2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am going to slide in and see if this is normal oil consumption. 2105 SkyActiv with auto, 31000 miles 1.5 quarts at 3000 miles. Is that normal? I cant monitor this car as I am no where near it, but its my daughters. I was able today to physically check it out, and was surprised it was this low. The dealership never told her that it was suing oil, as she takes it in every 3000 miles to same place she bought it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm going to slide in behind you and say that over a quart in 3k is definitely NOT normal for a Skyactiv engine. Mine personally doesn't burn a drop in 3-4K Miles of ABUSIVE driving. A little burn off may be considered normal to some extent but I'm talking about the level being towards the low end after a full 6-7k oil change interval.

If the oil isn't registering on the dipstick after only 3k miles, that ain't right.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When i bought my car 8 months ago (2.0, 120hp 6MT), oil was in full mark. Today, 15.000 kms later, it is close to the middle btw both marks.

I think it's a normal consumtion, what do you guys think?

(Here in Spain, scheduled manteinance is every 20.000 kms or 1 year, what first occurs)

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
When i bought my car 8 months ago (2.0, 120hp 6MT), oil was in full mark. Today, 15.000 kms later, it is close to the middle btw both marks.

(Here in Spain, scheduled manteinance is every 20.000 kms or 1 year, what first occurs)

Yes, anywhere between the 2 dots is within the acceptable range. There is no need for concern unless it is below the lower dot or above the upper dot (overfilling is as bad it being too low).

·
Registered
45 Posts

While losing some oil after 10k km is normal, however waiting 20k km between oil change is asking for trouble. Even 15k km is too much.....
If you wish to keep the car in the long run then change the oil in every 10 k km - latest.
If you drive it like you stole it, then 6-8k kms.

·
Registered
121 Posts
While losing some oil after 10k km is normal, however waiting 20k km between oil change is asking for trouble. Even 15k km is too much.....
If you wish to keep the car in the long run then change the oil in every 10 k km - latest.
If you drive it like you stole it, then 6-8k kms.
Thanks, but here in Europe, scheduled manteinance are every year or 20.000 kms, what occur before.

·
*The Electrician*
846 Posts
Thanks, but here in Europe, scheduled manteinance are every year or 20.000 kms, what occur before.
If their willing to warranty an engine with those intervals sure why not. But will they actually replace your motor with a new one? Or will it end up being a used motor from a wrecked car? I highly recommend doing it more often. I go at max 6000km because I drive mine hard. At each oil change the oil on the dipstick has been super clean and I could probably go longer between oil changes but I don't want to risk the potential headaches down the road as I plan to keep this vehicle for 5-10 years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Perhaps at your location (Spain? )... Ireland - 15k km.
Just search for oil degradation and you'll realise there is no oil which could last for that long.....
Manufacturer recommendations are sometimes hmmmm........ far from ideal..... for instance lifetime fluids in gearbox, 20k + oil and filter change intervals and so on.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
We in Slovenia are also having a maintenance interval at 20.000km...i now have a 18500 and on monday i am scheduled at the repair shop for oil changing. I dont worry because if the manufacturer says it is ok then why not after all the warranty on the car is 150000 km or 5 years...soon after that i will probably cahange my car. But i have checked the oil and it is a little black but far from too dirty. My previous peugeot 508 with thp engine had a dirtier oil after good 10000km since changing oil (and also i lost 1L on every 5000km, but Mazda has little oil loss after 18500km). I dont push the car too hard...i push him almost everyday to around 5500rpm every here and there but i normaly drive it the range of 2000-3000 rpm.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just to toss another experience into this thread...

I recently took my 2015 sGT in for service (dealer) just before the 3 year warranty expired. I had noticed the oil was down maybe 3/4 of a quart after about 6K miles (6 months). The rate of loss between oil changes was increasing, but this was the first time it was down over 1/2 quart. I did not see any sign of a leak on the garage floor. I talked to the dealer about this and a short time later they informed me that there was a small leak at the timing chain cover. It was fixed under warranty, and they provided me a 2018 Mazda 3 for a couple days while they fixed it. The also took care of a few other things under warranty and I was quite pleased. I'll watch the oil situation to see how it now goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started to add this post to an older thread on a similar topic, but then I decided it would be better to start a new thread. Here's my problem....

I have a 2016 Mazda3 with the 2.0 engine and manual tranny. After four months of ownership, I only have 2,100 miles on it, most of it suburban and freeway driving. I checked the oil level soon after I bought the car and the dipstick indicated full. At 1,000 miles, I was down 1/4 quart. Now, at 2,100 miles, I'm down 1/2 quart.

I stopped by the dealership today and spoke with the senior service advisor. I was expecting him to tell me that losing 1/2 quart in 2,100 miles was considered normal -- or at least within specs. But after checking my car's oil level himself to confirm that I was indeed down 1/2 quart, he told me that this amount of oil consumption on these engines was NOT normal, and that most of his customers lose virtually no oil between changes.

I asked him what he thought the problem was, and he told me that he had no idea, because of all the many hundreds of third-gen SkyActiv 2.0 engines he's serviced, I'm the FIRST AND ONLY customer who has reported this amount of oil consumption. (!!!) I was totally blown away by his comment, and not very happy that I'm the "one in hundreds" who has this problem.

The service advisor had me schedule an appointment, at which time they'll check the engine for fault codes, leaks, compression, etc. and then start me on an oil-consumption monitoring test. I told him that we already knew what the oil consumption rate was, but he said that if we want Mazda to do anything about the problem, the oil-consumption monitoring test has to be initiated by the dealer. I guess that makes sense.

As you might imagine, I am really bummed out about this situation. I'm afraid that I'm one of the very small percentage of Mazda owners who's been stuck with an engine that consumes way more oil than it's supposed to. If the service advisor had wanted to get rid of me, he could have simply told me that my engine's oil consumption rate was normal, and I would have gone away happy. But he didn't do that. Which makes me worried.

Do any of you smart Mazdaphiles have any thoughts on this matter?
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 Astina and I loose just under 1 litre between services as of new and still now at 40000k but I top it up say 3 times between the services to make shore it stays full

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I have two 2016 Skyactive 2.0 (one hatchback, one sedan, both auto) and noticed low oil level on the sedan after the first year. Monitoring became kind of a routine, but the loss is less than half a quarter on every oil change. I use the hatchback as reference, where the level remains the same over the 5,000 mile period between changes.

I believe there's some light knocking sound on the sedan's engine when it is warming up.

I checked with the dealer last week, when I took both cars for a recall related repair. The advisor said they were "unable to replicate what I described".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are there any leaks on the undertray?
What do the plugs look like, are they oily?
I assume the car is level each time you check it and the oil is cold, so fully returned to the sump.
Can you do a compression check on each cylinder in turn?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oil consumption in Skyactiv 2.0 & 2.5

For what it's worth, both my 2014 2.0 and 2017 2.5 (both GT 5-door manuals) often lose some oil between changes, which I do at 6,000 miles, give or take. The most I can recall losing is about a quart in 7,300 miles. At $7 a quart, I'd prefer to lose none (as in my wife's 2010 Honda CR-V, which also uses 0w20) but unless it gets a lot worse, I'm not worrying about it.

Your dealer's question about engine braking intrigues me, however, since I do that routinely. Why should that practice lead to oil consumption? Is it something unique to Atkinson-capable engines?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started to add this post to an older thread on a similar topic, but then I decided it would be better to start a new thread. Here's my problem....

I have a 2016 Mazda3 with the 2.0 engine and manual tranny. After four months of ownership, I only have 2,100 miles on it, most of it suburban and freeway driving. I checked the oil level soon after I bought the car and the dipstick indicated full. At 1,000 miles, I was down 1/4 quart. Now, at 2,100 miles, I'm down 1/2 quart.

I stopped by the dealership today and spoke with the senior service advisor. I was expecting him to tell me that losing 1/2 quart in 2,100 miles was considered normal -- or at least within specs. But after checking my car's oil level himself to confirm that I was indeed down 1/2 quart, he told me that this amount of oil consumption on these engines was NOT normal, and that most of his customers lose virtually no oil between changes.

I asked him what he thought the problem was, and he told me that he had no idea, because of all the many hundreds of third-gen SkyActiv 2.0 engines he's serviced, I'm the FIRST AND ONLY customer who has reported this amount of oil consumption. (!!!) I was totally blown away by his comment, and not very happy that I'm the "one in hundreds" who has this problem.

The service advisor had me schedule an appointment, at which time they'll check the engine for fault codes, leaks, compression, etc. and then start me on an oil-consumption monitoring test. I told him that we already knew what the oil consumption rate was, but he said that if we want Mazda to do anything about the problem, the oil-consumption monitoring test has to be initiated by the dealer. I guess that makes sense.

As you might imagine, I am really bummed out about this situation. I'm afraid that I'm one of the very small percentage of Mazda owners who's been stuck with an engine that consumes way more oil than it's supposed to. If the service advisor had wanted to get rid of me, he could have simply told me that my engine's oil consumption rate was normal, and I would have gone away happy. But he didn't do that. Which makes me worried.

Do any of you smart Mazdaphiles have any thoughts on this matter?
Hi mate. I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with manual tranny. Its just out of warranty and oil was changed 5000kms ago and i checked it on the weekend and its down 3/4 of a ltr of oil. The car has 25,000kms on it. A brand new car should not use any oil at all in between services. This is the first time we have noticed this problem. Mazda said there is nothing they are prepared to do as its out of the warranty period.
Very dissapointed and will never buy or recommend mazda to anyone in the future.
We are trading the mazda in on a Hyundai as at least we they have a better warranty. MAZDA YOU SUCK.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Wow..any real issues with the car, other than it needing an oil change?

And what did you expect? Car companies typically don't do things for free.. that's a pretty bad business plan, if they did...

Also, your reaction seems a bit excessive for a $7 bottle of oil.. Buy 4 to 5 of them..drain..replace filter.. pour.. repeat every 5k to 7.5k miles.

Problem solved..go back to enjoying a great car.
CK

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Oil consumption in Skyactiv 2.0 & 2.5

For what it's worth, both my 2014 2.0 and 2017 2.5 (both GT 5-door manuals) often lose some oil between changes, which I do at 6,000 miles, give or take. The most I can recall losing is about a quart in 7,300 miles. At $7 a quart, I'd prefer to lose none (as in my wife's 2010 Honda CR-V, which also uses 0w20) but unless it gets a lot worse, I'm not worrying about it.

Your dealer's question about engine braking intrigues me, however, since I do that routinely. Why should that practice lead to oil consumption? Is it something unique to Atkinson-capable engines?
Engine braking is done at higher RPMs and heats up the oil, which leads to some burn off. At least, that's my thought on it.
CK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi mate. I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with manual tranny. Its just out of warranty and oil was changed 5000kms ago and i checked it on the weekend and its down 3/4 of a ltr of oil. The car has 25,000kms on it. A brand new car should not use any oil at all in between services. This is the first time we have noticed this problem. Mazda said there is nothing they are prepared to do as its out of the warranty period.
Very dissapointed and will never buy or recommend mazda to anyone in the future.
We are trading the mazda in on a Hyundai as at least we they have a better warranty. MAZDA YOU SUCK.
How is a 2016 with 25k kms out of warranty powertrain wise? Here in the states its a 5 year / 60,000 MILE warranty...

41 - 60 of 69 Posts