2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
205 Posts
hmm.. that process seems like a PITA.. tbh.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,267 Posts
They have better fade resistance and last longer, which makes up for it.

People that say they glazed over after their first track day didn't break them in properly.. not really a good track choice anyways.
CK

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
205 Posts
Well, I wouldn't be able to switch to something like the EBCs until after I've completed my tuning process.

·
Registered
230 Posts
They have better fade resistance and last longer, which makes up for it.

People that say they glazed over after their first track day didn't break them in properly.. not really a good track choice anyways.
CK
Green Stuff are not made for track. They are just a light upgrade over stock. Even Red Stuff are not for the track.
After one track session I managed to turn them to Yellow Stuff haha :) The red paint cooked to yellow :)
If track pad is required, probably the Yellow Stuff will suit best, however it comes with a lot of dust and some noise, typical for track ready pads.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't believe it. This wasn't what they had 7-8 years ago :How to bed in your new brakes for street/urban driving

"After full width contact band is attained make a further 10 stops from 60 mph to 10 mph in succession with a deliberate attempt to get the brakes hot. Some smells may occur even slight smoke during this final heat up stage of the pads in early life. Then coast the vehicle for a mile to allow discs to cool. Do not pull up and park vehicle with brake excessively hot. You must try to get the discs down to below 60-80 degrees C temperature before parking the vehicle. "

If you didn't do this they used to screech for months. Of course they may have changed the pads compound since to suit a different, more mellow, market .

·
Super Moderator
5,475 Posts
I don't believe it. This wasn't what they had 7-8 years ago :How to bed in your new brakes for street/urban driving

"After full width contact band is attained make a further 10 stops from 60 mph to 10 mph in succession with a deliberate attempt to get the brakes hot. Some smells may occur even slight smoke during this final heat up stage of the pads in early life. Then coast the vehicle for a mile to allow discs to cool. Do not pull up and park vehicle with brake excessively hot. You must try to get the discs down to below 60-80 degrees C temperature before parking the vehicle. "

If you didn't do this they used to screech for months. Of course they may have changed the pads compound since to suit a different, more mellow, market .
Yes, you still need to do the hard stop sequence to get material transfer and proper bedding.
The quote from the earlier post was only the first steps to get you to the full width contact band part. The hard stop part to heat up the pads is still there, but you need to read down a bit further.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
205 Posts
Can’t be going all gentle on the brakes while I’m evaluating my tunes. Ruins all the fun.

Reactions: CerealKiller

·
Super Moderator
5,475 Posts
You don't need to go easy on the brakes. In fact, with new brakes you need to get them hot a few times to bed them in properly.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts