2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife (2017 CX-5) got into a minor sandwich between an impaired driver and the car in front of her. She was given a Nissan Altima as a rental. I got to drive it on the last day. Yuck, very disappointed. I was expecting so much more but the car was average in every way. It did nothing well.
So glad to have my 3 back...kinda feel soiled...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Been there too with the altima on business trips on multiple occasions. Nothing has changed in the last 10 plus years. Feels like driving my old 2002 mazda 626. I definitely thought it was close to the head of it's class 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I haven't driven a Nissan in about 10 years, and boy is that a wonderful thing.

In the past I've driven two versas, an altima and a maxima. They all were crap. My biggest complaint is that the suspension is way too soft. No road feedback at all, just feels sloppy to drive. Nothing special about these cars at all.

But I suppose if you want something cheap that has better reliability than north American offerings, it might be a good choice. Just so long as you don't care about the driving experience what so ever, because these cars are going to crap all over that.

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
Yep, Toyota is guilty, too. Pretty sure they both spend more money on marketing than they do on actual research and development.

Companies like Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, and maybe even Chevrolet are all responsible for killing sedan sales with their boring, unreliable, (and or outdated) cars... This is the real reason why Crossovers and small SUV's are so common in America, I reckon. :sweatdrop:

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,630 Posts
While I agree with most of your post...Toyota has actually greatly improved the handling and driving experience in their more recent model year cars. Mazda even uses them as a benchmark to compare their cars against now.

They used to benchmark the Mazda against BMW, to give you an idea of how much Toyota has improved.

They no longer benchmark against BMW as the driving experience in their cars has decreased a ton over the past few years. The article I read said the car feels unnatural (or synthetic) with very little feedback from the road.
CK

P.S. The Nissan Altima, Maxima and Versa are total crap. I don't get how a company that makes the Skyline and the Z can even put their name on cars like that.

Reactions: alextheGOAT

·
Registered
988 Posts
I tried to rent a Mazda 3 before I bought mine, but they had shortage of "3's" last minute and I was given a Nissan Almera instead. It felt like I was on a boat every time I drove it, horrible handling as well.

To my own taste, Nissan's car design is just hideous (I highly dislike their U or V shaped chrome signature), and I just look at the Nissan Juke and I am.....speechless. Seriously, how can people buy that s1*@?!

But I guess boring people buy these cars...(not meaning to offend anybody who has or has previously owned a Nissan. To be completely honest and fair my dad owns a Nissan Navarra lol)

·
Registered
661 Posts
I know the feeling - i was more into Nissans in the early 90's, they've since been steered in some weird, and often ugly, directions.

The biggest "eww" moment i've had occurred when i used to own an RX-8. I knew it was a killer driving and handling car and loved it, but never was it so obvious than when my mom had me her drive her '00 v6 mustang one day. The only thing missing was a turret on the roof. Don't get me wrong i'd surely check out the current mustang if i was in the market for sports car now, but back then, based on the noises and feedback it was giving me, I was checking the mirrors to make sure nothing was falling off behind me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I always loved my 07 Frontier and was sad to give it up. It never felt sluggish. Always firm and controlled. Although I once read a comparison that the feel was closer to a Z (which I have never driven), than any other Nissan vehicle. While I was considering my options when I was shopping for my 3, I did try the at the time, new Rogue. I was really excited for it but after I got it and drove it, I was immediately underwhelmed. No feel, desperately wanted more power than it had and it showed. Reminded me of a 2010 4 cylinder Malibu which I am also a 0% fan. I think the Altimas are starting to look better. After their redesign, there were a lot of elements that I thought could use some improvement and they have been.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I first bought a 2016 Altima and owned it for a week, that's right a week and the transmission gave away (hertz car 42K miles). Thankfully Hertz took the car back and decided to go with the Mazda 3 (hertz also). The transmission overheats in the Nissan and it is a known problem, the mechanic at the dealership told me that they installed a small cooling system or something like that in the transmission.

The 2.5 liter engine has good power but as you all said no feedback, good for family car. In the 90's I use to own the Maxima and it was a great car and a lot of power don't know about the newer models of maxima though.

I wish the Hertz carried the 2.5L Mazda3, just need little more power that's all, other than that I'm happy with the Mazda3.

·
Registered
37 Posts
While I agree with most of your post...Toyota has actually greatly improved the handling and driving experience in their more recent model year cars. Mazda even uses them as a benchmark to compare their cars against now.

They used to benchmark the Mazda against BMW, to give you an idea of how much Toyota has improved.

They no longer benchmark against BMW as the driving experience in their cars has decreased a ton over the past few years. The article I read said the car feels unnatural (or synthetic) with very little feedback from the road.
CK

P.S. The Nissan Altima, Maxima and Versa are total crap. I don't get how a company that makes the Skyline and the Z can even put their name on cars like that.
I'm pretty sure the mazda engineer in the interview you're referring to only mentioned the new camry.. other toyotas still suck. my gf has a fairly new corolla and trust me it still sucks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, Toyota is guilty, too. Pretty sure they both spend more money on marketing than they do on actual research and development.

Companies like Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, and maybe even Chevrolet are all responsible for killing sedan sales with their boring, unreliable, (and or outdated) cars... This is the real reason why Crossovers and small SUV's are so common in America, I reckon. :sweatdrop:
My wife's CX-5 drives much better than the Altima....

·
Your mom goes to college.
162 Posts
I personally kind of like the Altima. It’s not particularly exciting (though it’s surprisingly quick) and it’s not an A or A+ at anything, but it’s a B- at everything. It’s pretty good all-around IMO.

Not the car I’d choose first because I like an exciting drive, but I would consider it if I needed a mid-size comfy family sedan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I personally kind of like the Altima. It’s not particularly exciting (though it’s surprisingly quick) and it’s not an A or A+ at anything, but it’s a B- at everything. It’s pretty good all-around IMO.

Not the car I’d choose first because I like an exciting drive, but I would consider it if I needed a mid-size comfy family sedan.
But the Accord is an A at everything.. so why

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Your mom goes to college.
162 Posts
But the Accord is an A at everything.. so why
Yes it is. The difference is price and availability. Depending on your price range, the Altima can be a great value for a good all-around car. IMHO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts