2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone uses this part with Progress rsb (22 mm) for their setup? Thinking of upgrading the rsb for my 17 GT hatch but looking at the set up I really only want to do it once, not having to remove the brackets and regrease again later. See link for the part (greasable)

energysuspension.com | Sway Bar & End Link Bushings

By the way, if there is a link how to (especially how to remove the upper bracket nuts) please post. From what I read, flexible ratchet or 1/4 in med deep socket are recommended but I wonder if there is any more tips. What about lowering the rear subframe? Will that give more upper room for the tools? I will try to do this without removing any springs as some had done it.

Thx

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not really too bad with just the wheels off. But removing the springs will help, and since you need to disconnect the end links anyhow, there is only one more bolt to remove to get the spring out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it looks easy from the video but my experience with my previous 11 mz3 when changing the springs, somehow when I lifted the arm back up it didn't want to align properly to insert the bolt. I had a tough time putting it back up.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
You need to remove at least one spring to get the bar out. Its not hard, just take out the outer LCA bolt and lower it down. Reinstalling the bolt should be easy enough, you just have to take a bit of time to make sure its aligned properly. If the bolt won't go in, use a small bar or screwdriver to align one side, then tap the bolt in. It will line up once the bolt starts moving through.
The best way to access the bracket bolts is with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Lowering the rear subframe will make it much easier.
Did you get new end links? The factory end links are not strong enough to support a large rear sway bar and may at some point fail. You should upgrade the end links while you have it apart.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I probably have to remove the one spring. Planning on reuse stock end links as I did on my 11 with no problem for 3 yrs until I sold the car. Plus I am not tracking or lowerin the car at all. What about having to regrease the poly bushings? How often? On my 11 I used Teflon tape with grease and i never had to regrease in those 3 yrs. But at least it was easy if I had to. Any experience on the energysuspension bushing?

Oh, lowering the sub frame, do I just loosen up the 4 bolts on 4 corners until the whole thing lowered? I won't mess up the alignment or anything, right?

Thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts