2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. I bought the Mazda Lowering Springs from Europe. And While trying to install them on Saturday I came to realize that they are (1) possible built wrong but tagged right in every possible way, Unlikely. Or (2) the Euro 3’s have a different strut than ours.

The problem, while using spring compressors to take off the stock spring, I did not have to use them to put on this lowering spring.
I could push down on the upper mount and get the nut started by hand. After fully tightened the spring still moved around. So, I was hoping there is some other person out there that also tried using these springs on an US Car. I put my original spring back on and need to figure out my next move.

Please note the German instructions make reference to this as a “Pro-Kit” but These are marked differently and have a different look than the US “Pro-Kits” I have seen on this forum.

Lowering Kit for Gasoline Cars 4100-77-974

My next step is to go back to the UK dealership where I bought this kit and ask them for the part number and upper strut mount part numbers to verify with the US numbers.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,173 Posts
I don't see the problem? The springs are lowering springs. They are shorter and probably a bit stiffer. That is how they work. Just because you don't need a compressor to install them means nothing. Mount them up, the weight of the car will do the rest. The springs on my MX5 have about 2 inches of freeplay at full droop. Its not really in issue once the car compresses everything into place.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't see the problem? The springs are lowering springs. They are shorter and probably a bit stiffer. That is how they work. Just because you don't need a compressor to install them means nothing. Mount them up, the weight of the car will do the rest. The springs on my MX5 have about 2 inches of freeplay at full droop. Its not really in issue once the car compresses everything into place.
This is true. I used to lower a lot of Civics and never needed to compress the springs going back on. Also after looking around some more, the Euro spec eibach springs are linear. The US ones are progressive rate. So it makes sense that they would be shorter

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For Mazda 3 2015 BM 2.2 disel is 4100-77-975 and thats are on my mazda

For gasoline Mazda 3 BM part number is 4100-77-974

And yes for mounting on you dont need compressor, my droped 5cm and nothing is banging, everything is ok
Ok I will just install them and carefully line everything up when I reinstall the strut assembly back into the car.
It was just a little concerning having the spring be a little loose (but not sloppy) with the mount all the way down.

Dacho how is the ride with these springs. how is your ride height.

·
Read Only
26 Posts
Ok I will just install them and carefully line everything up when I reinstall the strut assembly back into the car.
It was just a little concerning having the spring be a little loose (but not sloppy) with the mount all the way down.

Dacho how is the ride with these springs. how is your ride height.
Unfortunately I can not tell the difference between the original and Eibach springs because I ordered a car with built-in springs . But I was in the lounge when they were assembled and then we measure the original amount and after a few months of height with Eibach springs , the difference is about 5 cm . Definitely for sharper driving should be wider tires. Since I have Aero spoiler kit is a bit tricky but I got used to it.

First photo is original springs, other two with Eibach, and the last is after month or two

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got mine installed and so far very happy with the drop and feel.
It has rained since I installed them so no hard driving has been done.

I didn't measure the rear drop for some reason.
But the front is about 1.75" could drop a little more over the next couple days.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can someone on here help me quantify the rate increase over stock? My Google fu is weak today.

OEM is 143/171 lbs/in, and the progressive models we get here are indeed softer in the rears during he first stage @137 lbs/in.

I need to know if these are close to matching the increased rate of the Racing Beats, at 162/211 lbs/in

The euro specs are...non existent.

I'm just looking for a decent set of linear springs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
To the OP, do these ride quite a bit stiffer than the OEM springs? I'm assuming you're still using the stock shocks? Just from my experience with my Mk5 GTI, a 1.75" drop is something you'd usually pair with sport shocks. And that's something I'm trying to avoid just given that it's a daily for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
do these springs drop more than the US eibach springs?

Yes, quite a bit per searching Eibach's site. The US Pro-Kit springs drop 1" F, 1.3" R. They're also progressive rather than linear. The OEM springs are linear which is what you really want in all honesty, especially since Mazda engineered the handling characteristics based off that.

I'm just going off what I've learned in the VW world that anything more than 1.5" drop and you usually want to pair it with an aftermarket strut. Koni Yellows or FSD's or Bilstein sports (I'm personally not a fan of Koni's twin tube design).

Reactions: jtlucena

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To the OP, do these ride quite a bit stiffer than the OEM springs? I'm assuming you're still using the stock shocks? Just from my experience with my Mk5 GTI, a 1.75" drop is something you'd usually pair with sport shocks. And that's something I'm trying to avoid just given that it's a daily for me.
Yes a bit stiffer but not extreme. I used the stock springs because that's what Mazda would do if they installed them.
I will eventually get some sport shocks, or switch to Coil overs, just haven't thought out it yet.

My front lip has been scraped many of times, from curbs and dips in the road. But maybe better shocks would help with the dips.

If I did it over again I might just go with the CS, or H&R springs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh serious? Are they the same P/N between engines? Looks like it is. Just wasn't sure if the 2.5's had beefier shocks stock given that they weigh 150-200lbs more than a 2.0.

Yeah I priced out Bilstein B8 shocks at $825 shipped from TireRack plus the $220 for the springs. Then on their site, they have Bilstein PSS coils (just height adjustable) for $985 shipped, but they're progressive. Food for thought for sure haha.

I run PSS on my GTI. Wish they were a bit stiffer, but it's not a daily anymore lol.

I'll probably just keep it stock ride height. If I were going to do anything, I'd get a CS RSB, Bilstein B8's with new strut mounts and bearings and pair them with the stock springs. Why? Because I can clear 18x8.5 ET38 wheels (Evo X) with 245/40 tires even autox'ing without rubbing.

I'm planning on getting 17x9 ET45 RPF1's redrilled for the GTI with 245/40/17 RE-71R's that'll probably fit the 3 with no issue too lol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looking for some help. I bought the Mazda Lowering Springs from Europe. And While trying to install them on Saturday I came to realize that they are (1) possible built wrong but tagged right in every possible way, Unlikely. Or (2) the Euro 3’s have a different strut than ours.

The problem, while using spring compressors to take off the stock spring, I did not have to use them to put on this lowering spring.
I could push down on the upper mount and get the nut started by hand. After fully tightened the spring still moved around. So, I was hoping there is some other person out there that also tried using these springs on an US Car. I put my original spring back on and need to figure out my next move.

Please note the German instructions make reference to this as a “Pro-Kit” but These are marked differently and have a different look than the US “Pro-Kits” I have seen on this forum.

Lowering Kit for Gasoline Cars 4100-77-974

My next step is to go back to the UK dealership where I bought this kit and ask them for the part number and upper strut mount part numbers to verify with the US numbers.
Where did you buy them from?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I did it over again I might just go with the CS, or H&R springs.
I'm curious as to why? Are you just wanting to go lower?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The ride is just kind of bumpy at times, and i think the H&R might be a little softer because of the type of spring.
Also the H&R's are 100 some bucks cheaper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.