2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2006 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.3 has been sitting for the last few months due to what I thought was rod knock at low rpm's. I finally pulled the oil pan to investigate and sure enough #4 rod bearing was barely there, #1 was coming apart from the inside. I replaced all the bearings and put everything back together, put fresh synthetic blend oil and new filter. I started it up and it ran smooth and sounded nice until I gas it a little gas and heard the same knock at low rpm.

I have no idea where to go from there other than swapping out the whole engine for a fusion 2.5 but I need my car now, does anyone know what it could be ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it sound more like top of the motor or bottom? Also when you replaced bearings did you upgrade to oversize bearings due to the last bearings wearing down on the crank journal.....a wasted bearing has a major impact on the crank itself so you could possibly still have play in the bottom. Get a feeler gage and measure the space between the bearing and the crank

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with standard sized bearings after discovering what I thought was the obvious problem. #4 rod I could move significantly with hand and because of that I did not check the crank. This was only suppose to be a patch job until I got my 2.5 fusion swap. I was trying to be cheap and not really get into the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts