2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. Right now I have the factory 17 inch wheels.

I am getting new wheels for my Evo IX MR and I will be putting the OEM mitsubishi MR BBS wheels on the Mazda 3.

I have the factory suspension on the Mazda 3 and it is not any lower than the factory built it.

Does anyone have thoughts on tires for this? I am concerned about rubbing during suspension travel during hard cornering or over large bumps.

The factory Evo IX MR wheel size is 17 x 8 with an offset of 38mm.

I was thinking of going with 225, or possibly 215 tires to prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the same wheels with 235/45 tires and I'm planing to put them on my 2016 Mazda 3. Should fit without a problem. There is plenty of space under the fenders.

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same wheels with 235/45 tires and I'm planing to put them on my 2016 Mazda 3. Should fit without a problem. There is plenty of space under the fenders.
2016 is a completely different car than 2012. I am looking for someone who's physically done this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have 235/45 R17 tires on my 2013 and I don't rub at all. I have the Drag DR-33 17" rims (from America's Tire).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 2012 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. Right now I have the factory 17 inch wheels.

I am getting new wheels for my Evo IX MR and I will be putting the OEM mitsubishi MR BBS wheels on the Mazda 3.

I have the factory suspension on the Mazda 3 and it is not any lower than the factory built it.

Does anyone have thoughts on tires for this? I am concerned about rubbing during suspension travel during hard cornering or over large bumps.

The factory Evo IX MR wheel size is 17 x 8 with an offset of 38mm.

I was thinking of going with 225, or possibly 215 tires to prevent rubbing.

I run 225/45/17 on 17x8 45offset rpf1s on my 2011 Mazda 3 sedan with stock suspension and there is no rubbing. I dont think 8mm extra offset will do anything. especially since you are on stock suspension. they will just stick out 8mm more which is barely 1/2 in.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I know it's not a hatch. But here's my car. BC Coilovers maxed out, tires are Continental DWS06 225/45/17. Very very slight rubbing on rears on sharp cornering.

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's not a hatch. But here's my car. BC Coilovers maxed out, tires are Continental DWS06 225/45/17. Very very slight rubbing on rears on sharp cornering.
No photo is showing up for me....

I also don't know what kind of wheels you have (offset or width)

What do you mean "maxed out" (maximum high, or maximum low?)

·
Registered
387 Posts
No photo is showing up for me....

I also don't know what kind of wheels you have (offset or width)

What do you mean "maxed out" (maximum high, or maximum low?)

Are you on m3r on facebook? Shoot me a message. - Romer Malonzo

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to trying this. I took my Evo wheels off months ago, but I took the OEM wheels off of the mazda 3 and tried the Evo wheels on.

Here is the fit, please understand that I have the factory suspension (which I intend on keeping)

The mazda 3 is a comfort car for me, I'm older and I have no intensions on making this car "fast". (hence, why I have an evo ix)

Attachments

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because the front was a little past the fender (you can see about 1/2") I wanted to compress the suspension fully and make sure that it would not rub with the suspension in full upward position.

I removed the strut, and took out the spring. I reassembled it with no spring and remounted the wheel. I lowered my hoist with something under the right front wheel so it would go upward. To my pleasant surprise, there will be no rubbing as the camber obviously becomes much more negative as the wheel travels up.

Here are some photos with it in maximum position, it seems to just barely clear.

Keep in mind these are the factory evo ix yokahama advan a046 tires. They are 235/45/17. I am going to buy 225/45/17 tires, so I will even have slightly more room.

Attachments

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
225/45/17 BF goodrich mounted on freshy powdercoated gold bbs evo wheels: factory suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
might need some 10 or 20 mm spacers on the rear to make the fitment look.... symetrical?

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
might need some 10 or 20 mm spacers on the rear to make the fitment look.... symetrical?
No thanks. I don't use wheel spacers on my cars. That's like using duct tape to fix a cracked tail light IMO.

It looks different in real life. The rear is lower than the front, so naturally in 3D it tends to visually fit better.

If this ever bothers me I'd take off my fenders, modify them and then repaint if I want them to match the flushness in the back. Really it is only a half-inch different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No thanks. I don't use wheel spacers on my cars. That's like using duct tape to fix a cracked tail light IMO.

It looks different in real life. The rear is lower than the front, so naturally in 3D it tends to visually fit better.

If this ever bothers me I'd take off my fenders, modify them and then repaint if I want them to match the flushness in the back. Really it is only a half-inch different.
I wasn't tlking about those cheap ebay spacers.. I'm talking about those who got bolts and extra studs in them.. you know, something like this :

either way... question ... are those wheels expensive ?/impossible to find ? 'cause I can't seem to find any... even with the shit ton of Stanced EVO 8/9 we see all the time

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't tlking about those cheap ebay spacers.. I'm talking about those who got bolts and extra studs in them..
I would not use wheel spacers regardless of the design. I have a full size paint booth and bodyshop on my property. I would still rather modify the fenders.

are those wheels expensive ?/impossible to find ? 'cause I can't seem to find any... even with the shit ton of Stanced EVO 8/9 we see all the time
I got mine on my Evo IX. They are factory with the MR's. That's one of my other cars. I put on 9" wheels on that car, and had these sitting around. They were much nicer than factory, so I decided to test fit, paint and install. Factory Evo wheels are for sale on evolutionm.net at times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a full size paint booth and bodyshop on my property. I would still rather modify the fenders.

that is.... AWESOME ! subscribed to the thread looking foward on some progress :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts