2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to get new brakes, and while the rotors are fine and I really just need new pads, I couldn't help but look into some aftermarket slotted rotors for that sporty look. I am in no way trying to drastically improve brake performance as with a big brake kit, but I came across this listing for an EBC brake kit with rotors and pads and wanted to know if anyone had experience or thoughts on the kit?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
154 Posts
I’ve heard good things about the yellow stuff pads. Not sure about the rotors. When I swap out my brakes, I’m likely opting for the solid rotors. None of the slots or drilled.

Reactions: PaulKim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks good if you are into those type of rotors. I'm a fan of blanks on my daily and slots on weekend/track car.

Reason being less wear, less noise, and less dust on street with blanks.

I'm still flip flopping on what pads to get. If you end up with EBC yellow please post how you like them.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,147 Posts
I have the EBC RK rotors and Green Stuff 2000 front pads. Much better than OEM.. higher heat resistance, better fade resistance and the pads bite super hard when you want them too.

If only they made rear pads for my ride.. I may need to swap a BBK in or something to fix the rears.. lame.
CK

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also have the EBC RK rotors (Stage 12) on the front and rear, but with Redstuff pads. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
154 Posts
I have the EBC RK rotors and Green Stuff 2000 front pads. Much better than OEM.. higher heat resistance, better fade resistance and the pads bite super hard when you want them too.

If only they made rear pads for my ride.. I may need to swap a BBK in or something to fix the rears.. lame.
CK
I heard the Green Stuff produce a lot of dust. What has your experience been with them? According to their site, the Yellow Stuff has very little dust.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
154 Posts
I also have the EBC RK rotors (Stage 12) on the front and rear, but with Redstuff pads. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
How’s the dust and noise level with the Red Stuff?

·
Registered
223 Posts
According to their site, the Yellow Stuff has very little dust.
Can't believe that. The Yellow Stuff is track ready compound which makes a lot of dust and some noise. The Red Stuff has minimal dust because it's ceramic based.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
No problems with dust or noise.
CK

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
154 Posts
Can't believe that. The Yellow Stuff is track ready compound which makes a lot of dust and some noise. The Red Stuff has minimal dust because it's ceramic based.
That's just what I saw on the EBC site that displays the profile of their brake pads.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
154 Posts
Dust level is 1/10 and noise level is 0/10.
There seems to be so much variation in people's experience with both Red Stuff and Yellow Stuff. People on this board say no dust or noise, but when I check stuff online or Youtube, there's like a ton of dust and squealing... I may just go with the Akebono ProAct pads.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There seems to be so much variation in people's experience with both Red Stuff and Yellow Stuff. People on this board say no dust or noise, but when I check stuff online or Youtube, there's like a ton of dust and squealing... I may just go with the Akebono ProAct pads.
Could it be that they're using Red Stuff pads with stock rotors?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
154 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dust level is 1/10 and noise level is 0/10.
Don't believe that. If you don't break the Red Stuff pads in as per manufacturers recommendations (which is a bit hairy) they'll screech for months. Other than that, I find them pretty good.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
154 Posts
Are you all using EBC rotors? I'm looking into the Bosch QuietCast.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
EBC RK rotors
CK

Reactions: Silver sGT

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't believe that. If you don't break the Red Stuff pads in as per manufacturers recommendations (which is a bit hairy) they'll screech for months. Other than that, I find them pretty good.
Believe it man. There's nothing hairy about the process...this is from their site:

"Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied.
Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes."

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Breaking in my Greenstuff 2000s took forever, but it was well worth it. My rotors appreciated it for sure.

My only problem is that I have to remember that the car behind me DOESN'T HAVE my stopping ability.. or the ability to downshift super fast.. O_O
CK

1 - 20 of 29 Posts