2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
On the day I bought my 2015 CX-5 my parents were with me. For the test drive the car salesman asks my father, whos 66 years old, if he wanted to give it a test drive. We all got in the car and my dad didn't know how to start the car because it didn't have a key. It was a priceless moment.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This story still makes no sense. Running the car out of battery by honking the horn would take forever. also smashing windows apparently was impossible? Plus.... I've spent 13hours in a car driving without stopping before.... why would that almost kill you, unless you didn't have water or something.

Nonetheless we all have done dumb things. When I first drove the Ms3 I couldn't figure out Reverse...... had to call someone. lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't get it. Could they not just grab the handle and open the door as normal? Generally speaking, grabbing the handle to open the door will disengage the lock. Unless the child locks are on... but no child locks up front, soooo....

I haven't checked out the newer keyless Mazdas but logic would say the same mechanics apply...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sooo... In my 2015 if I pull the handle on the door it opens.... locked or not. It almost seems impossible that someone would try to smash a window with a tire iron and not even try to pull on the bright shiny silver door handle.....Neither of them??. (....& where did they get the tire iron? crawl into the back and somehow get to it and try to smash a window, but can't pull a handle?)

I'm not trying to be too negative here, but are you sure this news site isn't a satire site like the "Onion"?

·
Registered
251 Posts
It doesn't really make sense, no.

The only thing that may have happened is a typical "OMG incomprehensible new technology!" taken to sad extreme. Can't possibly understand the new technology, it must be all different, etc.

The reality is (although I had to double check!) there are traditional lock/unlock buttons on each front door inside, just like anything with power locks in the last umpteen years. My settings are such that I never touch these, but they are there.

Personally, I was unaware that pulling the handle would open the door even if "locked". I'm so used to and sick of automatic locking doors in all my rental cars over the years that I turned the feature off! When I shift into gear, my doors do not lock and are never locked while driving. I believe the settings in the Mazda are probably okay, in that it unlocks when shifted into park, but occasionally a passenger tries to get out before that point. Some of the rentals only unlocked after turning off the ignition, which was much more of a pain. Apparently in some of those cars pulling the handle twice would have opened it, but I never knew that.

Even not knowing that though, if they got in the car and the fob was outside, why would it be locked? More likely it wasn't. Just open the door! Seems to me like if this is real they never even tried to simply open the door. They just psyched themselves out in the first few seconds with that "OMG new tech we can't get out!" thinking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If they couldn't figure out how to get out of it, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be anywhere near them if one of them was to actually drive the thing. Opening the door (which -- as mentioned -- can be done just by pulling the damn handle when locked) is one of the easier things to do. Are these people going to have a clue how to operate anything on the center of the dash?

Sorry, gram and gramps, time to give up the license. Your offspring, taxis or Uber can shuttle you around now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those of you over-analyzing the locking system (and for good reason -- this whole story is ridiculous), let me clarify:

The car was unlocked the entire time.

Instead of buying the car at the dealership and driving it home, the couple had the dealer drop off the car at their house, and leave it in their garage. Because it was left in their closed garage, the dealer left it unlocked.

Without the key fob, the couple got into their unlocked car for the first time, shut the door without the key fob, and then proceeded to believe that, without the key fob, they could not to get any controls to function, including any way to open the doors.

The car never actually locked at any point in their possession.

They started honking their horn and then climbed in the back to grab the jack to then start trying to smash the window of their unlocked car before ever pulling the door handle.

After the 13 hours, they overworked themselves mentally and physically and almost died.

I'm guessing there was probably some farting involved and they might have suffocated, but that's my own speculation. Also, potential bladder explosion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How do you know it was unlocked? I haven't heard that reported anywhere. Though it's obvious there is no way they'd be locked in the car unless they locked the door themselves. I was assuming they somehow accidentally hit the door lock button though that seems like a stretch...

·
Registered
326 Posts
It does, the story seems to imply that they didn't even try because they thought it wouldn't work.
Maybe a poor explanation, or not enough repetition, on the salesman's part?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Considering they didn't have their magical key-fob with them, the doors were unlocked when they got in and like you said, they would of had to lock it from the inside with the button that locks all doors, or the flips on each door, which they would of had to do on driver and passenger sides. So sounds like it was unlocked.

This makes me wonder how they are still alive in their 60s...

How do you know it was unlocked? I haven't heard that reported anywhere. Though it's obvious there is no way they'd be locked in the car unless they locked the door themselves. I was assuming they somehow accidentally hit the door lock button though that seems like a stretch...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts