2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, my 2017 Mazda 3 has that fancy new electronic Ebrake.........What if the battery dies? Is the Ebrake then locked until the vehicle can be boosted and/or battery removed and recharged? Or is there some other way of disengaging the electronic Ebrake? My fear is that some day my vehicle will be in a position that prevents the use of booster cables and if I cannot disengage the Ebrake I can't even push the vehicle into a position that would allow for booster cables. Leaving me to conclude I should be considering the purchase of a booster pack for any such situations.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sounds like something you could do a little experiment on if it's concerning enough to you.

put the transmission in neutral, apply the parking brake, turn the car off, disconnect the negative battery terminal, put your foot on the brake, push the e-brake button, release brake, see if it rolls. Then you'll have a definitive answer to your question

(just my 2 cents)

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like something you could do a little experiment on if it's concerning enough to you.

put the transmission in neutral, apply the parking brake, turn the car off, disconnect the negative battery terminal, put your foot on the brake, push the e-brake button, release brake, see if it rolls. Then you'll have a definitive answer to your question

(just my 2 cents)
lol im lazy, and also don't want to reset all my in-car settings. I figure someone on here has encountered it first hand and probably knows the answer.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have the manual transmission. I don't engage the e-brake when I park in my garage and I can push/pull the car since the e-brake stays off when I leave the car. If you do engage the e-brake and the battery dies for some reason then I believe the brake will be locked on since there is no energy left in the battery to operate the e-brake motor to turn off the brake.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First Note in the 2017 Manual under e-brake states that it won't engage / disengage without battery power...
Gary
Thank you, this means I need a booster pack in my garage, and possibly in my car too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, you pull up engage e brake accidentally leave interior light on battery runs flat, brake disengages, car rolls away?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, that's good, it can't be purely electronic then, it must have a mechanical ratchet thing going on to hold it in the event of power loss. I don't have it my car, it's pre 17.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The electric e-brake feature with its faults and favors is a good example of how the world has passed me by with all the "labor-saving" features that everyone else seems to love and demand.

I'm an old-school guy that actually likes a little "labor" mixed into my daily routine, so the "convenience" of all the new things such as the electric e-brake drives me nuts.

Another common example is the power windows. When the day comes that I can't use my arm to roll the window up-and-down, that's the day they need to lay my arm and the rest of me away for good.

Although power windows may seem to be a great thing to almost everyone, I look at them another way:

1. When they break, they are expensive to fix.

2. When you want to roll the window down in the dark, you've got to look and identify which of the array of switches it takes to do it.

3. If, heaven forbid, you find yourself run off into flood waters and the car is sinking and you can't open the door because of water pressure and you want to roll down the window to get out and you can't because the electrics have shorted and now you've got to smash the window or kick out the windshield which can be very difficult and tricky to do, it would be hard to remember why you wanted power windows in the first place.

Two of three vehicles I drive have manual windows: a '96 diesel F250 used for towing, and a '03 Jeep Wrangler used for off-road travel to go hunting. I love them. My family smirks at that idea.

My third vehicle, a '15 Mazda3, forced me to accept power windows in the deal...along with a key-less ignition fob that last week I had to install a fresh battery in and last year I pressed the wrong button on at 4 a.m. at the apartment building I was at which started the emergency horn to honking that took a little while to stop but probably not before the neighbors woke up a bit early in order to enjoy the show.

Bah Humbug.

Rant over for this old man, for now. :=)

·
Registered
201 Posts
While I would not give up the Auto up/down windows I wish Mazda had kept the manual parking break. If everyone starts implementing the transmission interface from the 2018 Honda Civic, i will also be joining you with your rant.

·
Registered
383 Posts
So, you pull up engage e brake accidentally leave interior light on battery runs flat, brake disengages, car rolls away?

No. It was my understanding of what was stated in the manual that was provided that the brake will not engage OR DISENGAGE with a dead battery. So in your example the battery would run dead and the brake would not disengage but you also couldn't disengage the parkign brake on the car to bump start it if it was a manual transmission either which is what i don't like about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts