2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever notice how the Mazda3's audio system (aftermarket or not) just doesn't provide the high frequency detail or "sparkle" that it should? That's because the tweeter on the driver's side -- literally the closest speaker to your ear -- is pointing away from you.

For some background, I was the one who posted the info on replacing the front tweeters with the $20 Kia Forte tweeters a couple years back; I also stripped and sound deadened the entire interior (MLV, CCF, foil backed butyl) and have upgraded the front woofers to MM6501 components tied in with the Kia tweeters since then, but even with all those upgrades SOMETHING was still missing. Last night I made the single biggest improvement on clarity and detail since all those mods, and I must say, you're going to be blown away with how good it sounds and anyone can try it right now.

Those of you who know how high frequencies work know that they are very directional. A tweeter's job is to produce high frequencies. Therefore if it's not pointing towards the listener, they're losing nearly all the detail and sparkle coming out of it. The fix? A small plastic deflector on the driver's side held in place with a bit of water-soluble glue.

You can try this yourself by simply holding up your smartphone to the tweeter to reflect the sound back at you and enjoy the CLEAR, DETAILED soundstage!

Q: Why does this work?
On high end car audio setups the tweeters are either pointed directly at the driver (i.e. Honda Accord EX-L and above) or they are installed below the windshield (i.e. Audi A7) using the windshield as a high frequency deflector angled back at the driver.

The plastic bit I added essentially acts as a windshield replacement and routes those lovely high frequencies right to your ears where they belong. Fabricating your very own deflector is simple enough with a bit of flexible plastic and some water soluble glue (makes it easy to remove if needed). Anything works really and no matter what it will sound so much better than stock!

Now, naturally I'd recommend replacing the tweeters and installing Polk MM6501 woofers/crossovers along with this so that there's a front channel really worth listening to, but even 100% stock this single tweak completely closes what's arguably the biggest treble flaw with the factory sound system, Bose or not. Try it yourself and leave a comment! ENJOY!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I understand what you're saying and I'll give it a try with my phone, but I would want something that looks more stock. I have noticed that the tweets are pointing incorrectly for our ears...and I have bad hearing as it is.

Looks like those Polk's are discontinued, but they can be found (ebay).

Did you install those Polk woofers and if so, did you have to build a template to mount them? That's the only thing I'm worried about if I were to replace my door speakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts