2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GX model (Canada), I think it's the SV-i in US, 2.0L manual transmission.
That base model doesnt have a tachometer, so I shift by the engine sound.. It works well but it constantly bugs me not to know at what RPM Im shifting during spirited driving / acceleration..

Can somebody tell me at what engine speed (KMH or MPH, I dont care) the redline (6500RPM) for heach speed is ?

i.e. First gear redlines @ 30mph, Second gear @ 40, etc..

Im looking to buy a OBD2 tachometer in the future but in the meantime I would apreciate this information !

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is this device you just plug it in th ODB2 port and Bluetooth it to your phone. Then download this app and it will give you your rpm (tachometer). Very cheap option

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a GX model (Canada), I think it's the SV-i in US, 2.0L manual transmission.
That base model doesnt have a tachometer, so I shift by the engine sound.. It works well but it constantly bugs me not to know at what RPM Im shifting during spirited driving / acceleration..

Can somebody tell me at what engine speed (KMH or MPH, I dont care) the redline (6500RPM) for heach speed is ?

Im looking to buy a OBD2 tachometer in the future but in the meantime I would apreciate this information !

Thanks
I'm somewhat surprised to hear that a manual car has no tach...regardless of trim level.

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know about the bluetooth OBD2 adapter but I prefer waiting for a more "permanent" solution.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Thanks
I got this obd2 hud from aliexpress. It's fun to use. I only use it at night though b/c I tossed the little screen so it's basically useless until dusk. I think some of them can be set to beep when you need to shift too. Similar to this (Actually this one is a lot cheaper than prices were when I got mine) ifound Updated 2nd Gen ActiSafety Multi Car HUD Vehicle mounted Head Up Display System OBD II Universal Overspeed Warning-in Alarm Systems & Security from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

·
Registered
752 Posts
If i were going to rely on one for a tach I would definitely go wired. the wireless adapters + app on a tablet or phone have a bit of a lagg.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
That's the cheapest, base model way of cutting the cost.

I did a few pulls on the way to dinner and got these numbers.

1st gear @ 4,500rpm = 25mph - @ 6,500rpm = 35mph
2nd gear @ 4,500rpm = 42mph - @ 6,500rpm = 62mph
3rd gear @ 4,500rpm = 65mph - @ 6,500rpm = 95mph
4th gear @ 6,000rpm = 110mph

At that point I was coming up on traffic rather quickly and had to cut the fun short of redline.

Bouncing off the rev limiter = win.

I just realized that I've yet to top out the MZ3... Does anyone know what the speed limiter is at?

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the cheapest, base model way of cutting the cost.

I did a few pulls on the way to dinner and got these numbers.

1st gear @ 4,500rpm = 25mph - @ 6,500rpm = 35mph
2nd gear @ 4,500rpm = 42mph - @ 6,500rpm = 62mph
3rd gear @ 4,500rpm = 65mph - @ 6,500rpm = 95mph
4th gear @ 6,000rpm = 110mph

At that point I was coming up on traffic rather quickly and had to cut the fun short of redline.

Bouncing off the rev limiter = win.

I just realized that I've yet to top out the MZ3... Does anyone know what the speed limiter is at?
Thanks for these numbers !

Im thinking of buying this:

OBD II Speedometer/ Tachometer Interface

With this I could install any tach I want without splicing or cuting any wires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Using Scan Gauge to Monitor rpm, etc

I use a Scan Gauge to monitor rpm, coolant temp, mph and air inlet temp. Plugs into OBD port.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts