2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, well I decided to keep the car and it has proven to keep my gas bill down. I am doing a bunch of driving for work, so the other toys would have cost me $$$ in gas. Anyway, since I decided to keep the car I am going to start to do some subtle mods.

First is wheels and tires.

I am looking into Enkei RPF01's in either 17x8.5 or 17x9 but what ET do i need to run?

I am either going to do Coilovers, but would rather do Konis and Springs...

Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Typically a wider wheel is better aesthetically but that'll depend on your tire size, offset in mind, as well as your choice of coilovers or springs.

If you go the spring route, I'd advise going a little more on the conservative side. Really wide aggressive setups look pretty goofy with fender-to-wheel gap present.

Either the 8.5 or 9 will work if you have an offset around 35-45 and don't mind a bit of tire stretch.

For reference, here's my 17x9 +48 offset with a 225/45-R17 tire stretched on the front of the car with stock fenders.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Funny enough... that's stock suspension. I just drove it up ONE of the ramps to compress the side of the suspension that I was test fitting the wheel/tire combo on.

Here's a shot of the fitment on the rear. I wasn't satisfied with the extra room that the rear had and that it didn't match the front so I added an 8mm spacer in back to even out the look front to back.

I did the same thing with the rear of the car, driving it onto a ramp on that side of the car except I had my heavy friend sit in the trunk too lol... as you might be able to tell from the pictures, I intend on getting coilovers. You won't be able to be that low on springs and any springs that do get you that low will just blow out your stock struts/shocks. If you plan on replacing those as well, then you've already spent the money required to just get some coilovers in the first place so that's my game plan.

·
TM3 Member
105 Posts
It is one thing to put a wheel up on a ramp, or curb in my case (everything seemed perfect as well - more on that below), and another matter when you actually have all 4 wheels on and put it on the ground to drive it.

You need +45 offset or less if you go coils. My friend and I are both running 9 wide. He is on bc coils and said that with +45 it was just way too close (he is also running 245/45/17 RS3's). Additionally, he added 3mm spacers in the front to get some clearance (and to reduce rubbing from his fat ass tires).

In my case, I am on koni yellow/road magnet 1.75 with +45 offset as well. I had to remove the counter weights in the front so the rim could fit; shouldn't be an issue as speed3s don't have it to begin with and it's primary purpose is to reduce NVH. That being said my rim (not my tire as I am running stretched 235/40/18 ) has rubbed against the inner fender liner at close to full lock and hard cornering.

The above offsets and issues are regards to the front, as there is still plenty of clearance and space in the rear. Hell you could probably run 10 wide out back with 42 offset lol...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts