2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I have a 2014 Mazda 3 GT Tech (2.5L, auto).
I've been hearing a weird growling noise when accelerating. To reproduce you need to do the following.
1) Accelerate up to at least 60KM/hour+ so the transmission goes into 6th gear
2) Once in 6th gear, accelerate, but slightly to prevent the transmission from knocking down to 5th (I think it's called engine strain)...but anyway..

The outcome? Sounds like its going GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR LOL, honestly, I have no idea how to explain it.

It's only started to happen (cold or hot) makes no difference.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Sounds like it's just struggling to accelerate in a higher gear, very normal noise. Happens in a manual if you shift up too early and try to accelerate.

From what you describe, you're holding the 6th gear right on the edge of where it needs to shift. The result is the engine is trying to put out power at a lower RPM and you get the growl.

If the auto is geared anywhere close to the manual, I can confirm that 60km/h is the absolute minimum that you can engage 6th gear. If you're just cruising at 60, it's fine. Try to accelerate and the engine doesn't handle it so well.

Bottom line: stop trying to actively keep it in 6th at that low speed when you want to accelerate. You're just screwing with the transmission logic for no good reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
zero_gravity - the car is automatic not manual. Happens even in lower gears.

gregersonke - I have never tried it in neutral. I will give it a shot. If it does - what does that mean?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you take the time to read my response, you'd quickly realize that I'm well aware of this fact and only comparing to a manual to simplify what is happening.

Unless you have something else to add, the problem is that your trans is in too high a gear for your speed when you demand power by pressing the accelerator.

If you're not holding it right on the edge of when it needs to shift, the trans is not shifting when it should. If they put a button for eco mode or sport mode, turn off the eco mode if it is on. I honestly don't know if it is there or not.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

gregersonke - I have never tried it in neutral. I will give it a shot. If it does - what does that mean?

If it does it with the a/c on and not with the a/c off. Open up your hood, and look for the Hydraulic tensioner on the belt. It's down the middle of the engine, if it's covered in dirt you need new belts and a new tensioner. If it's still clean then it's likely just the growl of the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts