2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im having a little issue with my 06 Mazda 3, 2.0L 136,000 miles. I just changed the oil, spark plugs, coolant.

For some reason, when the engine is cold. The car starts up great. Idles fine. Drive 1 block down the road to the stop sign. The engine goes down to idle 800 rpm then down to 500 rpm back to 800 rpm and then 500 rpm then it dies.

After it warms up it runs like a champ. No issues.

My first thought would be a o2 sensor.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on how long car was running before you took off from driveway, its possible the battery is not up to snuff. It takes about 3 minutes or so for the alternator to kick in and start providing juice to the electronics, before that all the coils, sensors, heater, headlights etc are running on straight battery current. Did you replace coil packs when you tuned er up? or apply dialectric grease to inside of coil pack boots to spark plugs? That could be an issue also but ide check battery first.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
Hey guys,

Im having a little issue with my 06 Mazda 3, 2.0L 136,000 miles. I just changed the oil, spark plugs, coolant.

For some reason, when the engine is cold. The car starts up great. Idles fine. Drive 1 block down the road to the stop sign. The engine goes down to idle 800 rpm then down to 500 rpm back to 800 rpm and then 500 rpm then it dies.

After it warms up it runs like a champ. No issues.

My first thought would be a o2 sensor.

What are your thoughts?
coolant temp sensor.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts