2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
How is a 2016 with 25k kms out of warranty powertrain wise? Here in the states its a 5 year / 60,000 MILE warranty...
The warranty is a little different depending on where you live. Here we get 5 year power train and 3 year everything, no limits on mileage.

But have to admit, I'm wondering if they're saying the comprehensive warranty is expired and trying to screw him.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey guys, make sure you are using factory air filters and not aftermarket. The factory filters have proven to be the best at keeping dirt out of the motor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Engine braking is done at higher RPMs and heats up the oil, which leads to some burn off. At least, that's my thought on it.
CK
And with engine braking there's a vacuum above the pistons due to the closed air intake. which some people believe can suck oil up past the rings. Note also with engine braking there is no combustion pressure behind the rings to help them seal.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I believe we're seeing a natural variation between individual engines. There are a lot of rotating and reciprocating elements in an engine. Before the precision computer-controlled devices now commonly used for making engines, e.g. the 1950s, it was considered normal for a factory-fresh engine to use a quart per 1000 miles although I believe most used less. Nowadays, that amount of oil use would be considered quite excessive from a faulty engine. Nevertheless, it still is not unusual for some lesser amounts of oil to be used each oil change interval.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not going through 4 pages to see if it has been said but...

The BRAND of oil used can be a factor in whether or not the car burns any during its oil change interval.

I'm an avid autocrosser and it looks like I may be getting back into track events as well. This was said because prior to getting my 2018 MZ3 Sport, I had a 2001 Camaro Z28 Base Package (basically a 1LE clone) that had the LS1 and T56 combo. Because of how expensive both units would be to replace (a new T56 alone is almost $3200 - not much more money will buy a 2.0L Skyactiv crate engine), I used Amsoil products throughout the motor, trans, and rear.

I use Mobil 1 0W-20 in the Mazda and Amsoil MTG 75W-90 in the transaxle of the Mazda.

I don't use Amsoil in the Mazda's engine because their Signature Series oil has a tendency to burn off to the tune of a quart every 1000-2000 miles, (more during race season, less during the off season). I rarely burned that much oil in the Camaro when I used Pennzoil Platinum near the end of my ownership. In the Mazda, I have burned off a little during each oil change interval during race season, but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Hmmm...Skyactivs are not known to burn oil. I've never had to top up between oil changes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hmmm...Skyactivs are not known to burn oil. I've never had to top up between oil changes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I fully agree, but we do see posts about burning oil around here often enough. Seems rare. I do wonder how much of it is human error? All shops are notorious for overfilling during an oil change for example. Possibly a very small number slip through quality control? It's all statistics anyway, there's no way they can check every single part going out the door.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts