that I have not smelled the slightest amount of fuel in.
I previously used Amsoil in my fun cars, but this is the first time in the 3 and I think it’s the best choice.
Just thought I would put this out there.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder what they put in Amsoil to keep the gas out?
I don’t know, but it’s a very discernible difference. I did geek out for an hour or so on their website trying to figure it out, but eventually my eyeballs and brain just hurt and I still knew nothing. Damn ADD.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i've noticed different oils keep the engine quieter or louder, but i've never smelled them.
even if amsoil has reduced fuel dilution, i think it would still be more cost effective to due an italian tuneup once in a while

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
736 Posts
There alot of good 100% synthetic motor oils out there.
Not all are formulated exactly the same but bascially the same idea ... less wear n tear in internals
but some of the more expensive you get protection against wear, oil pressure drop and oxidation due to high temperature etc.

Some more expensive than others such as :
Motul
Liqui Moly
Idemitsu ( IMSA Mazda DPI racecar sponor oil)

If you want to try something different , if you track and or are very aggressive driver and a high like to high rev
MOTUL 300V race oil (0w20 or 5w30). Pricey , but made , formulated for that sprint/rally/autocross .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, so I know there are multiple threads on what oil to use, I would like to post here my discoveries.
I have tried multiple oils in my 3. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol Edge (which I have used the most). I often check my oil and do the old Biden sniff test.
All of the synthetics I have used have had a certain amount of discernible dilution.
...except one.
I recently (about 2k miles ago) got Amsoil.
Thusfar this is the only oil that I have not smelled the slightest amount of fuel in.
I previously used Amsoil in my fun cars, but this is the first time in the 3 and I think it’s the best choice.
Just thought I would put this out there.
This was my concern. For years on all vehicles I add Moly. Mazda branded dealer oil contains Moly. I agree with my wife using the excellent local local dealer service instead of my shop.
(DGDG Mazda in San Jose CA)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts