2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to check the ECM version in a 3 Skyactiv? I would also like to know what the latest version is and getting the latest version is something I have to keep track of?

I am asking because I was reading an article about carbon build up in DI engines and according to this article Direct Injection Engines and Carbon Deposits - Engine Builder Magazine

"But the number one method for preventing a carbon buildup problem is updating the engine management software. New software can reduce carbon deposits by reducing the exposure of the valves to conditions that cause carbon buildup by adjusting valve and spark timing.

Don’t assume that you will find a TSB saying that a reflash of the ECM will correct a carbon buildup problem because most of the updates will be contained in normal housekeeping that may never mention a problem. You may even have to check the OEM’s website to see if the vehicle has the latest version of the software."

Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does anyone know how to check the ECM version in a 3 Skyactiv? I would also like to know what the latest version is and getting the latest version is something I have to keep track of?

I am asking because I was reading an article about carbon build up in DI engines and according to this article Direct Injection Engines and Carbon Deposits - Engine Builder Magazine

"But the number one method for preventing a carbon buildup problem is updating the engine management software. New software can reduce carbon deposits by reducing the exposure of the valves to conditions that cause carbon buildup by adjusting valve and spark timing.

Don’t assume that you will find a TSB saying that a reflash of the ECM will correct a carbon buildup problem because most of the updates will be contained in normal housekeeping that may never mention a problem. You may even have to check the OEM’s website to see if the vehicle has the latest version of the software."

Thanks!
The article you quote is close to two years old, maybe longer. Another article from about the same time leads me to feel that there is no problem for our Mazdas.

Is Carbon Buildup a Problem With Direct-Injection Engines?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The article you quote is close to two years old, maybe longer. Another article from about the same time leads me to feel that there is no problem for our Mazdas.

Is Carbon Buildup a Problem With Direct-Injection Engines?
Thanks for sharing the article; I read it and see that even it states: "Additionally software plays a huge role. “What I think is most overlooked is the PCM calibration itself,” the engine-control computer.

“I believe it’s the absolute key to preventing the bulk of this buildup by making the air and fuel burn as completely and cleanly as possible.” Laskowski also said a simple software update can yield dramatic results."

So I am hoping someone can help answer my original question.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry, I cannot tell you what ECM version you have in your car.

But as I read the articles on this issue, my conclusion is that the problems were with certain German cars during earlier model years before the the G3 Mazdas. There is no indication that there is a problem with ECM firmware in our cars. Any such issues would most likely have been resolved before our cars were manufactured.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts