2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some hilarity parking next to another liquid silver 2014 tonight. It had different options. But in the dark it's hard to tell your car from another. Anyways, on my way out I watched a couple pull their cart up to my car so sure it was theirs. When they went to open it wouldn't open. The wife noticed the mistake first when they went to hit the key open. I laughed a little as I did this a lot with my honda odyssey as the san francisco bay area has a lot of them. Apparently the silver Mazda 3 has started to become a little popular.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Someone that parks in the same lot downtown just bought a 2015 sGT in the same color as mine. It's only a matter of time until I pull on their door handle and get confused.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I love my liquid silver hatch, but am not sure how I feel about that color becoming more prevalent on the highways and byways.

According to a poll on this forum, silver is the "least popular" color for the Gen3.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/27962-what-color-2014-mazda-3-your-favorite.html

Of course, "least popular" does not necessarily mean "least prevalent" on the roads. In any case, I was sorta liking having a less popular/prevalent color--precisely so that I wouldn't experience mistaking someone else's car for my own! (Way too much of that with my old beige '94 Corolla and my grey '02 Camry!)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I remember when I first started driving my family had the ubiquitous at the time Dodge Caravan. We were parked at the library or something and I was running in while they waited in the car. Apparently while I was in there another identical minivan parked next to ours, and when I came back out I literally got into that van (no one locked cars back then) and then looked around confused when I didn't see my family, only to see them in the next car laughing hysterically.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only have a stock 3 besides window tinting, but I have never mistaken my car for another. I always look at my license plate prior to approaching my car to indeed make sure it is mine..

·
Registered
412 Posts
Happens all the time in Québec. Mazda3 is the 4th best-selling vehicle pretty much every month in Canada.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did notice a lot of Mazda 3s when I visited Toronto a couple years ago.

Anyway, it hasn't happened with my MZ3, and probably won't since I have the Soul Red but it did with a Toyota Corolla I use to own. Since those cars are sooooo rare, I ended up street parking near one in the same color. It was dark out when I got into mine only to realize that the radio had changed back into the stock model. Apparently, mine was parked 2 or 3 cars behind. This was an older car, so my key unlocked the door! Then in my haste to get out the car, my phone fell out and I didn't realize it until I went to use it later. I had to go back and retrieve it out of the other Toyota. Thankfully, the car was still parked in the same spot. Imagine if the owner had gotten in and found my phone..... It's funny now.

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Several years ago, I was with a friend at a coffee shop and he was driving a Mercedes (old model). Somehow, the same exact car (same colour, even) stopped next to the coffee shop. When we finished our coffee, we walked back to the car and while he walked towards his car, I entered this other Mercedes and even put the passenger seat belt before realising my mistake... How did I figured out I was in the wrong car? The different stereo and the look on my friends face.

Never leave your car unlocked!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Never had this problem before, my car is almost always stock but unpopular color-wise or model-wise (gray 08 mitsubishi outlander, yellow 03 mazda 3). Not sure about my new red mazda 3 though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts