2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is having a great 4th!

So flashback to the 25 hour of thunder hill blog you may have read at the beginning of the year. Not only did we put some of our parts to the test during that race, we also wanted to put 0W20 to the test, and set aside any myths that 0W20 will not hold up well enough, or isn't "thick" enough for your Skyactiv G.

Here was Derricks write up on it, and I hope it proves as valuable information for you all! https://corksport.com/blog/mazda-motor-oil/

Thanks for the continued support, and happy motoring.

#Fastfridge

Regards,
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you data log oil temps vs oil pressure? That's the issue i normally see at the track

Yeah we have loads of Data, there was never an issue in the oil pressure. Considering he was pretty much just WOT the whole time you would never expect to see lower numbers, but he will be trying to pull some of that data to show you guys.

There was a small little oil cooler attached to the car just for the sake of endurance racing.

- Brett

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,144 Posts
Cool. Mazda knows their stuff alright.

Thanks for sharing the info.
CK

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey I was curious, I see your GLoc sticker. I like carbotech on my BRZ. What do you run on track? XP12?

I want a higher temp set of pads for street but afraid to spend 400$ on a set of pads that will sound like a freight train when I stop. I run 1521 on the street on the BRZ and it is quiet but still fades even with the AP Racing BBK. So I know it won't work for me on the Mazda. Any recommendation? Looking to do a brake job soon, definitely before winter. I am looking for quiet pads that can take some more heat than OEM, I don't care about dust or rotor wear. Price is not too much a concern within reason (not looking for 1,000$ brake pads)

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Hey I was curious, I see your GLoc sticker. I like carbotech on my BRZ. What do you run on track? XP12?

I want a higher temp set of pads for street but afraid to spend 400$ on a set of pads that will sound like a freight train when I stop. I run 1521 on the street on the BRZ and it is quiet but still fades even with the AP Racing BBK. So I know it won't work for me on the Mazda. Any recommendation? Looking to do a brake job soon, definitely before winter. I am looking for quiet pads that can take some more heat than OEM, I don't care about dust or rotor wear. Price is not too much a concern within reason (not looking for 1,000$ brake pads)
This company makes performance/street set - Yellowstuff

Some of the racing pads don't stop well cold

https://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
This company makes performance/street set - Yellowstuff

Some of the racing pads don't stop well cold

https://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/
Bad ezperience wirh EBC. I heard they fixed it now but had pad crumble off backing plate with street driving.

Funny enough was yellowstuff like you posted and like you said cold bite was not great. Felt good heated up. But same time they couldn't take high heat.

I was tempted to get redstuff on my last car but I decoded to try duralast gt instead. Never got a chance to give them a real workout since my car was totaled shortly after. And duralast gt is not made for mazda 3.

So I might try redstuff even though I don't want to. Was curious about other options which is what prompted me to ask cork sport. Maybe they will come back, or someone else

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
wow you're in tough spot, while OEM metallic ones are good and the mid range aftermarket pads are questionable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What type of oil system upgrades have (or haven't been done)?
Oil cooler?
Baffled pan?
Dry-sump?
Surge tank?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yea... ok so they ran a 0w20 RACING SPEC oil. What’s to be expected here? Lol.

Now if they ran a regular off the shelf 0w20, I honestly don’t think the analysis would look as good.

Oh and the lead spike does show wear was happening. Who knows if a thicker 5w30 or even 5w40 would have helped or not.

Mazda recommends 0w20 in the US but recommends 5w30 everywhere else in the world... that’s saying something right there.

At the end of the day, your typical daily beater doesn’t care what you run. I’ve tried it all, even 0w40 Mobil 1. Engine ran great.

·
Registered
659 Posts
At the end of the day, your typical daily beater doesn’t care what you run. I’ve tried it all, even 0w40 Mobil 1. Engine ran great.
Some of the best advice I ever got from an earlier of mechanic of mine when worried about switching to synthetic from dino oil on an 03 forester..."Just make sure there's oil in it." 200k later still going strong.

Of course im not going to temp fate and pour 5qts of 20w50 in my mazda for fun, not hard to find 0-20 synthetic on sale every oil change. But I agree its not worth fretting over, unless you just enjoy analysing the hell out of oil..which is fine too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts