2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a 2021 Mazda 3 AWD non turbo. Since I got it in July 2021 the engine has suddenly died while I’m stopped at a red light 3 times.

I’ll come off the brake to go on the gas and the revs go to zero, engine off, battery light comes on in dash and all interior electronics remain on. It even rolls backwards if I’m on a hill. I have to put it back in park and press start button and then I can go again

Has anyone heard of this happening? First time it happened the transmission was replaced. Second time they replaced an oil pressure sensor and it’s currently at the dealer again and I’m awaiting news of what’s wrong this time

I have heard of a recall in 2020 with i Stop models but my car does not have auto start stop function

Any advice or feed back is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,703 Posts
That's a new one.. they replaced the transmission the first time? The car is supposed to increase RPM a little when releasing the brake pedal.. not sure why the engine would just stall though.
CK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a new one.. they replaced the transmission the first time? The car is supposed to increase RPM a little when releasing the brake pedal.. not sure why the engine would just stall though.
CK

I notice the revs drop quite low, around 500rpm, when at a light or when brake is depressed when in drive. When brake is eased up a bit the rpm does increase a bit and starts to inch forward. I assumed its some form of fuel savings when the car is at a stop for a long period of time

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
I totally agree, but sadly in Canada we have no lemon laws and it'll be quite the battle. And it is a lease, which I know is a mistake and will not be doing again. Definitely regretting not going with my first choice Toyota
Pay no attention to the trolls who only come here to bash Mazda cars....Might be something related to prior work, let the dealer sort it out.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I notice the revs drop quite low, around 500rpm, when at a light or when brake is depressed when in drive. When brake is eased up a bit the rpm does increase a bit and starts to inch forward. I assumed its some form of fuel savings when the car is at a stop for a long period of time
What does it rev at in Park once the engine is warmed up?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I totally agree, but sadly in Canada we have no lemon laws and it'll be quite the battle. And it is a lease, which I know is a mistake and will not be doing again. Definitely regretting not going with my first choice Toyota
I had some issues with my 2014 the first year I had it, and it's been mostly trouble free since with 250k on it and still going strong with original transmission fluid and front brakes even. Lol.

Anyways, the issue actually sounds like it's intake related. Either to the Mass airflow or there is a leak on the intake itself, or there is a vacuum line with a hole somewhere. I have no idea how they got transmission from that kind of symptom. Open up a ticket with Mazda corporate to get a higher level tech on the line with the dealer.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sounds like there may be a vacuum leak somewhere.
I agree with this, either something on the intake or in a vacuum line. when you go to press the gas, it should detect the increase in air from MAF, increase the fuel and rev the rpms. If air is bypassing the MAF then it would go too lean and cut out. If it's high idling, then it's already running lean which indicates a leak somewhere past the MAF.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry for your poor experience. If it can be resolved quickly (sounds like it can) then it would probably not deter me from what is ultimately a very reliable brand, but that is your decision. Regardless, it is weird and should be fixed for you with no pushback from Mazda!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sorry for your poor experience. If it can be resolved quickly (sounds like it can) then it would probably not deter me from what is ultimately a very reliable brand, but that is your decision. Regardless, it is weird and should be fixed for you with no pushback from Mazda!
I had a number of problems in the first 30k of ownership that turned into Mazda giving me a free body kit for my troubles and a reliable car. I had it all documented, with names, case numbers, dates/times, rental cars, mileage lost on taxes etc. as they kept missing deadlines I started posting my full experience on social media platforms review platforms etc. I only had to consult a lawyer once who basically told me social pressure was better than legal and continue my path and be accurate with all statements. Seriously, it works, as no company wants someone out there posting those kind of stories. The big thing though when you post the story, don't call out people by names, keep emotion out of the story unless you create a separate section for how it's making you feel. But in relation to the case keep it just the facts and what it's costing you. Then be ready to ask for what you want out of it all. My option to Mazda was a new motor or a body kit at the end. I knew that a body kit was going to be the cheaper scenario in this case and that's what they did. I already had a 125k warranty so they couldn't give me anything there.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3 Hatchback
72 Posts
Nah, see you guys ...the way yall react to DOAs or Lemons....You act like it reflects on the manufactirur
Please, you remind me of the guys who leave 1 star reviews cos a motherboard shows up DOA and then they proceed to say DONT buy this! You act like what happened to you reflects on Mazda. It happens to everyone.
CHeck out what a quick google search of "new toyota engine stall" came up with lolz

Toyota is adding 1.5 million U.S. vehicles to recalls from early this year to fix fuel pumps that can fail and cause engines to stall.
The company says the latest recall brings the total to 5.8 million Toyota and Lexus brand vehicles that need to be repaired worldwide.

I like this part: If the stall happens at high speeds, the risk of a crash could increase. Toyota wouldn't say if the problem has caused any crashes or injuries.
But wait, there's more!
The company said that it didn't recall all the vehicles at once because it was monitoring data and investigating to see if vehicles outside the scope of the original recalls would experience the same problem.

So their customers were unkowning guinea pigs whos lives were at risk on the hwy and Toyota let em do it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've heard a few people say theirs FEELS like it's going to stall when they let off the brakes but not actually stall. I have a 2019 2.5l (japan) with 10K and I recently noticed this too. When I let off the brake at a light the rpms drop to a point where you feel a little bit of a shake, but it certainly does not stall.
I'm wondering if this is a problem that is just starting to come out of the closet.
I have not had any problems with my car which was manufactured in 12/2018. I did have the auto belt tensioner replaced when I saw the TSB but it wasn't a recall.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,703 Posts
Nah, see you guys ...the way yall react to DOAs or Lemons....You act like it reflects on the manufactirur

Please, you remind me of the guys who leave 1 star reviews cos a motherboard shows up DOA and then they proceed to say DONT buy this! You act like what happened to you reflects on Mazda. It happens to everyone.
CHeck out what a quick google search of "new toyota engine stall" came up with lolz

Toyota is adding 1.5 million U.S. vehicles to recalls from early this year to fix fuel pumps that can fail and cause engines to stall.
The company says the latest recall brings the total to 5.8 million Toyota and Lexus brand vehicles that need to be repaired worldwide.

I like this part: If the stall happens at high speeds, the risk of a crash could increase. Toyota wouldn't say if the problem has caused any crashes or injuries.
But wait, there's more!
The company said that it didn't recall all the vehicles at once because it was monitoring data and investigating to see if vehicles outside the scope of the original recalls would experience the same problem.

So their customers were unkowning guinea pigs whos lives were at risk on the hwy and Toyota let em do it.
Mazda used the same Denso fuel pumps.. 2013 to 2020 IIRC.. Denso released a product defect announcement on certain mfg dates but didn't issue a recall, leaving it up to the car companies.

Denso then announced further earlier year defects, I think this happened twice after the initial one.

Mazda recalled certain 2018 models, 2019, and 2020. They are currently facing a class action lawsuit to include more models and years.

Toyota issued multiple recalls as information became available and has now gone back to 2013.

Mitsubishi and other Japanese manufacturers were impacted too, but not sure how they responded.
CK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts