2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 3rd gen Mazda 3's are pretty peppy cars, good throttle response, but a little latent on gaining acceleration. They are fun to drive, but i feel like they would be perfect with a little more power. I understand that swapping motors requires a ton of money, buying parts to retrofit the motor, and an incredibly long installation period. Since turbo charging our current skyactive engine is pretty much impossible, engine swapping our cars probably seems like the best way to gain some power. Im curious what you guys have to say about this? I have no knowledge about how these things work, and in no way am i an expert. But just theorizing if we were to pull this off, what would be need to have done to make it work? Lets have some fun on this topic ^^^

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
Since turbo charging our current skyactive engine is pretty much impossible, engine swapping our cars probably seems like the best way to gain some power.
Where did you hear that??:dunno:
There are several options for power upgrades available, including turbocharging. An engine swap would be fairly expensive as you would need not only the motor but transmission, all the various bit and pieces, an engine management system and any other electronics. Then there is getting the engine to fit in the car, not to mention getting it to work. Forced induction would be cheaper and easier. Quite a few SkyActiv cars have had FI kits installed. As the kits become more common and easier to install you will see them more often I think.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Thats news to me, but i thought the skyactive engine was difficult to turbo because of its high compression ratio? Also i couldnt find turbo kits for the mazda 3 anywhere lol. Thats what lead me to think that it was impossible. But thanks for clearing that up! Where can i find a turbo kit?

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
BBR, Turbosuorce, Edelbrock and a couple others are either producing FI kits for SkyActiv motors or are developing them for the near future. Right now the main focus is on the 4th generation MX5. Since the 3 has the same 2.0 motor, it will not be a huge jump to install one of these FI kits. The biggest issue is the cost, several thousand dollars for a good installation. Is 250 hp worth that to you? How much power do you think a FWD car can handle and still be stable under full power acceleration?:surprise:

Edelbrock supercharged 2.0 SkyActiv ND

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh thats super cool! I didnt expect any company had made this possible yet, but ill definitely be saving for a turbo kit. But just out of curiosity, how do the people who install these kits compensate for the 13:1 compression ratio in the 2.0 engine?

·
Registered
431 Posts
BBR, Turbosuorce, Edelbrock and a couple others are either producing FI kits for SkyActiv motors or are developing them for the near future. Right now the main focus is on the 4th generation MX5. Since the 3 has the same 2.0 motor, it will not be a huge jump to install one of these FI kits. The biggest issue is the cost, several thousand dollars for a good installation. Is 250 hp worth that to you? How much power do you think a FWD car can handle and still be stable under full power acceleration?:surprise:
How much of a MX5 kit could be used considering it is rear wheel drive ?

Would need new turbo exhaust
Intercooer piping
inlet piping
etc etc etc

And then there's the issue of camshafts, or a custom tune.

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
How much of a MX5 kit could be used considering it is rear wheel drive ?

Would need new turbo exhaust
Intercooer piping
inlet piping
etc etc etc

And then there's the issue of camshafts, or a custom tune.
And that would be the reason for the multi thousand dollar price tag.
You would need a stand alone or at least a seriously tweaked ECU to run it.
Again, is it worth it? Can the FWD chassis handle it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
And that would be the reason for the multi thousand dollar price tag.
You would need a stand alone or at least a seriously tweaked ECU to run it.
Again, is it worth it? Can the FWD chassis handle it?
So in essence it would be a waste of money to buy an MX5 kit then, might as well start from scratch.

Can the chassis handle it, there is a building happening out here with a target of 400hp at the wheels so hopefully we will know the answer to that question soon !!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Really? Thats news to me, but i thought the skyactive engine was difficult to turbo because of its high compression ratio? Also i couldnt find turbo kits for the mazda 3 anywhere lol. Thats what lead me to think that it was impossible. But thanks for clearing that up! Where can i find a turbo kit?
I understood that to be the limitation as well (compression ratio).

It would be easier to lighten up your car. Weight is the biggest factor.

I would love to throw on a Turbo, but i have yet to find anything, let alone i still don't think its possible on the 2.5L's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If we were to replace the engine block with something more durable, could we in theory be able to add a turbo to the skyactive engine?

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is an interesting academic discussion, but if you want more HP, it's easier and cheaper to buy a different car with more HP.

Of course there are probably those out there with disposable money and time. It looks like there's enough room for a LSx. All you need to do is fab some mounts (for the engine, transmission and diff) and then fab up a new suspension to handle the HP.

Easy peasy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose getting another car with more power is cheaper, but i kinda wish mazda didnt kill the plans for a 3rd gen speed 3. My goal one day is to replicate the speed 3 with my current mazda lol, though money and time will be the biggest restraint.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I suppose getting another car with more power is cheaper, but i kinda wish mazda didnt kill the plans for a 3rd gen speed 3. My goal one day is to replicate the speed 3 with my current mazda lol, though money and time will be the biggest restraint.
Its just one of those cars that are just not good candidates for performance mods. Mazda squeezed everything they could out of it and did it with great MPG.

Only option is to make the car lighter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Its just one of those cars that are just not good candidates for performance mods. Mazda squeezed everything they could out of it and did it with great MPG.

Only option is to make the car lighter.
Lightening is not the only option but more power costs money and I do not think anyone looking for more power cares about "great MPG".

·
Registered
95 Posts
OVtuned/orange virus tuning has cams for both the 2.0 and 2.5 they have some achieved some great results on both as well. I have a tune on my 2.5L with weapon-R intake pulls much harder waiting for an exhaust re-tune than a dyno I will be posting a build thread in the near future with results all mods video etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lightening is not the only option but more power costs money and I do not think anyone looking for more power cares about "great MPG".
I guess it depends on what you mean by "more power". My point about the MPG is the car was pushed to its limits to achieve power and MPG. There isn't much you can do to get big power gains.

I have yet to see anyone mod this car to increase power by 70hp+. Of course you can completely gut everything in the car to achieve more power, but then just buy a car with more power.

·
Liberty Automotive
3 Posts
You definitely can do a turbo on the skyactiv, but it would require rebuilding the engine with new rods to lower the effective compression ratio. Along with that you would need a completely new engine management system to control fuel input. All Mazda 3 2.0's, 2.3's, and 2.5's share nearly identical blocks so you could just swap in the A26M-R from the Mazdaspeed to have adequate strength as far as the transmission goes.

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
You definitely can do a turbo on the skyactiv, but it would require rebuilding the engine with new rods to lower the effective compression ratio. Along with that you would need a completely new engine management system to control fuel input. All Mazda 3 2.0's, 2.3's, and 2.5's share nearly identical blocks so you could just swap in the A26M-R from the Mazdaspeed to have adequate strength as far as the transmission goes.
Don't know where you get all this from but its wrong on all counts.
You don't need to rebuild anything in the SkyActiv to install a turbo. It is already being done successfully with zero engine modifications. You don't need a new ECU, all you need is a tune to run the new turbo set up. Again, already a proven install. The SkyActiv motors being discussed here have nothing in common with the earlier 2.0, 2.3 or 2.5 motors. Neither do the 2.0 and 2.5 SA motors share any parts between them save few small fasteners and such.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts