2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm relying on the Google translation of the Japanese Mazda site, but it looks like there was a press release saying that the 2021 model 3 in Japan has some engine and suspension upgrades:
1) Software enhancements to the engine and transmission control logic for the SkyActiv X to produce better power & acceleration: "The maximum output has been improved from 132kW (180ps) to 140kW (190ps) * 6 , and the maximum torque has been improved from 224Nm to 240Nm."
2) Suspension retune: "By improving the characteristics of coil springs and dampers across all models, the entire suspension can be moved more smoothly, suppressing vibration transmitted from the road surface to the inside of the vehicle, improving dynamics performance and riding comfort."

While we don't get the SkyActiv X in the US, I wonder when the suspension changes will be introduced here? There were some other small enhancements made too, see press release below:

link: 「MAZDA3」を商品改良

·
Registered
63 Posts
"The maximum output has been improved from 132kW (180ps) to 140kW (190ps) * 6 , and the maximum torque has been improved from 224Nm to 240Nm."
Maybe their aim is to improve the current not-even-close-to-diesel-like fuel economy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$20 says we get these improvements in 2022 minus an increase in power. Japan tends to get things first before the Muricans do.
Agreed, that's what I was thinking. I wonder if we should reach out to Mazda NA to ask...they're pretty responsive over twitter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
2) Suspension retune: "By improving the characteristics of coil springs and dampers across all models, the entire suspension can be moved more smoothly, suppressing vibration transmitted from the road surface to the inside of the vehicle, improving dynamics performance and riding comfort."
This would be highly desirable, just seems to be too good to be true.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would expect that all Mazda3s will be getting the suspension changes for any car since the announcement. The Skyactive-X upgrades are already announce for Europe. New cars will be built like this, while Mazda is offering a free upgrade for the older cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would expect that all Mazda3s will be getting the suspension changes for any car since the announcement. The Skyactive-X upgrades are already announce for Europe. New cars will be built like this, while Mazda is offering a free upgrade for the older cars.
Agree that all of the 3's will likely get these upgrades, but I wonder when? They don't like to make upgrades mid-year during a model year, so maybe the suspension updates will happen for model year 2022?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Gen 3 had some mid-cycle updates at least in the NA markets, interior changes, electronic parking brake, g-vector, improved noise isolation, suspension damping changes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Gen 3 had some mid-cycle updates at least in the NA markets, interior changes, electronic parking brake, g-vector, improved noise isolation, suspension damping changes.
Yep my 2017 had those updates, and it was a pretty big refresh. I wonder what's in store for the 2022 Mazda3.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree that all of the 3's will likely get these upgrades, but I wonder when? They don't like to make upgrades mid-year during a model year, so maybe the suspension updates will happen for model year 2022?
Model years are purely a North American marketing tool, the parts will be introduced into the production lines when the existing parts stocks run down and the new parts are available.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Model years are purely a North American marketing tool, the parts will be introduced into the production lines when the existing parts stocks run down and the new parts are available.
Not usually -- automakers need to keep part numbers consistent within a model year to avoid confusion when replacing parts after a crash or when doing repairs; I worked at a Ford dealer in college and that was how Ford did it - part numbers were consistent within a year, but they could make running changes if there was a defect at the factory that was causing warranty claims. Mazda is similar; notice that only the 2021 model CX-5 and CX-9 got the new Mazda Connect infotainment system; as the new Carbon Package is only offered on 2021 models.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My guess is it gets a retuned suspension, maybe a little more sound deadening, possibility an option for ventilated seats and heated steering wheel option. Hoping for torque vectoring AWD which comes in the Turbo model as well as a slightly larger screen. Maybe 8.8 inches to a 10 or 11 inch version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My speculation is it gets a retuned suspension, perhaps somewhat more stable stifling, plausibility a possibility for ventilated seats and Tutuapp 9apps Showbox warmed directing wheel choice. Seeking after force vectoring AWD which comes in the Turbo model just as a marginally bigger screen. Possibly 8.8 crawls to a 10 or 11 inch adaptation.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not going to happen, that would require a major redesign of the vehicle, these changes will be spring rates and /or changes to the bushings.
yes, in the new 3turbo par exemple "to compensate for the extra weight of the engine, spring rates have gone up by 15% and the dampers are slightly stiffer. A stiffer front knuckle for more direct steering response is also employed."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts