2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2010 MS3. I've noticed in 3rd I can get to full boost somewhere around what feels like half throttle. Between that point and flooring it to WOT it doesn't seem like there's much increase in acceleration. Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It will build boost in the low rpms but it wont pull really well until the turbo really spools up around 4,000 in third. So yes that is normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The reason that the boost spikes at half throttle at low rpms is the amount of load that is being put on the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahah, ok, that's not good right (load on the engine)? so should you wait until the revs are up more like 3000+ before you give it more throttle? I didn't floor it straight away after changing into 3rd, I've been slowly increasing the throttle rather than just flooring it.

This question was more out of curiosity since this was the first time I've given it WOT (I just passed 1000 miles) and I was wondering what I should expect as normal. The boost accelerating in third is definitely smile inducing :yes:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
ahah, ok, that's not good right (load on the engine)? so should you wait until the revs are up more like 3000+ before you give it more throttle?
From what I've read from other sources, this is true...with the DISI engine it's best to load the engine past the 3000-3500 RPM mark. As long as you can keep from loading the engine in the lower RPM range you'll definitely prolong engine life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts