2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as I bought a Skyactive X - 180hp, i'm wondering whats the max we can get from our new enginge.
(I work as a Graphics-Designer and I'm not a car mechanic - or a programmer.)

I was wondering, if there's any potential in "software-tuning" the car?
I know the 180hp AWD is supercharged, so if you change the value of the charger, do you get a better performance?
Has anybody experience with this kind of "tuning"?

What are you guys puting into your engine to get the most out of it?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
. There are very few SA-X cars in private hands as they have only very recently started delivery of them. Nobody I have heard of has had one to try tuning, and certainly no real tuners.
The SA-X is not supercharged. It has a small Roots type compressor to aid in the SCCI combustion process, but it has nothing to do with forced induction. Using it for forced induction might cause the engine not to work at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath. Most tuners don't bother with N/A cars, let alone bespoke engines from a company like Mazda.
Really????
Thats just not true at all. There are a number of tuners who do Mazdas, just not many that do the ECU used in the Mazda 3.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your answers!
I guess, time will show what‘s the true power of the SA-X.

Thx

·
Registered
295 Posts
warranty? we don't need no stinkin' warranty!

(I hope there are enough SkyActiv X's sold in Europe so I can see how the engine longevity is before my lease ends in three years...)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,119 Posts
I wouldn't mess around with the Skyactiv-X engine yet. There's a lot going on under the hood and it's a new technology. Maybe with some time, tuning maybe an option, but hard to say.

Also, my 2.5L N/A engine is OV Tuned. Rev and speed limiters increased. Throttle response has been remapped and my camshaft timing has been adjusted. Changed the whole driving dynamic of this car.
CK

Reactions: zeeper25

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm a little confused here. As I understand the purpose of the SkyActiv-X engine, it is to provide a substantial increase in fuel economy over a conventional gasoline engine. Therefore, wouldn't someone who purchases a vehicle with this engine be predominately concerned with fuel efficiency? That being the case, why would the purchaser be interested in increased BHP output when such a quest invariably leads to greater fuel consumption?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
I'm a little confused here. As I understand the purpose of the SkyActiv-X engine, it is to provide a substantial increase in fuel economy over a conventional gasoline engine. Therefore, wouldn't someone who purchases a vehicle with this engine be predominately concerned with fuel efficiency? That being the case, why would the purchaser be interested in increased BHP output when such a quest invariably leads to greater fuel consumption?
people want - to give their ride a little extra personality

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
people want - to give their ride a little extra personality
exactly, i software-tunes my BMW and got more horsepower + less fuel consumption.
i am a very creative mind and i love to make things "special" by giving them my personal touch.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Early reviews of the Skyactiv-X state that the torque of a diesel engine is not there. In Europe, now Mazda mainly sells the 2.0L with 122HP, the previous 2.0L 165hp is mostly not for sale there but available in other markets, so the logical upgrade for European buyers would be the 180hp Skyactiv-X if you want better performance and slightly better fuel economy than the 2.0L 122HP.

In Israel there are no plans to bring the Skyactiv-X at the moment and instead they are selling the new Mazda 3 with the same 2.0L engine 165HP (same engine as the detuned 2.0L in Europe).

Mazda took a big gamble with the Skyactiv-X and as far as I'm concerned I would wait 2-3 years for tuners to explore the potential of the Skyactiv-X.

In the other hand, it would be interesting to see if the Skyactiv-X engine will ever arrive to the USA and under what specs, since basically the 2.5L NA outperforms the Skyactiv-X, more likely that's not gonna happen and most chances are that they might add either a 2.0L/ 2.5L Turbo to the lineup.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Based on the current offerings in the US, a 2.0L turbo makes sense.

The TCR Mazda 3 has a 2.0L turbo too, so it would make sense if they offer that for the Gen 4.

I'm just curious on what drive platform and transmission they will use with it. The AWD version would benefit the most from it, due to it's added weight. Will they offer it with a manual transmission though? Will the FWD get a turbo with a manual transmission?

The last Mazda to get a manual transmission and AWD was the turbo charged Mazdaspeed 6 in 2007. Last turbo charged FWD was the 2013 Mazdaspeed 3.

I think it's time they brought it back.
CK

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wouldn't mess around with the Skyactiv-X engine yet. There's a lot going on under the hood and it's a new technology. Maybe with some time, tuning maybe an option, but hard to say.

Also, my 2.5L N/A engine is OV Tuned. Rev and speed limiters increased. Throttle response has been remapped and my camshaft timing has been adjusted. Changed the whole driving dynamic of this car.
CK
Just wondering if you could share the specific changes in driving dynamics? What happens to warranty? MPG? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
More low end torque and faster throttle response, which leads to more quickness.

MPG goes up slightly as the car is tuned for a specific octane.

Warranty is not impacted, unless they can prove that it caused the damage in question.
CK

Reactions: Dinooh

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More low end torque and faster throttle response, which leads to more quickness.

MPG goes up slightly as the car is tuned for a specific octane.

Warranty is not impacted, unless they can prove that it caused the damage in question.
CK
Sounds cool, i guess i'll wait a bit and see what tuning the big brands will develope.
thank you!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Changing the factory tune will only impact the warranty if you have an engine related problem, which is probably less likely on a non-turbo engine (I imagine the 2.5G engines are pretty robust, they have been around the block for a while).

SkyActiv X is another thing entirely, I would wager you are taking a huge risk already thinking about modifying the SkyActiv X engine (unless you don't care about your warranty).

If you were to have a spun bearing or some other internal engine issue (whether you consider it related or not related to your engine tinkering) and Mazda sees you refreshed the ECM in your brand spanking new SkyActiv X engine I would imagine they would deny your engine repair as covered under the factory warranty.

Warranty denials after modding an engine are not uncommon among other brands people love to tune, for example, WRX's...go to NASIOC, there are years of 'pay to play' fiascos documented.

·
Registered
90 Posts

CK
How technically difficult is the OV Tuning process? Is it "plug-n-play" or are we talking about connecting a laptop and downloading software and doing multiple ECU updates in an iterative process? Also, what does it cost?

·
Registered
452 Posts
How technically difficult is the OV Tuning process? Is it "plug-n-play" or are we talking about connecting a laptop and downloading software and doing multiple ECU updates in an iterative process? Also, what does it cost?
In the time you took to post this, you could have looked at their website.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
In the time you took to post this, you could have looked at their website.
Except there is no website, not any more.....
The tune is a bit more than $500...
Its not plug-and-play. You do need to do the software set-up for the MazdaEdit and the Tactrix port first. Then you need to do an ECU dump, set up the data logging parameters and do the initial data logging, then send everything to Rafael. Rafael then tweaks the file, which is sent back to you as your first tune file. You download the file from your email to your laptop, then reflash the ECU with the new file. Then run the car a bit, do another set of data logs, send them in and the process is repeated until the tune is complete. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 updates to get it done.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Except there is no website, not any more.....
The tune is a bit more than $500...
Its not plug-and-play. You do need to do the software set-up for the MazdaEdit and the Tactrix port first. Then you need to do an ECU dump, set up the data logging parameters and do the initial data logging, then send everything to Rafael. Rafael then tweaks the file, which is sent back to you as your first tune file. You download the file from your email to your laptop, then reflash the ECU with the new file. Then run the car a bit, do another set of data logs, send them in and the process is repeated until the tune is complete. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 updates to get it done.
I was thinking of this, epifanSoftware | mazdaEdit | Video tutorials not OVT.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts