2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have installed the eonon ga9363, to drive the bose amp and stock speakers. Is the center speaker utilized by the eonon (or any other aftermarket head unit for that matter), or do i need to physically unplug it to have it not be? I dont see any center speaker control in the ga9363 but im not sure if the bose amp may be driving it anyway. I am in the process of swapping my tweeters with the kia forte tweeters recommended by other forum members, and i'm thinking i dont want the center speaker. I could always unplug it, but would rather not pull the vents again if i dont have to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FWIW for anyone looking to swap tweeters and retain the factory wiring harness, I believe the compatible tweeter female plug is "174057-2 TE" and if you already cut your harness and would like to go back to the factory tweeters, I believe the male plug is "174056-2 TE." Both are available on mouser.com at approximately 80 cents, so I ordered 4 just in case I screw up a crimp. Shipping was about $7.00, I will write back with confirmation that the female plug works with the factory wiring harness once I have everything installed.

Female end for tweeter: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/174057-2?qs=1Fv0GIFcFst20NnKqpteVg==
Male end for vehicle wiring: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/174056-2?qs=1Fv0GIFcFsvsjW9mWXEG/A==

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So yes, that is the proper connector end for the tweeter. If you decide to do this, keep in mind the pins for the connector that you crimp on the wires are sold separately. for the female plug, the pins needed are: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/173682-1-Loose-Piece?qs=/ha2pyFaduhpHynZNzB8G5nMMYXqwKPOhYhB7Xym3fgTxyCdCedt5A==

Here is the connector spliced into the forte tweeters installed in the Mazda 3 sails:

Here is a picture of the packaging for the male pins for the female connector for the tweeter, because it's labelled as "Loose Piece" so I figured you should have as much info as you need.

i ended up cutting off the mounting tabs on the forte tweeters, and then they fit nicely in the mazda sails. I then used hot glue in the 3 tabs on the mazda sail to hold the tweeters in place. It's enough glue that it's in there permanently, but I'm sure I could remove them and revert to stock in 10 minutes.

I'm sorry I do not have the part number for the female pins needed for the male connector plug to revert the cars wiring harness back to stock, because I did not need to purchase male connectors. However there is likely a link for them on the product page for the male connector, or, as I did, you can reach out to mouser and email them with the male connector part number or link above, and they will help you out.

First impression of the forte speakers is they definitely tame the highs, they aren't so ear piercing anymore and sound a bit clearer. Not bad for $15 tweeters. I can't give an in depth review because I only had a 5 minute listen.

As for the center speaker I'm just going to stick my ear near it and see if it's making sound like I did with the newly installed tweeters. I should have done that while checking the tweeters. I guess that's that, hopefully I've contributed some useful information here even though these cars are approaching 10 years old.

·
Registered
2009/10 Gen 2 Mazda 3 2.2D Sport.
11 Posts
Are you talking about the speaker that is in the dash beneath the displays? I didn't think they were used at all other than for the sat nav & Notification sounds?
Which Eonon head unit do you use? I installed the Eonon GA9363 last week. Seems to work well so far although I am now running into issues where I can hear my power steering through it when at full lock which is fun...

EDIT (Sept 2020) - Have finally realised that these speakers are actually used by the head unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts