2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I noticed a sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the car when I turn the key into the run position but before I start the car. It sounds like a small electric motor or pump engaging so I suppose it could be the fuel pump ...if the fuel pump is located in the back?

Anyways just sharing my experience, if I cant figure out the sound I will just stop by the dealer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-mazdaspeed-3-news-discussion/1829-noise-underneath-hood-after-shutting-off.html

just did a quick search to find that, there are other threads on similar subjects too, but was too lazy to link the others

i think its probably normal - i was excited the first time i heard it, i thought it was a factory turbo timer on my MS3 (pretty sure the mini-S i once drove had a TT built in) - alas, it is not, something else entirely - some sort of "self check" system running

hope that helps

congrats on the new car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I have only had the car for a week and still learning its clicks and what not.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
All cars do that if you listen closely...but you don't usually pause between on and run so you never really get to hear it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah, i know the electronics "waking up" make kind of a distinct sound - but ive noticed it on the MS3 after the engine has shut down... very subtle electronic hissing noise, sounds like its either inside the center stack, or in the engine - ive never really investigated it though

on the mini - it may have been something else, i thought, at the time, it was a little electric pump flushing oil through the turbo - but i may have been wrong, only drove the car about 20 miles - it was a friends loaner while his car was in the shop (they are a riot to drive by the way, only 170hp, but very light) <- great car fun-wise if size/utility is not a concern

anyway - i think its totally normal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts