2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started getting a strange noise the last few days, it only happens around 35 to 45 MPH.

It happens exactly when I hit the peddle, and it sounds like a loose washer ratteling around, or coffee beans grinding.

I uploaded a video on YouTube, the background noise makes it hard to hear but it's still audible:
Noise From Engine - 2014 Mazda 3

Like I said, I have the 2014 s Touring Hatch 2.5 liter - it's in sport mode in the video, and I think that may have something to do with it, I'm pretty sure it's sitting in third gear, but sport mode keeps it from shifting intentionally.

A little after 1:07 the noise can be heard constantly, it is quiet, and might be hard to hear under the rest of the noise in the car.

Sounds like rattling, or like a loose washer, and usually heard when the gas peddle is pressed down.

From 0:35 to 0:40 I rev the engine a few times and you can hear the noise sharply.

I haven't modified my engine at all, so I'm definitly gonna take it to get looked at, I've only got 14k miles on it....

Anyone have any idea what it might be??

(also, I would embed the video but I don't know how? anyone know?)

EDIT: Another Video - Easier to Hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSactDxTI9g

This video might be easier to hear....

The noise happens as I pump the gas peddle, I push the peddle about every second, and the clicking happens almost each time....

EDIT: Another Video - LOOPED NOISE - got rid of white noise a little

Here is yet ANOTHER video....

I edited out some of the white noise and increased the volume of the problem noise, it is LOOPED, the clip is like 3 seconds but I looped it over and over....

In the clip, I pump the gas peddle 3 times, and you can hear the noise each time I press it. This repeats over and over so you can hear it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlu12pJ_BUw

After you hear it in this video, try going back to the second video, you may be able to distinguish the sound more easily....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hard to hear the noise. I listened with the speakers up and couldn't hear it, I will try listening on a different computer...

Usually a rattle has something to do with a loose exhaust.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to hear the noise. I listened with the speakers up and couldn't hear it, I will try listening on a different computer...

yea, it is pretty quite, I cut noise out with an audo program but it's still really quite, it's easier when you know what ur listening for....

At exactly 37 seconds in the vid, I rev my engine and the noise happens when I rev it....

Did some digging on my own, found something about transmission bearings breaking and the advantage of switching to roller bearings:

How they break:

I don't race my car, but I do bring it to 5000 rpm more often than I should....

Those broken bearings in that pic look like something that might make the noise im hearing.... but I dunno... I don't think I've been having trouble shifting.... :001_huh 1:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Also, it DOES NOT happen when I rev my engine while parked... which is why I don't really think it's the exhaust.... but maybe there's other factors....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Those broken bearings in that pic look like something that might make the noise im hearing.... but I dunno... I don't think I've been having trouble shifting.... :001_huh 1:
I really doubt it because you would notice a failing transmission. I think it's next to impossible to hear a roller bearing inside of a transmission case. I haven't heard of any Mazda3 SkyActiv transmissions failing on the 2014's

It's easy to become a hypochondriac to car noises. I would take it in to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really doubt it because you would notice a failing transmission. I think it's next to impossible to hear a roller bearing inside of a transmission case. I haven't heard of any Mazda3 SkyActiv transmissions failing on the 2014's

It's easy to become a hypochondriac to car noises. I would take it in to the dealer and see what they say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSactDxTI9g

This video might be easier to hear....

The noise happens as I pump the gas peddle, I push the peddle about every second, and the clicking happens almost each time....

·
Registered
184 Posts
something about transmission bearings breaking and the advantage of switching to roller bearings:

How they break:

I don't race my car, but I do bring it to 5000 rpm more often than I should....

A few points about this:
1. That description about the wandering input shaft and synchro issues is for a manual. We have an auto transmission. Yes, autos still have an input shaft, but that description was really all about autos. That's kinda moot anyway because...
2. Well designed gearboxes have thrust bearings (plain or needle) to account for axial loads imparted by helical gearing. When I was going over the schematic of our Skyactive 6AT, I seem to recall it having needle rollers for all thrust surfaces. I think it also had tapered roller bearings but not sure. (Edit - It has needle roller thrust bearings and tapered rollers everywhere that matters except the primary gear bearing that uses an angular contact ball bearing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_bearing#Angular_contact)
3. Doing a quick 'swap' from plain ball races to tapered roller bearings would be a less-than-trivial task. Once you introduce tapered bearings, the fitment tolerances become very important so you will need to shim the bearings in a box that was probably designed for thust bearings and not shimming. (As such, i'm curious what the source of your info is. I'm curious now to read the whole thing for more context).
4. It's highly unlikely that anything like this has failed, and if it has, like Lbear said, it's unlikely you'd hear it. Not saying it's impossible.

I haven't heard of any Mazda3 SkyActiv transmissions failing on the 2014's
Well there is mine, and I have heard of at least one other. Although I seem to recall that was to get rid of a noise and that changing the transmission did not get rid of the noise, lol. Mine was a proper failure though (Failure mode as of yet unknown).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Found it:
Input Shaft Upgrade ? Jacks Transmissions

That was a very specific upgrade for a very specific gearbox (that had a very specific weakness). The upgrade was custom made to fit that box. It's not a generalised issue. I don't know the cause of the issue, but I guess the thrust washer wasn't up to par, or there was a design oversight.

Funny coming from Mitsubishi too as don't they have the lifetime drivetrain warranties?

Edit: Oh and I couldn't hear the sound in any of your vids. Sorry...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Found it:
Input Shaft Upgrade ? Jacks Transmissions

That was a very specific upgrade for a very specific gearbox (that had a very specific weakness). The upgrade was custom made to fit that box. It's not a generalised issue. I don't know the cause of the issue, but I guess the thrust washer wasn't up to par, or there was a design oversight.

Funny coming from Mitsubishi too as don't they have the lifetime drivetrain warranties?

Edit: Oh and I couldn't hear the sound in any of your vids. Sorry...
Well thats good to know about the transmission... lol I was just searching "engine noise" on google for potential things, to see if there were noises that sounded like mine....

I'm just paranoid about my transmission because I busted 3 transmissions on my Ford Focus 2005 and a 2007, the 2005 was in warranty, the 2007 wasn't so I got a refurbished one and that died too.... :taz:

But Here is yet ANOTHER video....

I edited out some of the white noise and increased the volume of the problem noise, it is LOOPED, the clip is like 3 seconds but I looped it over and over....

In the clip, I pump the gas peddle 3 times, and you can hear the noise each time I press it. This repeats over and over so you can hear it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlu12pJ_BUw

After you hear it in this video, try going back to the second video, you may be able to distinguish the sound more easily....

Thanks for the help!!! :detective: :cool 1:

EDIT: note that since I used an Equalizer to get rid of some of the other background noise, the audio might sound distorted, but the sound is still pretty much the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts