Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Enkei Raijin in Hyper Silver

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time choosing rims for my white 3 hatch. Ideally I would've liked a nice set of 2nd hand BBS's but even used ones are out of my budget. I have narrowed it down to the Enkei Raijin in Hyper Silver, or the TSW Nurburgring in matte bronze. Looking at a 18x8 or 18x8.5 sizing in a +35 - +40 offset.

After a lot of researching it seems that the TSW's are almost 2 lbs lighter and have a better finish than the Enkei's. The Enkei's have their brand reputation to stand on, and the Hyper Silver finish is very nice but is a weak paint apparently. Both are about the same cost. I thought that bronze wheels would compliment the bronze Work S1R's I have on my R32 GTR right now, but the Enkei's on a white car look verrry nice.

Enkei Raijin:

TSW Nurburgring:

Attachments

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Yeah, the Nurburgrings are a good, light, extremely underrated wheel. The only complaint I've ever heard about them is that they sometimes take a little more lead to balance each wheel vs. Enkeis.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tirerack has these:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

They look just like your pictures and are a great choice IMO. You can see them on your car at Tirerack....

That said, the reviews indicate that these wheels are not easy to keep clean and may flake. From a maintenance standpoint, the 18's that came with our car are much better.
I looked at those as well but didn't like the look when I config'd it to the car on Tirerack. I got the GS model so it has a weak 16" alloy wheel.

Looks like TSW has the lead!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5+45 weigh 19.8 lbs. After I had mine pc'd the weight went up to 20 lbs even. The TSW are lighter than the Enkei because the wheel barrels are thinner and the load rating is lower. So basically if your going to hammer through monster potholes the Enkei are going to be the slightly tougher wheel. As far a adding weights to the TSW to balance them my BFG comp-2 took a lot of stick on weights to balance them and my Michelin PSS took very few so it was more the tires than anything when it come to balancing. At least in my case. If your going with low offset the Enkei are slightly more concave, but not by much.

Enkei's paint is kind of on the soft side. I had RP03's that chipped pretty easy. The Nurburgring matte gunmetal paint was pretty tough. I didn't have any chips after a year of use. The only thing I didn't like about the matte finish was that if you got a tiny bit of tar on the wheel the oil from the tar would spread out in a ring around the spot. The paint was obviously porous. Meh, it wasn't a big deal but it was weird looking. I'd imagine the matte bronze will do the same thing.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5+45 weigh 19.8 lbs. After I had mine pc'd the weight went up to 20 lbs even. The TSW are lighter than the Enkei because the wheel barrels are thinner and the load rating is lower. So basically if your going to hammer through monster potholes the Enkei are going to be the slightly tougher wheel. As far a adding weights to the TSW to balance them my BFG comp-2 took a lot of stick on weights to balance them and my Michelin PSS took very few so it was more the tires than anything when it come to balancing. At least in my case. If your going with low offset the Enkei are slightly more concave, but not by much.

Enkei's paint is kind of on the soft side. I had RP03's that chipped pretty easy. The Nurburgring matte gunmetal paint was pretty tough. I didn't have any chips after a year of use. The only thing I didn't like about the matte finish was that if you got a tiny bit of tar on the wheel the oil from the tar would spread out in a ring around the spot. The paint was obviously porous. Meh, it wasn't a big deal but it was weird looking. I'd imagine the matte bronze will do the same thing.
That was very informative, much appreciated. It's nice to hear from someone with real world experiences with both. It looks like the TSWs have a load rating of 1350lbs and the Enkei's are at 1545lbs. The car is on the lighter side and it's purely a grocery getter. The roads in Edmonton however are terrible and I'm sure it's jarred a few things loose on the Skyline.

Reactions: warlord

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a landslide decision for the Nurburgrings! I might have them powdercoated gloss black down the road too. Who knows maybe I'll love the bronze on white combo so much I won't paint them after all.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Polling is now closed. TSW obviously won by a wide margin.

Closing the poll prevents this thread from being bumped every time someone votes. This thread is still open to post in though.

Just an FYI. I'm a member of Club Lexus. Nurburgring wins over Enkei Raijin by a wide margin over there too. :yes:

Reactions: My spoon is too big

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Lord of War!

I plan on ordering the Nurburgrings next month. 19x8+35 on 235/35/19 Falken Azenis FK453. It'll probably look silly for a while on stock height until someone releases some lowering springs.

Reactions: warlord

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can probably take a look at the XXR 530 wheels in Chromium Black. Those are the ones I am looking to get when I get my 3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had VMR v710 on my Golf and love the look you are going after on the 3. I would pick the TSW's as well. Make sure you post pictures when you get them installed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts