2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you audiophiles....I want to add some sound insulation in the form of foam or the like to my door cavities. I've already added dynomat type material to the door skins for vibration dampening, but now am working on exterior noise reduction. Will adding material to the door cavities reduce the bass response of my speakers? I upgraded my stock speakers to some decent sounding Kenwoods, and I'd hate to take a step backwards.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you want to reduce exterior noise, best bet is to get alternative tires. The stock tires create much of the road noise you hear when driving along the roads.

Reactions: flipbish

·
Registered
241 Posts
to get the best bass response installers in the Philippines normally do it this way:

1. put oem (butyl deadening sheets) similar to your trunk insulation or under seat insulation at the inner door to lessen metal resonance. They use butyl with aluminum sheets as well similar to dynamat or stp if you have more dough.

2. put similar deadening where the plastic membrane is located.

3. last but not the least, they put acoustic foam and similar deadening as the first two in the door trim as the cardboard and plastic also resonates.
no pics but you get the idea

Hardcore audiophiles even put these deadening at the roof, firewall and floor. But i stick to the three above and for sure it will have a big effect even on your stock speaker output.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. My car came with the Bridgestone Ecopia tires...don't hear as many complaints from others on this forum about these as some of the other stock tires, but will definitely be looking for a quiet tire when these are gone

in response to pdc001: as a matter of fact I just finished tearing out the entire interior of my car this past weekend (except dash and headliner) and installing this: db3 acousticle barrier, homedepot.com

along with 1/2" re-bond carpet pad on every surface I could access. A serious job, but do-able.

As I said in my original queary, i have already put dynamat on the door skins inside the doors, but my question is:"Will filling up the space inside the door with foam, or for that matter with anything, reduce the base response of the speakers?"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My car came with the Bridgestone Ecopia tires...don't hear as many complaints from others on this forum about these as some of the other stock tires, but will definitely be looking for a quiet tire when these are gone

in response to pdc001: as a matter of fact I just finished tearing out the entire interior of my car this past weekend (except dash and headliner) and installing this: db3 acousticle barrier, homedepot.com

along with 1/2" re-bond carpet pad on every surface I could access. A serious job, but do-able.

As I said in my original queary, i have already put dynamat on the door skins inside the doors, but my question is:"Will filling up the space inside the door with foam, or for that matter with anything, reduce the base response of the speakers?"
I would doubt it, the speakers are not using the empty space in the door as an encloser (box).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts