2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found any exhaust extensions that attach to the present dual exhausts but bend out to where they're seen?

Ralph

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a company (mvtune I think) that makes a rear diffuser for the sedan with dual outs. They also have the option to buy the drop down extension.

I have to say, it would probably just be cheaper to have an exhaust shop do what you want. Pretty cheap to just add pipe. Hell I had an entire custom axle back built for $120 in labor so extensions should be like $30

·
Pack Master
45 Posts
Has anyone found any exhaust extensions that attach to the present dual exhausts but bend out to where they're seen?

Ralph
Hi RalphVa,

I picked up a couple 2" round exhaust tips at my local Canadian Tire, not sure how long they were cause it's been a couple years now and I had to shorten them up 2".

I was going to include a link to a picture, but my post count must be greater so I don't have permission. If you check out my garage images though it should be in there. Hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't find mvtune.

Found an outfit called cardid. They ask you to input the year and model car, but NONE of their extensions they show have the bend at the attachment point that would be necessary to allow the 3's exhaust tips to project below the rear plastic piece and out below it. They're just straight exhaust extensions, which would look dumb.

Ralph

·
Registered
422 Posts
Couldn't find mvtune.

Found an outfit called cardid. They ask you to input the year and model car, but NONE of their extensions they show have the bend at the attachment point that would be necessary to allow the 3's exhaust tips to project below the rear plastic piece and out below it. They're just straight exhaust extensions, which would look dumb.

Ralph
http://mv-tuning.ru/catalog/28735/149914/

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont mean to steal the thread, and I know Im a new member, but are extended exhaust tips a bolt on piece?
and do they do anything for the sound of the car?

I'm sure because they're just the exhaust tips they wont do much but figured id ask

·
Registered
422 Posts
Actually Rumor Has It that pointing your exhaust out instead of down will actually make it quieter. The theory is the noise bounces off the road and comes back up.

I do know the longer the tailpipe is away from the muffler the quieter it gets but it should be pretty insignificant with the little bit you're trying to do

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking for ones that'll just clamp in place over the existing exhaust tips and allow the exhaust to go straight back like on the 6s and MX-5s. None of these seem to do that. The mv-tuning ones can be done at any local shop that deals in exhaust work. I know a friend who has a shop that fabricates entire exhaust systems. Really don't want to do this.

The existing exhaust tips (hidden behind the rear facia) point downwards. So, any clamp-on tips would need to have a near 90 degree bend to direct the exhaust straight out. Think you'd actually get a slight performance increase because the air flow underneath the car would serve to aspirate the exhaust. Then the turbulence in the back (that deposits dirt onto the back bumper) might stop that. Probably no performance gain, just looks.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm looking for ones that'll just clamp in place over the existing exhaust tips and allow the exhaust to go straight back like on the 6s and MX-5s. None of these seem to do that. The mv-tuning ones can be done at any local shop that deals in exhaust work. I know a friend who has a shop that fabricates entire exhaust systems. Really don't want to do this.

The existing exhaust tips (hidden behind the rear facia) point downwards. So, any clamp-on tips would need to have a near 90 degree bend to direct the exhaust straight out. Think you'd actually get a slight performance increase because the air flow underneath the car would serve to aspirate the exhaust. Then the turbulence in the back (that deposits dirt onto the back bumper) might stop that. Probably no performance gain, just looks.

Ralph
MV Tuning Rear diffuser and rear window spoiler. Went to a muffler shop and they used their own bends over the MV Tuning ones. This summer I plan on having a Vibrant Resonator installed and a muffler delete and new tips.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts