2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my car is at 91k miles and the clutch might need to be replaced.

Anyone know if its better to get Exedy oem, or Exedy stage 1 clutch?
What are the pros and cons for going stage 1?

Note, I am mainly using my car as a daily driver. not planning to track or autocross

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you have no plans of tracking or increasing horsepower exponentially I would go oem for sure. Stage 1 will just add more pressure/load to your foot while trying to hold the clutch but it won't have any real benefits on a basically stock car. My .02

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2012 Mazda 3s Sedan 6MT, with a 105,000K (also a DD not modded other than Corksport shifter and Koni FSD's + RacingBeat Springs), and it still runs well, including the clutch. Should I need one, I would absolutely use a Stage 1 Exedy (and a lightened flywheel) as I previous had a 2001 Honda CR-V and 1997 Honda Civic LX that both had Stage 1 Exedy clutches installed and they did not really feel loads different (not really much harder to engage/disengage), but with the lightened flywheels installed along side, it did make it more fun to rip through the gears more aggressively and allowed quicker rev'ing. I cannot say how it would feel on my Mazda, but if/when I need a new clutch, I will defintely be going for a stage 1 clutch and lightened flywheel. I do not think it will put any extra strain on things when used as a DD with maybe a little spirited driving at times. Just my .02. If you do the mod, defintely post how it all went!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
750 Posts
Im on a exedy stage 1 and exedy race flywheel. As @NorCal3 mentions...yes you can rip thru the gears faster and revs up faster and lays down the power faster.
If you want more power delivered faster and swap the in new CS engine mounts or AWR engine and passenger mount .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts