2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Not sure if i'm posting in the right area, but i've got a question about engine idle vibration on my 2015 MZ3 SGT 2.5, 6spd manual. I just purchased it from a private seller, it has 32k miles on it. No accidents, all service history and 30k service was done at dealership. I noticed at idle after the engine warms up i can feel a slight vibration in the cabin of the car, and when i pop open the hood it looks like the engine is vibrating slightly. Not sure if that is normal, do any of your engines do this? When i give it a tiny bit of gas in neutral to up the RPMs to about 900, the vibration goes away. Then, when i engage the clutch in first gear from stand still, i hear a slight thudding noise from somewhere in the engine bay. It's not the usual not enough gas, engine about to stall type of noise. It sounds like a muted metal on metal noise. Does anybody else's do this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure how to edit the original post, but, my guess either this is normal or one of the engine/transmission mounts are shot? I was only able to locate one engine mount on the passenger side of the car and it did not look damaged or worn out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's not normal. I have the same car (2015 3SGT manual hatch) and it's very smooth at idle. Definitely no "thud." It could definitely be a damaged engine mount. Corksport has some images on their website of the location of the lower mount. Look here: https://corksport.com/mazda-3-rear-motor-mount.html

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that you purchase an aftermarket mount. In fact, to keep things smooth, you should probably stick with the OEM. It's just the quickest place to find a picture so you can see where to find yours.

Good luck. I hope it's something simple. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the thud noises are only when im engaging the clutch in first gear from a standstill. There is no such noise when going in reverse by the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts