2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this unique problem where I get so much static and distortion (especially on the local NPR/WBEZ channel) that it is impossible to actually hear the discussion/report. It really manifests on the NPR channel but I think it's there on the other channels too, just the music on those channels drowns it a little bit. My Subaru Impreza standing right next to my Mazda 3 does not have any problems. So I don't think it's a reception issue.

I tried googling about the issue and didn't find anything specific. I did find out about the touchscreen issue -- but I haven't noticed any issues with my touchscreen -- yet. I also tried asking the dealership about it and they said it would be a $275 diagnostic fee -- which is crazy talk. I can probably get a new audio unit for that coin as I mostly listen to NPR and occasionally some music -- so not really into super high end car audio.

I assume that my antenna or tuner is a problem. How would I go about checking this and getting rid of the static/distortion? Any help/pointers are really appreciated.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What is the year and trim level of your Mazda?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D'oh !! My bad !

2015 Mazda 3 i-Grand Touring hatchback -- stick-shift (if that matters)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weird thing is that there are times -- although very infrequent that I do get very clear reception. I have noticed this especially when I get out of a carwash -- if things were bad, they may get better or vice-a-versa which is what led me to think that it could be my antenna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked for any loose wiring between the head unit and the antenna?
I haven't yet. Is there any link specific to 2015/16 Mazda 3 where I can see how to open the head unit and check for the wiring that goes to the antenna? Do I have to remove the headliner as well?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks, I'll go through that and see what I can do in order to fix this screeching sound.
Good luck my friend! There are much more knowledgeable people than me on these forums; I'm new to Mazda since my last one in the 70's so I'm just trying to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts