2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2016 Mazda 3 2.5L sport GT hatchback and wanted to get your input on a few things!!
I'm getting a tune that is going to let me have full control of my gears in manual paddle shifting mode instead of them automatically shifting when I redline (which I am SO excited for).

I am looking for you guys to give me advice and reviews on the catback exhaust systems, cold air intakes, down pipes, etc. that you have for your third gen mazda AND for advice on tunes that have been done to your car + how has your performance been increased with those (increase in HP??)

For catbacks, I've heard that CorkSport catbacks don't do much, I've heard the Borla-S is amazing, haven't heard about Magnaflow....etc etc. But I want YOUR input!!

Thanks in advance & I look forward to hearing from you!!
Emilie

·
Registered
150 Posts
AFAIK before I got tuned on my 16 sGT, paddle shifting would not automatically change gears for me when at redline.

OVTuning for your tune. Borla AXLEback is a nice exhaust upgrade from my personal experience. JBR intake is what I have, but in retrospect, would probably leave the stock intake and just change out the filter.

Wouldn't change out the downpipe or anything other than the axleback imo.

Rather than the downpipe, I'd focus on suspension upgrades. Some lowering springs or coilovers and a RSB should be one of your first upgrades in that department.

·
Super Moderator
6,304 Posts
There is a lot of information in the stickies at the top of the page in this and the suspension sub forum.
As above, suspension and brakes should be first place to spend your money on. Bolt-ons don't do a whole lot for power. A full on tune is the only real way to get any sort of decent power increase.
How much noise do you want to endure? Some of those exhausts can be loud, especially for longer trips at highway speeds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also have the 2016 Mazda 3 sGT hatchback. I have installed the Magnaflow catback exhaust and the K&N Typhoon intake. Performance is better and it sounds great.

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've got a 2014 2.0L manual with Corsport axleback, custom midpipe and Corksport SRI with custom open air box reusing the factory air scoop + OV Tune.

I'd recommend cutting out the CAT (if you can) from the mid pipe and replace it with a bottle style resonator. Vibrant Performance makes a good one.

This will improve exhaust flow and deepen the exhaust note a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts