2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have one of the Dieselgate VWs that's being bought back. We finally were able to schedule our buyback date, in 7 weeks. We're tentatively planning to purchase a 3GT hatchback, manual, which will likely mean ordering. We have an '06 3s Touring hatch, which we also ordered (still contemplating whether to keep the 11 year old 3 or give it to the nearly 16 year old. My instinct is to keep it, since we'd not likely get enough on it in trade to make it worth giving it up for that extra space in the driveway). IIRC it took about 2 months from the time we ordered it until it arrived at our dealership.

What sort of timeframe have people been seeing on ordered vehicles?

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
I was told 6 - 8 weeks when I ordered mine at end of Nov 2015. I didn't receive in until middle of March 2016 -- it was a painful 18ish week wait. But I just kept telling myself "all things awesome are worth waiting for." And boy was it ever.

I think 8 weeks is a reasonable time frame, but your dealership that is ordering it would be able to tell you what the average wait is. Hopefully not as long as mine, but I know others have reported "long" waits too.

Cheers and good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been told to expect 6-8 weeks as that's typical, but can be up to 3 months if nothing exceptional happens. Apparently certain circumstances for some cars can be as long as 6 months.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The dealership nearest here says 3 months. Of course, they're the same ones who said our sGT didn't exist.

I'd test driven an iSport there but didn't like the black interiors. Set my mind on an sGT with the almond interior. Found one with 6M on Autotrader. Went back to the dealership and told them I'd found one. "Doesn't mean it exists." the sales person with gut hanging down to China sourly said. Turned out he didn't know his computer; so, he disappeared across the room to a co-worker who knew how. I found him and went over there. The co-worker said there's on 6M on the entire Eastern Seaboard.

I immediately went back home and got onto Autotrader again and called the dealer up in Butler, Pa north of Pittsburgh. He said he's check his inventory. Called me back within 2 minutes and said it was there. We rented a car and drove it up there the next week. Took less than 30 minutes to buy the car and be on our way back to Charlottesville, 6 hours south.

It's a great car.

Ralph

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. Sounds like it's still a long trek across the Pacific all the way to MI. I'd rather not have to deal with a new car before the end of Winter (ie mid-April, in these parts), since we won't have snow tires until next Fall. So waiting 2-6 months isn't the end of the world.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ya it takes a while and you don't really know for sure until you start the process.

I had to wait 4 weeks for mine, but luckily mine was reserved for me while it was already on the boat working its way across the pond.

This was the options / interior configuration I wanted in my second exterior color choice. The same car in my first choice of exterior color would've added an extra 6-8 weeks to my wait.

I decided to wait the 4 weeks instead of 10-12 and I'm not upset with my second color choice :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put in my order for a 3GT hatch on Sep 25, ETA is expected Jan 20th, so it took almost 4 months... and I am in Southern California

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put in my order for a 3GT hatch on Sep 25, ETA is expected Jan 20th, so it took almost 4 months... and I am in Southern California

oh, and the dealer told me that my order was expedited... lmao!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya it takes a while and you don't really know for sure until you start the process.

I had to wait 4 weeks for mine, but luckily mine was reserved for me while it was already on the boat working its way across the pond.

This was the options / interior configuration I wanted in my second exterior color choice. The same car in my first choice of exterior color would've added an extra 6-8 weeks to my wait.

I decided to wait the 4 weeks instead of 10-12 and I'm not upset with my second color choice :)
Ahhh...so they could give you an ETA for the same model, dependent on color? I love the eternal blue mica, but I could be happy with just about anything other than the black or really dark blue one. I've had enough dark-colored cars that I don't want another.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've ordered 2 mazda's from my dealer. the first one they found already on the boat so it just got re-routed. Think that one took about 6 weeks. My latest mazda was built to order and it took 3 months.

The way it works it basically dealers can only place orders at the very end, or very begining of the month (basically the 1st of the money +/- a few days). The factory (well Japan) then will usually have it built that month and on the boat. Boat takes around a month to get it. And then once in Port, it then takes another 2-3 weeks to get prepped, put on a truck and delivered to your dealer.

FYI, if you actually order one, your dealer can pull it up in their system and it will give you the ETA of Port as well as dealer delivery. The coolest thing is it also gives you the VIN number and then you can contact mazda and they will e-mail you the Window sticker (I had my Window sticker weeks before the car actually got delivered). Talk about a teaser!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ahhh...so they could give you an ETA for the same model, dependent on color? I love the eternal blue mica, but I could be happy with just about anything other than the black or really dark blue one. I've had enough dark-colored cars that I don't want another.
My dealer was able to yes, I'm not sure if it matters but I was dealing directly with the sales manager. I'm not sure if he has more insight or tools than sales associates. However to confirm the reservation for what I wanted to go with I had to confirm and place the deposit quickly once he confirmed my options.

I had in advance worked out the deal already with the dealer for the car with the exception of the possible charge for the paint color so it was either reserve the available one on the way or get in que for production and he was able to tell me approx when it would be in production.

My first choice was Eternal Blue, but with the black interior on a fully equipped hatch.
My second choice was the same but Soul Red.

Eternal blue was available either in sedan form or hatch form with the white interior and/or without the tech package at the time however the white interior and sedan, although I did prefer the looks of the sedan, was a deal breaker for me.

Once the deal was set for the car he went searching for my 2 configurations and in short order I had my 2 options to choose from, the deposit was placed and the car on the boat was "mine" - he had the VIN to me shortly after the deposit was placed. At that point it was a matter of waiting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IIRC our 11 year old 3 was already on the boat, too, and also took maybe 6-8 weeks.

Interesting about the end of month/beginning of month ordering. That makes some sense. So we'll probably be ordering at the end of Feb. That should give us an ETA sometime post-Winter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Update: it's closing in on 4 months since I put in my order and the dealership has no clue when my car will arrive... all they tell me is "it's on the way". The ship apparently left Japan on 12/9 so not sure if it is circumnavigating the world first before landing in San Diego. This is highly frustrating.

Going to wait till the 4 month mark, if I do not hear anything I need to figure out how to get my deposit back.

What is the longest you guys have waited on a factory order?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Anyone else order a "3" within the US during the past year who can add their order-to-delivery information here please (as I too am just about to order, with my timing considering ETA)?

Thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone else order a "3" within the US during the past year who can add their order-to-delivery information here please (as I too am just about to order, with my timing considering ETA)?

Dealers usually have the most up-to-date timing for orders. Any feedback from users here will be affected by their ports of entry, as well as all of the usual known factors.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Thanks and awaiting that specific info from them based on my desired specs, though they preliminarily said, before they knew what I wanted, 3-4 months. I have not formally placed my order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My order was put into the system at end of November, and is as of now on the boat coming to SoCal. I'm assuming port of entry is LA/Long Beach. AFAIK the car got onto the ship sometime between start of the year (dealership said car was produced) and earlier this week (was told car is on the water). They also claimed to put my car towards the top of their allocations, but I don't know if that's a thing that is possible or has any effect as an outsider. As of now, I'm just a touch over 6 weeks since the deadline for putting my order into the dealer's allocation.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Update: it's closing in on 4 months since I put in my order and the dealership has no clue when my car will arrive... all they tell me is "it's on the way". The ship apparently left Japan on 12/9 so not sure if it is circumnavigating the world first before landing in San Diego. This is highly frustrating.

Going to wait till the 4 month mark, if I do not hear anything I need to figure out how to get my deposit back.

What is the longest you guys have waited on a factory order?

Yeah I know that the dealers don't have a lot of info besides what the system tells them. It was the same thing with me in that there was an ETA for port, but until the car actually showed up, they were in the dark just as much as I was. However luckily for me, it did show when it was supposed to.

I had to wait so long that by the time I got it, I was almost like "Eh".

All in all, it was about 6 months for me I think. It all started when they couldn't find a 2016 with my choices. Then since the 2017 were coming out in a couple of months I decided to wait. Once the 17's started coming out, the dealers had to wait another 2 months before they could custom order (basically they were just getting whatever Mazda wanted to send them). Then I had to wait the 2-3 to actually get the car. So all in all it was about a 6-7 month timeline and just about killed me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dang. I'm guessing we'll be ordering late Feb or early March...once we have our VW cash in hand. If we havea 6 month wait we may be purchasing snow tires not long after we get ours. :tongue:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here is my timeline if it helps. I am in Southern California:

9/26: put in my order
10/6: confirmation from dealer that it's ordered
12/7: Production date
12/15: confirmation that it's "on water", port eta listed as 1/2
1/2: did some internet sleuthing and figured out that my ship is called Bravery Ace and tracked it, ship has arrived in port but just sitting offshore at anchor
1/11: ship has docked in port
1/12: got confirmation from dealer that car is in port, eta at dealer listed as 1/29

so now just waiting for release from port after accessories are installed. I only ordered the floor mats so not sure why it takes 2.5 weeks to clear the port... beyond ridiculous!

I've waited this long, just have to bear with a few more weeks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts