2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like there is a kit that was developed for older miatas using an electric turbo and a 24v battery (2 12v motorcycle batts) that provides a very easy to install and use FI setup that gives nice gains.

Links to threads here:

Openflash Electric Supercharger (Dyno & Pics) - MX-5 Miata Forum

and here

OpenFlash ESC (Gen2) Official Results - MX-5 Miata Forum

And now it looks like they are developing a kit for the skyactiv 2.0 in the '16 Miata

ESC Development - OpenFlash PerformanceOpenFlash Performance

Has anyone looked into this any more or seen anyone doing something like this on a M3? I sent an email to them asking about other skyactiv vehicles and engines, waiting for a reply now.

·
Awesome Member
41 Posts
There is at least one example on the previous generation m3. I'm also following the ESC development with great interest. Wish they had a higher kW compressor motor option to move more air.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This would be very promising. I believe that tuner uses Phantom electric superchargers to get those kinds of gains. They have 2 models on the phantom website, and the higher model which I believe they are using for the ND should easily put out 200+ whp in the hands of the right tuner. There are also plenty of great examples on the Subaru BRZ.

New site - HOME

The cost would be far cheaper than a custom turbo kit as there is no need for all those custom turbo fabrication parts, including an elaborate skyactiv turbo manifold. The price/performance gain with this would hard to beat (70-100+ whp gain for $3000-4000). I just wonder about the reliability of these ESCs and those pricey batteries (x2).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Really hope to see this for the Mazda 3 ^_^

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it looks like someone got the phantom kit and put it on his mazda 3, there was a video at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYJ1sv-t23M

no dyno or other info tho

EDIT - i poked around this youtube channel and he does post a dyno run for his 2.5l 2nd gen m3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIQXxZSM5zk

at the end of the video he does a close up of the monitor showing 176.8 hp and 194.8 ft lbs, doesnt sound too bad compared to stock at 167 hp 167 ftlb

dunno what other mods are done to the car though

·
Awesome Member
41 Posts
I'm really hoping to see a kit developed for our platform as well. Packaging is really key to this kit. Most of the one-off kits look very shoddy and not suitable for long-term daily use. The BRZ and ND Miata kits are really at the level of development and fitment that a Mazda 3 kit should strive to meet or exceed.

The latest version of the compressor should be sufficient. I anticipate that more power could be made with that compressor, efficiently, with a higher power electric motor. A sufficiently higher capacity battery and charger system would also be needed. I'm really hoping that we see quality offerings soon.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm really hoping to see a kit developed for our platform as well. Packaging is really key to this kit. Most of the one-off kits look very shoddy and not suitable for long-term daily use. The BRZ and ND Miata kits are really at the level of development and fitment that a Mazda 3 kit should strive to meet or exceed.

The latest version of the compressor should be sufficient. I anticipate that more power could be made with that compressor, efficiently, with a higher power electric motor. A sufficiently higher capacity battery and charger system would also be needed. I'm really hoping that we see quality offerings soon.
Yeah, quality is the key. I wouldn't want to see the supercharger, electrical components, or batteries failing after a year. It would be nice to have long lasting components.

By new compressor, is the Phantom with 4000W (TQ25024V) the new model compared to the 3000W version (TQ18024V) listed on their website? They both seem to make around the same peak psi (4-5 psi observed at low rpms), but the higher wattage model would be able to achieve higher boost at higher rpm's due to its stronger compressor (greater ability to resist the high rpm engine vacuum).

I've discussed the possibility of a Phantom supercharger kit with Mat at OV Tuning recently. He'd be the best tuner to go with considering that he has the most experience with skyactiv's, and he's defined the most fueling maps. He mentioned that he would be interested in creating a kit for us if there was enough interest. I will continue to push for this in the near future as I believe there would be plenty of interest. At the moment, he is busy designing a very nice 4-2-1 header for the Mazda 3 Gen 3 skyactiv 2.0. This would aid the power gains achievable with a supercharger. We should see dyno results in a few weeks :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
at the end of the video he does a close up of the monitor showing 176.8 hp and 194.8 ft lbs, doesnt sound too bad compared to stock at 167 hp 167 ftlb
Kinda makes me wonder considering we have seen tunes on stock engines do this posted here without the electric supercharger. Perhaps his just needs a better tune.

I'm all for seeing this technology get better and better - just an observation on the figures posted.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Kinda makes me wonder considering we have seen tunes on stock engines do this posted here without the electric supercharger. Perhaps his just needs a better tune.
The stock numbers of 167/167 are at the crank. Those 2.5L MZRs develop around 140-150 whp and tq stock on the dyno... So 177 whp and 195 tq are actually decent gains with an electric supercharger. A better tune would likely help though.

One thing to keep in mind with ESCs, is that they add the most power in the low end where they develop the most boost. Gains in torque and horsepower will be larger in the low end than the top-end when comparing a tuned car vs. one that is tuned with an ESC. This is because boost is normally less than 2 psi on the top-end, but up to 5 psi on the low-end.

So far we have seen gains of around 60 whp/tq+ (70+ at the crank) on a tuned Miata ND skyactiv 2.0 with an ESC and header compared to a fully stock car. Link that was posted above:

ESC Development - OpenFlash PerformanceOpenFlash Performance

Note that the header in use was a 4-1 prototype, which is known to loose a bit of low-end torque compared to 4-2-1 designs. I'd expect to see huge gains in low-end on the Mazda 3 with an aftermarket 4-2-1 header, and ESC. The top-end gains would likely be a bit less than above, since Mazda 3 skyactiv engines have a lower top-end flowing exhaust cam compared to the 2.0 in the Miata ND.

Reactions: ElNino77

·
Registered
659 Posts
The stock numbers of 167/167 are at the crank.
Well that explains alot, so if we do the 15% rule on that we get 141hp, which means the 177hp at the wheels is about 35hp gain for peak at least. I'd be pretty impressed with that to start with.

Thanks for the info on this

·
Awesome Member
41 Posts
The TQ250 is the latest compressor option that I'm aware of. Although Phantom doesn't display the compressor map in the level of detail that Garrett does, from experience and observation I would anticipate that increasing just the motor power on the compressor would yield efficient gains vs opting for an even larger compressor. Airflow is the key to power and airflow is a direct function of available compressor power. You could use the fan affinity laws to ballpark peak airflow from a higher output electric motor based on the published airflow and power figures on the Phantom website.

I would definitely be interested in a high quality (read: OEM+ level) ESC kit that seamlessly blends and integrates into the engine bay. My application is 2.5L, so hopefully OVT has plans to develop an equally advanced header option to match their 2.0 header.

Yeah, quality is the key. I wouldn't want to see the supercharger, electrical components, or batteries failing after a year. It would be nice to have long lasting components.

By new compressor, is the Phantom with 4000W (TQ25024V) the new model compared to the 3000W version (TQ18024V) listed on their website? They both seem to make around the same peak psi (4-5 psi observed at low rpms), but the higher wattage model would be able to achieve higher boost at higher rpm's due to its stronger compressor (greater ability to resist the high rpm engine vacuum).

I've discussed the possibility of a Phantom supercharger kit with Mat at OV Tuning recently. He'd be the best tuner to go with considering that he has the most experience with skyactiv's, and he's defined the most fueling maps. He mentioned that he would be interested in creating a kit for us if there was enough interest. I will continue to push for this in the near future as I believe there would be plenty of interest. At the moment, he is busy designing a very nice 4-2-1 header for the Mazda 3 Gen 3 skyactiv 2.0. This would aid the power gains achievable with a supercharger. We should see dyno results in a few weeks :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would definitely be interested in a high quality (read: OEM+ level) ESC kit that seamlessly blends and integrates into the engine bay. My application is 2.5L, so hopefully OVT has plans to develop an equally advanced header option to match their 2.0 header.
They mentioned the other day that they will work on the 2.5L skyactiv header after the 2.0 is completed. They may also offer an ESC kit in the not so distance future.

·
Diesel Killer
31 Posts
First of all - this is an electric supercharger, not an electric turbo

And I am really concerned about the physicall size of this thing, how we are meant to fit it under the new Mzd3 Skyactiv hood ? Throttle body position has different rotation than in FRS/BRZ and miata mx5, that may cause some serious problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all - this is an electric supercharger, not an electric turbo

And I am really concerned about the physicall size of this thing, how we are meant to fit it under the new Mzd3 Skyactiv hood ? Throttle body position has different rotation than in FRS/BRZ and miata mx5, that may cause some serious problem.

http://s5.ifotos.pl/img/4232883or_seqessn.jpg

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42288&stc=1&d=1372297830
is there a technical reason why it would be called one over the other? a supercharger is driven by the crank whereas a turbo is driven by exhaust gasses

this is neither and yet it is still forced induction using an electric motor and batteries that are replenished by the cars electrical system

as far as it not fitting under the hood i have no idea what could be done to make this an easy drop in and usable kit

i have not received any response from the esc guys, is there a lot less room in the new gen mz3 vs last gen?

·
Registered
606 Posts
It is an Electric SuperCharger (ESC) by definition, but I'm not too concerned about that.

The Phantom did fit in the 2nd gen Mazda 3 skyactiv engine bay which is about as cramped as the 3rd gen. The project was never completed as some electronics failed on the prototype ESC used, and they didn't follow-through with repairs. I'm not sure if it was the latest and strongest model (TQ250) in that thread, as I was told it was a tester/prototype from Phantom. Hopefully the actual kits sold by Phantom are more reliable. The tuner selling kits on the Miata ND mentioned they are fairly reliable.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ance/72378-phantom-supercharger-skyactiv.html

1410664119720.jpg

·
Awesome Member
41 Posts
We can only hope. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities with an ESC. :nerd:

They mentioned the other day that they will work on the 2.5L skyactiv header after the 2.0 is completed. They may also offer an ESC kit in the not so distance future.

1 Posts
Hi guys,
A fellow forum member pointed me to this thread. An ESC for the Mazda 3 is certainly within the realm of possibility. But first we need to release the kit for the MX5 ND. Design and calibration are all done. All that is left is actually building the hardware.
Best Regards,
Shiv

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
This is a searchable, archived forum -- how has the thread made it to page 2 without mention of @StaFForD? You know, the guy who actually had the running Gen2 Skyactiv prototype Phantom?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
They used an old picture of mine 3 replies back too lol

Btw how the MAF sensor was sitting in that pic, it wouldn't read properly and I had to find another way for it to fit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did it all work out Stafford? Care to share your experience with it? I dont see it on your list of mods.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts