2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody try to remap his car yet? I have the 2.0L sport car. Mazda dealers dont offer the 2.5L car in my country, Lebanon. I find the 148HP car a bit slow so i really want to remap my car. With the remap, the car becomes 198HP. VERY tempting.

Please advise and help..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is it really as simple as a remap to get more horsepower? If so, would it damage the engine or transmission (in my case, the automatic transmission in the 2.5L), or would it void the warranty?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Did anybody try to remap his car yet? I have the 2.0L sport car. Mazda dealers dont offer the 2.5L car in my country, Lebanon. I find the 148HP car a bit slow so i really want to remap my car. With the remap, the car becomes 198HP. VERY tempting.

Please advise and help..
I have not heard of anyone doing this yet. But, if it makes an additional 50hp, I can't wait to get it done to my 2.0L!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is.. ECU remap is all computerized.. No chips or funny business. I asked around and the car would still be under warranty and everything. But the problem is I cant find someone that can do it.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
So, someone is saying they can squeeze over 30% more power out of your engine with only ECU tuning AND it will still be covered under warranty? Seems impossible to be. Is Mazda saying it will be covered or is an independant shop saying that? I can pretty much guarantee Mazda wouldn't cover a mod like that, if it's true.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know thats what i thought but check it out on the internet.. Its called bluephin ECU remap. It adds 30% of your initial HP. My friend has a vw sirocco and he remapped his car about a week ago. He had 200HP and now has 260HP. He didnt play with the engine or anything. It was done through a computer that was connected to the car and took around 2 hours to complete. It has to do with the rpm!!

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
Hey if thats what you wanna do, go for it, but don't say we didnt warn youuuuu...They do this alot to turboed and heavily modded cars, but it generally doesn't have the same results on non-boosted or stock cars, so do this at your own risk! Post results of your ECU remap, and let us know what happens.:nuke::nuke:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhh ur probably right i didnt think about that.. my friends sirocco came with a turbo already. The thing is i dunno know if i can do it on my car. Thats why i wanted to see if someone already tried to do it.

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
Yeah, the thing about turbos is that thhey take reeeeeallly well to ECU reflashes, and non-turboes wont really do as well withh them, since they arent used to using that much juice...Im sure you can do it on your car, but imho, I'd wait till you have a few mods on your car to reflash your ECU, such as full exhaust and intake. At least thhen you could maximize your ECU to the fullest air flow mapping settings, but the ECU generally adapts to that iff you let the engine idle for 5 minutes or so after installing something like that...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thx for that.. Just one question? what can i do to make my car faster if i decided not to do the ECU remap? I really want that extra push when i press gas.

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
I'll be adding the corksport Intake and Exhaust to mine as soon as they come out...that will definitely free up some HP for your car. If your get the Corksport SRI tho, get the ColdAir box, so you don't get heatsoak...It'll just suck in cold air, or whatever air the outside temperature is, which is always better than enginee compartment-temp airz...

http://www.corksport.com/
:yes:

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Intake, full exhaust (cat-back, headers, mid-pipe), underdrive pulleys, ECU tune, and intake manifold. That's about it for bolt-on's. Beyond that, camshafts and a full engine build. You could also add a turbo kit. Of course, none of these parts have been released for the 2010 yet, lol.

·
'10 Mazda 3 S Sport 6 spd
135 Posts
Sorry to hear the 2.5 is not offerred. Derrick offerred a great list of suggested mods. Do they offer the Speed 3 in Lebanon. Or a .50 cal roof mounted machine gun?

·
Hybr1d_7h3ory
29 Posts
I'll be adding the corksport Intake and Exhaust to mine as soon as they come out...that will definitely free up some HP for your car. If your get the Corksport SRI tho, get the ColdAir box, so you don't get heatsoak...It'll just suck in cold air, or whatever air the outside temperature is, which is always better than enginee compartment-temp airz...

CorkSport Mazda Performance - 360-260-CORK
:yes:
I know this is off topic. But is the cold air box just a plastic add on the the intake the kind of separates/shields the filter from the engine compartment so it can pull in cooler air. Or is it another step in the intake process?

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
I know this is off topic. But is the cold air box just a plastic add on the the intake the kind of separates/shields the filter from the engine compartment so it can pull in cooler air. Or is it another step in the intake process?
Yep, exactly as you said. It is a cover that shields the short ram intake from hot temperatures, and only lets air in through the air dam, and doesnt pull air from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'll tell you flat out you are NOT going to get 30% more hp from ECU program mods on a naturally aspirated engine. 5-8% maybe.

A turbo engine from the factory is probably running rich (excess fuel in the mixture). A rich mixture helps ensure that the engine is less likely to go "BANG" due to pre-ignition or detonation (this is because the excess fuel cools the combustion chamber). It also helps keep the exhaust driven turbine cool at WOT. This is why a lot of turbo cars can a get a big increase in an ECU mod, there's a lot of power left on the table in that extra richness. Lean it out and power goes way up (so do the odds of going BANG, but a good tuner keeps enough safety).

On a NA engine, there's a bit of power to be had in leaning the mixture a tad, playing with ignition curves, removing any torque controls that may be built-in, etc. My 450 hp Dodge had huge amounts of torque reduced to "protect" ordinary drivers from themselves. Once removed with a Predator Diablo tune, driveablity was hugely increased.

If you make intake and exhaust mods to your car (CAI, hi-flow cats and exhaust, new intake manifold, etc.) then you can really optimize the changes with a retune. The intake and exhaust mods increase the airflow through the engine well beyond stock parameters, and the stock ECU usually can't account for the entire increase.

But do be aware, ALL manufacturers will void your engine warranty if they discover the tunes mods. Your transmission and axle/transaxle may also be voided. NO EXCEPTIONS, there are NO manufacturers that will tolerate non-authorized ECU mods. Just be very clear on that!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts