2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to use the emergency brake to avoid putting pressure on the transmission and engine while parking? Am I asking for trouble if I do this?

I understand that if the car sits too long that rust will lock the calipers to the rotors. Then it would be a problem of breaking free the calipers from the rotors.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I always use mine.

I don't know about rust locking the calipers to the rotors, but I suppose it's possible is your car is left in an area where it will be exposed to moisture for a very extended period of time (like maybe a year).

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
I always use mine. heard its bad for the car to rock back and forth since it's resting on a pin in the trans. I did hear that using it in winter could cause it to "freeze" in the lock position..

·
Registered
732 Posts
I always use it when parked on hills to keep pressure off of the pin in the tranny, but usually never use on flat ground.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I always use mine. heard its bad for the car to rock back and forth since it's resting on a pin in the trans. I did hear that using it in winter could cause it to "freeze" in the lock position..
I live in Alaska so I have experience with this. It freezes a little, but just enough that when you disengage the handbrake, and then try to back up, it gives you minor resistance and you might hear a thunk sound as the ice breaks free

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses.

I guess it would be alright to use the emergency brake if you plan to drive the car frequently so the calipers don't get a chance to lock onto the rotors.

However, I won't do it in the winter since ice and salt will probably cause the brakes to lock if the car is parked too long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts