2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but whenever I turn off my car after driving it always makes a ticking noise from what I think is the exhuast. It sounds like rocks are moving around in it for a while then it stops. Is this normal?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think it's the sound of the exhaust system's metal contracting as it cools. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I know some cars make strange sounds under the hood after you turn them off because of engine diagnostics the ECU runs after shutdown.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is normal. Unfortunately with this car it is a very prominent sound and happens even if you are driving your car fairly lightly. My dad's 02 Civic only makes the noise, well, it's only audible if you've driven it really hard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any cars that I have bought new have done this really bad for a while, then it starts to subside after the cars gets some miles on it. That being said, I think my new 3 has been the worst/loudest about it. Even my wife commented on it.
Got around 5K miles now and it's settled down quite a bit, unless I have really been running it hard, heh heh

·
Registered
975 Posts
because camrys and corollas are loafs of bread.

Those two cars are the "loose buttholes" of all cars. Seriously, have you driven one? Drive one, see how boring and awful it is.

Feels like every nut and bolt has a rubber washer stuffed in there to keep everything loosey goosey... "for your pleasure"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts