2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on the Miata forum had the door lever break that gives access to the Miata's fuel-filler door release (in center console). We discovered that there is a little nib on the end of the door cable that one can get to with a finger from the trunk area in case this happens, or the cable breaks, etc.

So, I got to wondering what do we do on our 3s?

Looked in the trunk. There is no way of getting at the fuel-filler door release area without removing some of the interior trunk trim.

Anyone had the fuel-filler door release not work and found a way to get it open?

Ralph

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked it up in the service manual that I'd downloaded online.

You apparently have to remove the inside trunk trim, about 4 of those plastic push-in clips.

Then you can access the fuel-filler door release cable. It appears to be identical to the one on the Miata. There's a black nib that you can pull back on to release the fuel-filler door.

Ralph

·
Registered
198 Posts
With the ND Miata (2016+), there's no pesky interior fuel door release/cable system. Now, as long as the car is unlocked, you can just push on the fuel door to pop it open. This system will likely become standard across all new Mazda models, as they're launched. No more fishing for the release, or forgetting to pop it open.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the ND Miata (2016+), there's no pesky interior fuel door release/cable system. Now, as long as the car is unlocked, you can just push on the fuel door to pop it open. This system will likely become standard across all new Mazda models, as they're launched. No more fishing for the release, or forgetting to pop it open.
That would suck for those of us living in the alternate universe of New Jersey with it's mandatory full service gas stations. You'd have to unlock the whole car just to unlock the fuel door, then explain how to open it to the attendant.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You'd have to unlock the whole car just to unlock the fuel door, then explain how to open it to the attendant.

Not as bad as you imagine it, Linda. If you're in your car at the fuel pump, the fuel door will already be unlocked.

Many cars use this feature already. If your attendant seems perplexed, simply tell him/her to press the fuel door and it'll pop open.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Would love this. It's what we had for 25 years on our 1983 Benz. Unlock the driver's door and all the doors unlock, including the trunk and the fuel door. One could key lock the trunk to keep this from unlocking it.

I was absolutely pissed off when we got our Jetta TDI 7 years ago. One had to separately unlatch the trunk and the fuel door. Kept having to remember to get the key if I wanted to get into the trunk in the garage. On the Benz, I just went out and opened it.

You guys in NJ need to get your state representative to change the law. Only NJ and Hawaii have such a law. When we lived in NJ, I still filled my own tank.

Ralph

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not as bad as you imagine it, Linda. If you're in your car at the fuel pump, the fuel door will already be unlocked.

Many cars use this feature already. If your attendant seems perplexed, simply tell him/her to press the fuel door and it'll pop open.
That's the way it is with my other car. I'm in NJ also and I have yet to come across an attendant who didn't know to push in on the gas door to open it.

·
Registered
36 Posts

OK, thanks, good to know. One less thing to worry about :smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts